Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keeping it in neurtral shouldn't be needed tho...

I had a 97 dually, 12v CTD with the hydroboost brakes system, and I never had to worry about brakes on steep ramps........mine was a manual, so I backed up, and once gravity started taking over, I'd push the clutch in and put it in a forward gear just in case.

I guess what I did was the same as neutral, but my brakes always worked awesome.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Brett sent me his video showing the issue of the brake pedal against the floor as the truck slowly inched down the ramp. He could not stop the truck. If anyone would like to see this PM your email and I will forward you the video, about 18 megs big.

I can't believe, after demonstrating this issue to a dealership, they would let him take the truck without fixing it. Brett, you need to find an attorney, perhaps start with the lemon law attornies and see if they would take the case.

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you BossHogg I will look into this. I appreciate your time and suggestions.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a different dealer- Any update?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Strange, I think he said they tried a similar truck and it did the same thing, if that is the case, it's likely a problem the dealer can't fix. It would take corporate to get involved, which is like pulling teeth even getting them to admit there is a problem, much less fix it.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Unless both trucks have the same failed part, unlikely but possible

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yoda you are absolutely right. They do not want to admit anything.

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yoda,
Yes they tried another Ram 2500 with the same response...they are claiming at Ram that they could not demonstrate the problem...such BS

I also just tried to call Ram again to find out why I have not gotten a call back from a supervisor about this problem. They told me after failed attempts to reach me they closed the case. I told them that they were full of it and told them to re-open it and that I want to speak to the supervisor ASAP. I think they at RAM forget that all cell phones have caller ID. I had not gotten any calls. I got 2 which I answered and asked for a call back in an hour due to the fact that I was with patients. I never received the call backs...all they do is prolong instead of fix.

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't been on for a week or so but here is an update...I talked to RAM again last week. I was told that going into UConnect, I could change braking ability based on the trailer I was pulling...I made changes and am going to try to put the boat in this weekend (was suppose to last weekend, but water was to high) once I see what happens, RAM told me that if the changes do not help, then i am to take it to another dealer to have it evaluated again.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I talked to RAM again last week. I was told that going into UConnect, I could change braking ability based on the trailer I was pulling...I made changes and am going to try to put the boat in this weekend (was suppose to last weekend, but water was to high)

I have an eerie suspicion that whoever you talked to at Ram about this is full of chit!
Those settings in the radio are for electric brakes, not the surge brakes you have on your boat trailer. The settings changes the voltage/current output based on the brake type you set it for and the amount of brake pressure applied.
I have a sneaking suspicion there may be an issue with a proportioning valve for the rear brakes.
Where about you located? Someone might be able to recommend a good dealer.

OP
OP
C

Chiroboater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
crash...I think you are absolutely right. I said the same thing to them about the electric brakes...not surge. I am in northcentral PA...

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Put the video on YouTube, start getting vids of every time you launch and tweet the vids to RAM to make sure they are seen.

Post the links here and rack up the views and see how RAM likes that.

Pursue the lemon law, did you video the service writer duplicating the situation?

Almost like they are trying to get you back into a Ford....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your brakes work fine unloaded. I wonder if you threw a several hundred pounds in the bed along with the trailer (boat trailers don't have much tongue weight), to see if the problem goes away or gets worse.
The older 2500 Rams used a height sensing proportioning valve for the rear brakes.

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the same problem with my 2016 Power Wagon. Same bs with the dealer. Brakes couldn't lock the tires if my life depended on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963