Can the bumper really tow 5000lbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I just picked up a 2013 today. I don't tow often but when I do it's a 1500lb trailer with a 3200 lb Jeep on it. My question is can I really just put a ball on the bumper that states 5000 lb limit right on it? It looks to have a hitch mount attached to the bumper not just cheap brackets. I know there is the little receivers that attach to that tube, but I randomly have to tow the Jeep tomorrow. Any help ASAP would be advised. Thanks

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
I have towed my mustang on the bumper with no issues at all. (of course I am limited to 50 mph with a trailer here)

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Bumper towing is a dumb idea unless it is a lawn tractor don't be cheap get the right solution for the job or even bigger jobs later.

OP
OP
PentastarCrew13
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I would never tow from the bumper on a vehicle it was not intended for. Why I am asking is my behind my bumper it looks like a hitch and I see no where to attach an actual receiver like this one: !B,dpegQBmk~$(KGrHqIH-EYEquE3g54eBKrmfjeSy!~~_12.jpg

and Bigboytoys, where did you find a ball with longer than a 2" shank for the bumper?

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your truck didn't come with the receiver hitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Receiver hitch is 100 bucks around here and takes half hour not worth wrecking a nice new bumper IMO.

OP
OP
PentastarCrew13
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
sorry for the newb question. And no apparently it didn't lol. Just grabbed one from U haul like the one pictures above. took not even 10 min. trailer already connected. The thing that threw me was the 2 open holes in the cross member. The receiver came with wire spiraled at the end and you have to fish a carriage bolt through. It was 2 of those and one big bolt through the hole in bumper. It was $119 . I found cheaper online but this was close to my house and in stock. Thanks for help guys. Glad to be part of the Ram community

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
to answer your question, yes you can, what you attach the OEM reciever too and where the ball would go through your bumper are the exact same part, ultimately by adding the OEM reciever your only relocating where you hook up your trailer, i suggest getting the OEM reciever so that you dont damage your bumper and it gives you more towing options, but yes you can tow the 5000lbs on your bumper, and you actually arent towing with the bumper, the ball you will install will go through the steel beam thats under your bumper and thats what takes the load, i did that untill i got my OEM hitch welded on...

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
sorry for the newb question. And no apparently it didn't lol. Just grabbed one from U haul like the one pictures above. took not even 10 min. trailer already connected. The thing that threw me was the 2 open holes in the cross member. The receiver came with wire spiraled at the end and you have to fish a carriage bolt through. It was 2 of those and one big bolt through the hole in bumper. It was $119 . I found cheaper online but this was close to my house and in stock. Thanks for help guys. Glad to be part of the Ram community

lol well that canceled out my last post haha