Confused: 2500 Hemi or Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You do know that their is a significant difference between the 4th gen diesels and your 05? The egt deletes are absolutely necessary on the 3rd gens. A very poor designed emission system that killed mileage, power, and shortened the life of those trucks. I see no reason to do it on my truck, even after the warranty is expired. You buy and live as you choose. I'll stick with my unicorn.. Lol

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Shady, because you claimed his 05 didn't get decent mileage because it was choked by emissions and EGR.

Your mileage claims are out of the ordinary unless you drive much slower than the average Joe.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yes I misstated that. My point was that comparing his mileage to mine is apples oranges. They are different trucks with different emissions systems. My claims are not out of the ordinary either. But that is based on my experience, and that of my friend's. I've been in the online diesel community for 16 years. I've seen many wild claims, and I've seen many legitimate claims shouted down by people who have different driving styles, or had a truck that, for whatever reason, got poorer mileage. Now, I said that I got 22 on the hwy, unloaded. That is a fact. That is not my average mileage however. My average has been closer to 18 with mixed driving. I do drive at a very fuel efficient speed. But I don't want to explain myself to guys that already know what every driver's personal fuel mileage is. Also I believe that this thread has been derailed enough. I'll keep comments about my miracle, unicorn-like mileage to myself in the future.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

GUNNOE20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is a problem we all struggle with, from honest experience running my truck for a year with the 6.4 and 3:73 gears, I will mention that in my opinion the truck does not hold back very well down hill with a load. I'll put it this way. There is a good long 7 percent grade on the interstate on my way home everyday, if I set my cruise to 70 the truck will be in second gear trying to keep from exceeding the speed limit... this is without a trailer ! To sum the truck up.... The engine has good power but you really have to run it to get it... as with all small block gas engines. The coil spring suspension does an excellent job holding the weight. The transmission is not geared to support the power band of the hemi... 40-45 mph in first gear and 75+ in second gear... this means you will NEVER reach your max HP in any gear over second without driving like a wild man. I like my truck but it honestly leaves me feeling like it's not enough... especially down hill... maybe Im just used to my awesome jake brake on my isx cummins in my Kenworth :) I just want you to give it some thought and feel safe towing.... and now the haters can hate lol... honestly just my 2 cents ... not trying to upset anyone.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Hello Guys,

If I was going to get back into the RV scene and pulling a 5 er.

I would buy Diesel 3500 duelly cab chassis truck with no bed.

Duelly for stability of extra set of tires for the weight being pulled,plus extra tires incase of a blow out at speed.

I would build fenders like from semi and small deck out of open grate aluminum and install tool box/storage behind cab.

By not getting a bed you save that weight of the bed

I switched all my vehicles to diesel about 10 years ago to get away from the ethanol in gas now a days.

I you are going to use a 6.4 hemi for hauling it would be best to use Premium gas as recommended by MFg to get max performance from gas motor.

If you do buy premium gas it is as much or more than diesel.

You defiantly get bet mpg with the diesel!

Green diesel engineering makes a tune for Diesels that is not radical coal burning tune but can turn off the def,egr,and delete pdf.

Diesel trucks have the power where you need it at lower rpms for pulling!!

Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2016 2500 6.4 4x4 to pull my 7500 pound fifth wheel. Wife has it loaded with at least 1,000 pounds of stuff.
Tows absolutely fine. The 6.4 is a great motor though a tad fuel thirsty, as expected. It has good pickup from a stop and cruises very well. It gears down going up hills but usually only one gear unless it real steep then it drops two.
Talking to others at campgrounds, there are a lot of folks at or over 10,000 pounds and have no issues.
If I had more weight than that I would go for the Cummings for certain.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Wow!!! Just buy a 3500 6.7, anything over 9k with a 6.4 is too much weight, anything over 13k on a 2500 is too much.