Deck over vs over axle trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never had a deck over, but it is a never-ending issue to get heavy stuff on with forklikfts because the wheels wells always get in the way. I plan to switch to a goosneck on my next truck and have to decide between the two. I fear that the increase drag of a deck over will be too much.

If it was me loading the trailer I think I could take the time to deal with the wheel wells, but I'm always at the mercy of someone else and they just throw stuff on and end up with the balance way too far forward.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the cargo you haul a lot or the most?

If you only haul palletized cargo then just get a deck over, if you haul both vehicles and cargo get a deck over with a beaver tail. but if you haul vehicles that are low to the ground then your kind of stuck with a car trailer. The ramps and the beaver of the deck over hemp but still make it hard to load with some vehicles.

Also what weight are you looking for. We have a 22gn BigTex 25-5 trailer. Its got a 25' flat deck with a 5' beaver tail. capable of hauling 22,000lbs. we picked it up brand new for $7k. Not sure what your pulling it with but its too much trailer for a 1/2 ton but my old 3/4 ton pulled it well.

OP
OP
T

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the cargo you haul a lot or the most?

If you only haul palletized cargo then just get a deck over, if you haul both vehicles and cargo get a deck over with a beaver tail. but if you haul vehicles that are low to the ground then your kind of stuck with a car trailer. The ramps and the beaver of the deck over hemp but still make it hard to load with some vehicles.

Also what weight are you looking for. We have a 22gn BigTex 25-5 trailer. Its got a 25' flat deck with a 5' beaver tail. capable of hauling 22,000lbs. we picked it up brand new for $7k. Not sure what your pulling it with but its too much trailer for a 1/2 ton but my old 3/4 ton pulled it well.

Yea that's too much trailer for a 1500. I'm trying to find a gooseneck in the 10-14k# range and as light as possible. Even the big tex 14GN is too much at 4.8k#, but there's one from pj that's listed at 4.1k#. I'll be going over the GCWR hauling big alfalfa bales every couple months (but not overloading the axle), but I'm in florida where it's flat and straight, but I'm sure as hell not doing that with a bumper pull. But that's why I'm hesitant to do the deck over.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not a fan of bumper pull trailers at all but they are good in some cases.

PJ makes good trailer. If you don't need to haul a vehicle ever just a straight deck 20' would be perfect and there are a few out there in the 10k load range.

Not sure if Featherlite still makes a alum gooseneck or not, but worth looking up in your area. Wiltons are also good too

This may work out well for what your looking for, but not sure of your budget
http://www.alumline.com/products/trailers/heavy-equipment-trailers/flat-deck-gooseneck

Last edited: