Did I get sold the Wrong Tires??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quest15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L 6-cylinder diesel
Ok..... Question for you all??

I bought some **** Cepek back in March from a well known store. (We will leave that part out for now) I have 2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab diesel . I went in there and told them I wanted it level and I want new wheels and tires. They sold me 35 X12.50R20LT Fun Country Tires and Mickey Thompson 20X9 8X6.5 Wheels. the truck looks awesome. I thought nothing of it as I took it too a well know place. Well I saw that I had a screw in the tire the day before Christmas Eve and well I had to find something close. Pulled into another popular tire place to get it fixed. Well after they took it into the bay they came over to me and was asking 20 questions about my tires. I was unsure where they were going with it until they said the screw had not gone into my tire just a tread and for me not to bring my truck back to their place again. I was on the defensive side as I was shocked and of course the salesperson was on the rude side as he was following me out the door. Once outside I walked over to my truck and the tech started to explain that the tires I have on my truck were not rated for my truck and if I would put a load on the truck they could explode. The sales person stopped him after that and told me that I need to take them back to where I got them and get the right tires for the truck. I have already dealt with way I was treated in the last place as I know the GM for that area I was in.

So before I go into where I bought the tires I want to makes sure I have my facts right before I go into this place. What I have found so far it says light duty truck and SUVs for these tires. I would not consider my truck as light duty but it is not a semi either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
What letter ratting are the tires? D? E?
What are the pounds the tire can carry?
All of this is posted on the side wall of the tire.

OP
OP
Q

quest15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L 6-cylinder diesel
The letter is E
3,195 lbs @ 65 psi.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll be fine. He's being very over dramatic. Lots of 2500/3500s running that size (almost all 35x12.50x20s are load range E)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sounds like you went to Discount / America's Tires..

They wouldn't sell my buddy those E rated tires. Even though they are E rated, still too soft.

I think my Toyos are rated for 3700lbs @65

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fine for your truck. I am running 65 psi tires on my f250 as well. I don't tow a super heavy fifth wheel and won't exceed the weight rating. My travel trailer is bumper pull and I do load the bed up.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well .... by the letters of the law it's not legal to use those tires. The sticker in the door probably states something like 126/123R after the size which means the tires are rated for 3,638/3,420 lbs. That makes sense given the GAWR for the rear is 6500 lbs, so the two rear tires together need to exceed that number. In all likelihood running tires with 3,195 lbs rating is not going to cause issues unless the truck is overloaded (and nobody does that - ever ...).

One angle to keep in mind is that if there is a blowout resulting in an insurance claim (accident) it might give the insurance co a reason to deny the claim.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Well .... by the letters of the law it's not legal to use those tires. The sticker in the door probably states something like 126/123R after the size which means the tires are rated for 3,638/3,420 lbs. That makes sense given the GAWR for the rear is 6500 lbs, so the two rear tires together need to exceed that number. In all likelihood running tires with 3,195 lbs rating is not going to cause issues unless the truck is overloaded (and nobody does that - ever ...).

One angle to keep in mind is that if there is a blowout resulting in an insurance claim (accident) it might give the insurance co a reason to deny the claim.

This is good advice. I think the second tire shop is a bit overzealous there. You have a load range E tire on the truck. It's not like you put a P rated tire on it or something like that. I think the second shop thinks they are the "weight police" lol. Imo as long as you are not loaded heavy your probably ok.

I've been an insurance claim rep for the past 12 years and I've never seen a claim denied for the wrong tires/overweight. (1st party physical damage) What you should be concerned about is on the 3rd party side, the plantiff atty would exploit the fact that your tires were underrated for the load. If they realized that anyway. Good luck.

OP
OP
Q

quest15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L 6-cylinder diesel
Thanks for all the replies.

I do pull my bumper pull travel trailer with my truck.

Also, anyone know how I can get the TPMS to not constantly go off? As I run 65 psi in the tires. The factory settings for the truck is 70 for the front and 80psi for the back so of course the alarm and light is always on my dash.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
From what I gather if your truck is a 16 or 17 you cannot alter the tpms alarm settings unfortunately

OP
OP
Q

quest15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L 6-cylinder diesel
My truck is a 2014.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Then you might be able to get the settingsadjusted then

I can adjust the setting for my truck, if I wanted to, using my tuner. Granted, its a 1500, but its a 2014.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I can adjust the setting for my truck, if I wanted to, using my tuner. Granted, its a 1500, but its a 2014.

Nice! Cool you have that option