Camping trailor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lomey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Outdoorsman
Engine
V6 3.6L
I purchased a 2015 1500 Outdoorsman with a V6 and I believe 3.21 gears. Has factory 20 wheels with new tires and 25k miles. I would like to eventually get a camping trailor and wondering how big I could tow. I really just want a queen size bed, a small refrigerator, sink and possibly ac. I would be towing it in some mountainous terrain on occasion. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should look for?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pop up camper possibly. Should have all those amenities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Lomey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Outdoorsman
Engine
V6 3.6L
I was hoping for something a little more than a pop up, but if that is all I can tow then that's what I have to get.

Am I correct that it has the 3.21 gears? It's a 4x4 if that makes a difference.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You can look up your build sheet to find out axle ratio, Outdoorsman are supposed to 3.92, but that is not always the case and was not an option for the V6 gasser.
This is the SAE towing chart for your truck: 92c3a8b4fc254645531234d63152540d.jpg

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe the Outdoorsman Pentastar's (3.6L) came with 3.55's. To confirm it, go to https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html and in the left hand column click "equipment listing." Plug your VIN in and it'll pull your build sheet which will have the gears listed.

As far as camping trailers go, I have seen one Ram 3.6L tow a small travel trailer (I believe a member here). Besides weight, size is one of the biggest factors as frontal/side area is what will make the truck struggle.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually just looked it up and it appears the example I gave you was posted on another ram forum. Just google ram pentastar travel trailer and it'll be a red single cab hauling a white travel trailer.

OP
OP
L

Lomey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Outdoorsman
Engine
V6 3.6L
I believe the Outdoorsman Pentastar's (3.6L) came with 3.55's. To confirm it, go to https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html and in the left hand column click "equipment listing." Plug your VIN in and it'll pull your build sheet which will have the gears listed.

As far as camping trailers go, I have seen one Ram 3.6L tow a small travel trailer (I believe a member here). Besides weight, size is one of the biggest factors as frontal/side area is what will make the truck struggle.
Thanks for the link. It says 3.55.

OP
OP
L

Lomey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Outdoorsman
Engine
V6 3.6L
Anyone have other suggestions than a pop up camper?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have other suggestions than a pop up camper?

You can check out R-pod travel trailers. They are a hard sided travel trailer and they are small and light. The 17' model we were looking at had a queen bed, a normal toilet (not a toilet shower combo) and all at about 2900 pounds. This will be our next trailer down the road.

OP
OP
L

Lomey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Outdoorsman
Engine
V6 3.6L
You can check out R-pod travel trailers. They are a hard sided travel trailer and they are small and light. The 17' model we were looking at had a queen bed, a normal toilet (not a toilet shower combo) and all at about 2900 pounds. This will be our next trailer down the road.
Took a look at them and that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Look into hybrid trailers

R Pods are really nice, but SMALL on the inside. For the money, I would much prefer a pop up camper. Your other option, like mowin said, is a hybrid camper. Hybrids are a great compromise... relatively small and lightweight box moving down the road, but open up to provide a LOT of space when you get camping.

Either are great options. Popups are generally cheaper, easier to tow, get better fuel mileage and have a ton of space once opened up. Often you can get a full length queen or even king bed (one on each end) and other sleeping options inside the box. Heat and AC are pretty standard now. Its rare to find a popup with a bathroom... although you can add a cassette toilet if you need... You will have less interior room to pack stuff before the trip and will have to crawl inside the camper to pack everything.

Hybrids are a little more expensive and the frontal area is bigger which means fuel mileage drops and you "feel" the truck behind you a lot more. Hybrids will have a bathroom with an actual toilet and shower. You have more interior room to pack stuff for the trip.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
R-Pods are a good choice. There are several look alikes by other brands as well (Winnebago, Jayco). An easy way to narrow down your choices would be to look for single axle travel trailers. There are lots of them with the features you're looking for.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Pick out a travel trailer that fits within your towing capacity. Most of the ones that you can tow with your truck are going to be in the 14 foot - 20 foot range depending on how many slides they have.

Figure out what your truck weighs with you, passengers, gear and a full tank of fuel in it.

Then figure out how much a trailer weighs with your gear packed in it.

With the load in the trailer, estimate the tongue weight. This will be added to your truck's total weight.

Add all the weights together.

Now look at the image pasted above to see if that weight is above or below your gross combined vehicle weight rating.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pulling a small Wolfpup 16FB with a Pentastar/3.55 axle ratio. It's only 3000ish pounds (single 3500 lbs axle) and the weight is not an issue for the drivetrain. The wind drag is certainly noticeable in the gas mileage though.

I also own a Jumping Jack trailer (sort of a pop up but all tent) and that one barely shows up in the rear view mirror. Consequently the truck still gets ~20mpg at 65mph on the Interstate.

Not to derail the thread, but a word of advice regarding the majority of RVs. Forest River and Thor make over 80% of RVs under various brand names, and for the most part quality control is not existent. Flashy looking and cheap is the goal. My Wolfpup is a FR product and I can attest to that. I'm handy and the trailer works well for my purposes just be aware.

Attachments

• IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 39

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might check out rv.net as another source for information. I've looked on there for ideas when I was trying to pick a trailer for my Dakota to tow. Never did it and now I'm planning on getting a Ram so I shouldn't have too much trouble. But I'm not into the big units anyway.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I pulled a Crossroads Z-1 18SS with my 1500 (5.7 though). The trailer is about 3600# dry and rated about 4600# loaded. Has 20 gal fresh water, electric & gas water heater, and roof mounted a/c, and separate toilet & shower. The shower is small, but it gets the job done. If you go for the non slide models you save about 100#. Personally, I liked the slide because it felt roomier with 2 adults & 2 small kids.

Barricade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Without a doubt R Pod ! Love mine and I can tow it easily with my 1500 or 3500 !