Campers and Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kev12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me get yalls honest opinion, I had a Tundra before I bought my 2500. We had a trailer that weight a little over 7500lbs loaded, my Tundra payload was right at 1180lbs(lol), I had the limited 4wd TRD blah blah. After a few trips, my brakes started to have a hard time, could tell it was having a difficult time stopping trailer. I did some adjusting to the brake control and felt like it was doing better. On our way home from a trip on top of a mountain in Alabama, my brakes completely locked up and it was a nightmare. Shop told me that my whole brake system went out, booster etc. Never had an issue just day to day with truck. Do yall think the trailer caused this? I know I was over payload after the fact... I ASSUMED I had 1400-1500lb of payload based Google, never took the time to look at the yellow label(Hey Stupid)...

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I have used the Pro Prop. It is the best when you need & can afford the best. Works great when you have one TV & one TT.

Sandy I feel you. But bags & springs are supplemental to proper as proven on a scale weight distribution and a well set up properly sized WDH. You would never resolve the root issue with bags or springs. Any of the companies proper specked half ton with the right hitch and good set up can handle to an 8k TT safely & competently. Problem is poor understanding & bad advice is rampant. Some from "veterans" and advice givers.

Kev don't know enough to guess what caused your brake booster etc to go bad. Just the size of that TT did not do it. Neither did being that lil bit over on "payload". If you would have scaled it only then would you even know if in fact you were slightly over on your GVWR or actual payload for towing purposes.

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RLM that is where I would expect to start. Do you remember the steer drive & TT axle weights? What hitch & bar weight rating? Just curious as it's an interest of mine. Thanks

When I said it's a lot weight that is what I was referencing ie as to making sure it's spread between the axles.

I am using a Fastway e2 WDH. I've been very happy with it. 1000 lb round bars

Truck only
3600 front axle
2980 drive axle

With trailer and WDH connected
3320 front axle
4080 rear axle
7040 trailer

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I am using a Fastway e2 WDH. I've been very happy with it. 1000 lb round bars

Truck only
3600 front axle
2980 drive axle

With trailer and WDH connected
3320 front axle
4080 rear axle
7040 trailer

I would be shifting some load in the trailer forward and then adjusting the hitch angle to get a little more transferred to the front axle. But that's just me being **** about numbers.