Confused about Tow/Haul and the Gear selector switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know that Tow/Haul changes the shift patterns to higher RPMs. My understanding is that it also disables 5th gear and you can select the highest available gear with the buttons on the shift handle and that gear is displayed on the EVIC.

But my question is why does the EVIC display "5" as the highest gear available if 4 is the highest in Tow/Haul?

Ray

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
you still use all 5 gears and changes the shift pattern for up and downshifting.

OP
OP
Ocelot

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you still use all 5 gears and changes the shift pattern for up and downshifting.

That's what I was thinking, but I couldn't get it to drop into 5th even coasting downhill. Unless overdrive is actually a higher gear than 5th?

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Overdrive is in addition to 5th. When in tow/haul mine runs in 5th. Not sure why yours would not though???

OP
OP
Ocelot

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Overdrive is in addition to 5th. When in tow/haul mine runs in 5th. Not sure why yours would not though???

Oh, well if overdrive is additional to 5th then it makes sense and I'm probably in 5th after all.

I just know that while in tow/hall, the RPMs are higher even at 60MPH and coasting so I figured it was either in 4th or overdrive was a higher gear than 5th.

partsguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
it disables lock up. so you use overdrive just the converter doesnt go into lock up

Red 2012 Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't know about the '11 with the 5 speed but my '12 with the 6 speed won't shift into 6 until about 60 or so. You would use your tow haul anytime you are towing and depending on the speed you want to run, weight of your load, wind speeds, and so on your tranny may be constantly shifting back and forth. Use the gear selecter to set your max gear to the lower gear so you aren't shifting all the time.

OP
OP
Ocelot

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh yeah, I use tow/haul with the camper. I was just confused how it actually worked. It's because I was playing around with it with an empty truck and no trailer. With "5" selected as the highest gear, the RPM's were significantly higher on level ground at 65mph in tow/haul even coasting down a slight hill. I got the feeling that it either wasn't going into 5th gear or overdrive was an additional gear above 5th.

Ray

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I thought tow haul mode also increased the hydraulic line pressure to increase clamping force on the clutches as well. No?

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...