Calculating Tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terrellw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Forgive me if this has been answered. I did search.

I would like to have some advice on my logic for tire pressure to make the ride in my 2016 2500 more comfortable.

All my estimates are printed or a little on high side to be safe.

Tires are stock Firestone LT275/70R18

EVIC I believe wants 80 psi in back and 65 in front. Tires are 80 max

For daily travel -

Curb weight unloaded is 6800 lbs, plus ~400 for passengers
I will use for front 4200 (max) /2 (2 tires)=2100 per tire
for back 3200 + 1000 (occasional payload max for me)=4200/2=2100 per tire.

Is the next step as simple as checking the firestone chart online for the tire and looking at the column for "single?" (http://commercial.firestone.com/con...015/FS_TBR_load-inflation-tables_web_2014.pdf)

If so, it recommends 45 psi for 2470 lbs. I do not know at the top of the cart what "Tires mounted on 5-degree drop center rims means." I assume that is what I would have with a stock setup.

45 psi seems low, so I would be fine I think around 55-60 psi on each. I know the EVIC will not be happy, but I can still see what they are on the screen to "manually" check pressure.

I do occasionally tow a travel trailer that would max out around 6500 lbs.
Tongue weight is around 600 lbs, but I do have weight distribution hooked up, so I must be less than 600 tongue weight. I was thinking I could use the same logic as above, except where I added 1000 lbs payload estimate, I could add 2000 (600 tongue weight and 1400 payload). Not sure I would even be that heavy.

3200 + 2000=5200/2=2600 per tire. That would put me more around 50 psi recommended on the chart. Again if I stayed in the 55-60 range I would be safe.

OK - Please tell me what I missed or messed up. I threw this all together with no experience or previous knowledge, just charts and numbers that I tried to pull together. Would be nice if Ram had a chart, but I assume that is a liability issue.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I run 60 all the way around till I tow and then back to 80 in the rears.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Slot of guys run 55-60 empty and there's a sticky somewhere that talking about lowering the threashold for you tpms. Maybe search for that in the heavy duty section.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

I would like to have some advice on my logic for tire pressure to make the ride in my 2016 2500 more comfortable.

All my estimates are printed or a little on high side to be safe.

Tires are stock Firestone LT275/70R18

EVIC I believe wants 80 psi in back and 65 in front. Tires are 80 max

For daily travel -

Curb weight unloaded is 6800 lbs, plus ~400 for passengers
I will use for front 4200 (max) /2 (2 tires)=2100 per tire
for back 3200 + 1000 (occasional payload max for me)=4200/2=2100 per tire.

Is the next step as simple as checking the firestone chart online for the tire and looking at the column for "single?" (http://commercial.firestone.com/con...015/FS_TBR_load-inflation-tables_web_2014.pdf)

If so, it recommends 45 psi for 2470 lbs. I do not know at the top of the cart what "Tires mounted on 5-degree drop center rims means." I assume that is what I would have with a stock setup.

45 psi seems low, so I would be fine I think around 55-60 psi on each. I know the EVIC will not be happy, but I can still see what they are on the screen to "manually" check pressure.

I do occasionally tow a travel trailer that would max out around 6500 lbs.
Tongue weight is around 600 lbs, but I do have weight distribution hooked up, so I must be less than 600 tongue weight. I was thinking I could use the same logic as above, except where I added 1000 lbs payload estimate, I could add 2000 (600 tongue weight and 1400 payload). Not sure I would even be that heavy.

3200 + 2000=5200/2=2600 per tire. That would put me more around 50 psi recommended on the chart. Again if I stayed in the 55-60 range I would be safe.

OK - Please tell me what I missed or messed up. I threw this all together with no experience or previous knowledge, just charts and numbers that I tried to pull together. Would be nice if Ram had a chart, but I assume that is a liability issue.
The correct pressure has already been determined for your truck, its printed on a label on the door or body, drivers side. its calculated for your vehicles gvw.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

I have the same tires.

I'd say you have to consider a few factors and even then generally go with what is written on the side of your door.

Tire side wall blow outs are caused by under inflated tires over heating and blowing.

I'd go with the 60 on the front.

Rear you have to consider how much of a more comfortable ride you would get - it is a truck.

Towing - go with 80 in the back no matter what and look and consider if you have to go above 60 on the front to handle the weight (assuming you are using a weight distribution hitch). You may want to go to 70 or more to handle the load.

OP
OP
T

terrellw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks to everyone for your quick replies. I am new to the forum, and this morning checked the thread curious to see if anyone commented - and was surprised to see many thoughtful replies.

I am towing this weekend, so I will leave the pressure at 60 and 80 until then. In teresting suggestion to consider 70 in front. I would have thought the trailer weight would be negligible in the front.

After towing this weekend, I will try 60 in the front and rear. Since they are all 4 the same tires it makes sense that if 60 in the front is safe, then 60 must also be OK in the back, especially since the back will be lighter - unless I load up more than 1000 lbs in the bed.

I appreciate and agree with the comment that "it is a truck." If if it does not ride better then I am still happy if I get no improvement. The truck is great in so many ways. I just thought if it is safe to lower the pressure, then why not see if it improves the ride a little.

I will report back sometime next week, regarding if I think the ride improves and is worth the future task of letting air out, and then airing up again when I tow. I will lose having Nitrogen in the tires, if I am airing up and down. From what I can tell N is nice, but mixing air in does not seem to have many (if any) negative consequences.

OP
OP
T

terrellw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks. I could not get the link to work, but did find the thread I think you are referring to.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Air is 78% nitrogen.. [emoji111]

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to run 45-50 psi unloaded on my '10, but it had the "Light Load" button which effectively lowered the TPMS threshold for the rear tires.............wonder why they did away with that feature?!

OP
OP
T

terrellw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I took a little air out at a time to see if I "thought" it made a difference. I also was curious to see what psi would set off the sensors. There does not seem to be consensus on the threads about what psi sets off the EVIC. I took the back tires to 70 psi. I only went for a short drive, but I think it was a noticeable difference. Could be in my head . . .

At 80 psi I almost felt like I was driving on solid rubber wheels. 70 psi seems better. I will try it for a couple days, and then drop it some more.

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm running 57 front and 47 rear and I just deal with the light.
Rides great and I'm not wearing the center of my tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk