Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried to upload the video but apparently it is too large so if there's anybody that wants to PM me to take a look please do so. you might know a little something about this problem or if you have had the problem. I can send a text to you or possibly an email of it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take it to a different dealer.
If that's not a option, and you can't get this resolved trade it in and be done with it. I am all about Ram but if u took one of their mechanics and it the service writer with you and they still say " tough love" - Fck em... No need to risk ur life or ur families life or someone else on the road over brand loyalty-
But like I said - try a different dealer first, I would be furious if I had this issue.. let's call it a 45k truck launching a 20k plus boat... and the one time u don't get it stopped...
Sorry it's a no brainer to me.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Take it to a different dealer.
If that's not a option, and you can't get this resolved trade it in and be done with it.

OP, as suggested, try another dealer. I had to go through three dealers before the fourth one had a competent tech that fixes an issue I had. It is amazing how often the dealers use the phrase "working as designed". I ask to see the document that describes the working as design, I get anything from hee-hawing to can't show you because it is confidential.

While trading in is a solution for those of you with means it isn't feasible for all, I for one couldn't afford the loss on a new truck.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Does anyone know if the ram 2500 with the Diesel has any difference in brakes than that of the ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Is it a better or more powerful braking system with the diesel?

The gas powered RAM HDs use a vacuum brake booster, the ABS pump is used as a backup if an issue is detected (source is the RAM HD brochure).

Since diesels do not create a vacuum at idle (no throttle to create restrictions) engineers use hydraulic pressure (commonly referred to as Hydro-Boost) generated by the power steering pump to provide brake assist.

I don't know if one system is better than the other, I would say that since RAM uses both they are both capable.

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BossHog thank you for the info on the brakes. That makes sense why my buddy's 2014 ram 2500 cummins was better than mine.

Ratket as far as trading it...I think I will try another dealer and then if that doesn't work I am going to have to do something. I like to take my boat to lakes and without brakes that is not possible.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are backing down the ramp when tiphis is happening put the truck in neutral and you probably will be able to control it now. When backing up the surge breaks are locked out from the purple 5th pin on the trailer harness so you have only the truck brakes stopping both. In 4Lo with the extra torque at idle, plus the weight of the boat it can be a lot.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are backing down the ramp when tiphis is happening put the truck in neutral and you probably will be able to control it now. When backing up the surge breaks are locked out from the purple 5th pin on the trailer harness so you have only the truck brakes stopping both. In 4Lo with the extra torque at idle, plus the weight of the boat it can be a lot.

Even if the surge brakes weren't locked out by the reverse solenoid, they still would not help....they only work when tongue is compressed, as in the trailer is moving towards the truck...not away from.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may be wrong but I think starting in 2015 both diesel and gas use the same hydro boost setup. In any case, a failure of either boost type would merely cause higher pedal pressure but that's not what the OP is experiencing.

It's probably best to look at the two different scenarios separately. When putting the boat in the trailer surge brakes do not really do anything. However the OP mentions using 4low when backing up on the ramp. 4low in reverse is a pretty low ratio and it takes quite some brake pressure to hold against the engine. How does it behave in 4low on flat ground without trailer ?

On the road it may well be the surge brakes aren't working and the vehicle brakes are overworked. Was the trailer recently tested with a different vehicle ?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
However the OP mentions using 4low when backing up on the ramp. 4low in reverse is a pretty low ratio and it takes quite some brake pressure to hold against the engine.

^This. Backing a boat down a ramp isn't a situation that calls for 4 LO. OP, have you actually tried using 4 lock, and if so, was the result the same?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I brought the extra braking effort up in post #7 while in 4x4 low but the OP didn't comment.

This would be an excellent test but I can't get the one point the OP mentioned about the brake pedal going to the floor.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I would think there is a loss of pressure in reverse could be the booster or the master cylinder either way I would be seeing another dealer it could fail while your driving forward.

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jimmy07 I do not have 4 Lock...I have 2high, 4High, and 4Low with the option to have neutral.

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BossHogg yea back in#7 you had mentioned that it took your truck time to break in...and asked the mileage of mine. You may not have seen my response, NP, but my truck has about 9400 miles right now and yes I used 4 Low.

I'm not sure what you mean by you don't get my brake pedal going to the floor...I don't think I understand what you are asking or stating. If you are ok with it and would PM an email address I will send you a small video of this past Saturday. I tried to put it on here but apparently it is to large of a file...the noise that my truck makes is absolutely horrible and the pedal is against the floor. Maybe it will help me if someone sees or hears it...

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Jimmy07 I do not have 4 Lock...I have 2high, 4High, and 4Low with the option to have neutral.

That would be 4 HI. I take it you have the manual transfer case. Either way, have you tried it in 4 HI, then?

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just my opinions.
You don't need 4x4 hi or low to back a boat down into the water.
The boat weighs a lot more than your truck, you're using low range, moving downhill against your brakes, with that heavy boat pulling you downhill. I agree you should be able to stop, but in that situation you should expect it to be difficult. I haul a loaded three horse trailer with my 2500 and even with electric trailer brakes it doesn't stop on a dime or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jimmy07...yes I have tried it in 4HI also with the same results.

Sticknstring this is a very step ramp...but I am willing to try it at this point...I will have to wait till next weekend though to do it.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jimmy07...yes I have tried it in 4HI also with the same results.

Sticknstring this is a very step ramp...but I am willing to try it at this point...I will have to wait till next weekend though to do it.

Maybe just back down in 2wd and go to 4x4 only when you come back up, at least then on the way down you'll only have two wheels working against you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
the noise that my truck makes is absolutely horrible and the pedal is against the floor.

If your brakes are making noise, I would check to see if the brakes pads are glazed over. If your on your brakes while stopping(regular driving) more than about 100'-150', you need to start braking harder. Maybe one of the pads broke, but you would hear that all the time. Pull the wheels and do a visual inspection, and/or post up some pics.
Unless you don't have a LSD and are slipping, there is no reason for putting the truck in 4X4 to go up or down the ramp.
When the pedal hits the floor, can you pump up the brakes? Can you pump them up while parked? the same thing with the truck off?

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Crash68 thank you I will check yo see if they pump while parked...never thought to try but will as well as when off

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it is a steep hill and not concrete or pavement keep it in 4x4 otherwise the front wheels will lock up and you will have no steering. Keeping it in 4x4 will keep the front wheels from locking up as they are locked with the back wheels.

I have a steep gravel boat launch and have the truck in 4Lo but keep the transmission in neutral going down the hill. It makes a huge difference in braking power keeping it in neutral.