Difference between "Normal" and "Tow and Haul"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could someone please explain to me what changes on the truck when the "Tow and Haul" mode is turned on. I can feel no difference when towing a trailer and turning "Tow and Haul" option on or off.
Thank you!¨
Miran

OP
OP
M

miran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm .. thanks!
But as mentioned: i've played with that T&H switch while towing more than 2000 kilograms trailer - no change in gears, no change in revs. Nothing. Does it maybe affect traction control or something else? Or should I press that switch before driving off?
Mine is 8 speed gearbox.
Miran

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It locks out your top gear so your rev's stay in a better range for towing a load.

Grown in Tx.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It takes away the o/d and increases rpm like mentioned before. I think it might change some shift points in the trany as well. If you don't notice a change you might have a bad button or something, because you should definitely feel/hear a change.

OP
OP
M

miran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did some "test" today: driving up very, very steep hill and there is really some difference: with T&H disabled - it shifted at 2500 rpm while with T&H enabled it shifted at 3000 rpm (I guess it was from second to third).
Any difference in traction control or similar?
Miran

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
with the 8 speed it really just runs higher rpm, spreads the gears out more and will down shift faster to give more engine braking. it will still use all 8 gears and MDS will still activate if the conditions are right

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
To note on the link provided above...

"Use of ERS (or TOW/HAUL mode) also enables an
additional underdrive gear which is not normally used
during through-gear accelerations. This additional gear
can improve vehicle performance and cooling capability
when towing a trailer on certain grades. In ERS mode,
gears 1 though 3 are underdrive gears, and ERS 4 is direct
drive. ERS 5 and 6 (Overdrive gears) are the same as the
normal fourth and fifth gears. NOTE: TOW/HAUL mode locks out Overdrive."

That said, I typically don't use Tow/Haul mode. Some stretches I can keep 6th just fine with my horse trailer. I will manually shift down to 5th for uphills, but also allow the rig to slow down some to avoid downshifting to 4th if possible. Although, might be a good idea to use Tow/Haul if you are in under-55 mph stop and go traffic, just to keep the rig moving smoothly.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
To note on the link provided above...

"Use of ERS (or TOW/HAUL mode) also enables an
additional underdrive gear which is not normally used
during through-gear accelerations. This additional gear
can improve vehicle performance and cooling capability
when towing a trailer on certain grades. In ERS mode,
gears 1 though 3 are underdrive gears, and ERS 4 is direct
drive. ERS 5 and 6 (Overdrive gears) are the same as the
normal fourth and fifth gears. NOTE: TOW/HAUL mode locks out Overdrive."

That said, I typically don't use Tow/Haul mode. Some stretches I can keep 6th just fine with my horse trailer. I will manually shift down to 5th for uphills, but also allow the rig to slow down some to avoid downshifting to 4th if possible. Although, might be a good idea to use Tow/Haul if you are in under-55 mph stop and go traffic, just to keep the rig moving smoothly.

He doesn't have your transmission. Totally different.

Valhakar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L/Aisin 6 speed
I can tell you from my butt-dyno testing that the Aisin tow/haul is EPIC. Without a load I can accelerate to 50 mph, let off the gas, and it downshift aggressively and uses engine brake. Enough to send you into your belts. Turn T/H off and it just coasts gently down the road.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I LOVE the Tow/Haul mode on my new 6.4 - it shifts exactly where I want it to when towing and doesnt downshift too early either. My older 2009 6.7 sucked with Tow/Haul turned on, the downshifts alone would throw you into the dashboard.

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
I LOVE the Tow/Haul mode on my new 6.4 - it shifts exactly where I want it to when towing and doesnt downshift too early either. My older 2009 6.7 sucked with Tow/Haul turned on, the downshifts alone would throw you into the dashboard.

I have a 2011 4.7. Love the tow mode. The downshifts are spot on and aggressive for engine braking. Since I tow 95% of the time it is great feature. My 3rd generation doesn't do this.