Dings Remembered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We've all missed a key detail while the tow/haul button is pushed in resulting in, well, Unintended Consequences. So gather here all ye of the flying F-bomb and share with us yer tales of slight miscalculation. Here's one from just this afternoon. Tried to keep Gladys' wheels off of the pad and lost track of the h2o hookup. Still surprised they didn't charge me for the repair.
5b8268260ad2c303ad24330c9999f98c.jpg

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not a trailer related story but....

After returning from being stationed overseas, I had to borrow my parent's new car while waiting for my POV to be shipped back to the states. Well, there was a roof bike rack. I had my bike securely mounted to said rack after finishing a ride. Then I headed home, proceeded to drive into the garage. Blew out the rear glass and crushed in the roof. I was not a proud new owner of a new crushed in Toyota....

OP
OP
PippinAin'tEasy

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Technically you were hauling and **** got broke. Completely germane to the conversation I'd say.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I jack knifed my trailer last year and put a dent in my rock guard and cracked a tail light.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Last year I tried to cut sharp while backing up my trailer and lost track of where the tree was at our site. The sickening *thud* reminded me followed by a cursing streak that would put a sailor to shame. Since I am all for "Go big or go home" I then proceeded to back into the same ****** tree with my truck the next night and put a nice big dent in my rear bumper which had just been replaced.

So as of now, that site at Rainbow has forever been crossed of our list as cursed.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Not a trailer related story but....

After returning from being stationed overseas, I had to borrow my parent's new car while waiting for my POV to be shipped back to the states. Well, there was a roof bike rack. I had my bike securely mounted to said rack after finishing a ride. Then I headed home, proceeded to drive into the garage. Blew out the rear glass and crushed in the roof. I was not a proud new owner of a new crushed in Toyota....

that very same thing happened to my nephew. He was showing off his brand new Mercedes, which came with a free bike roof rack. Just as we were driving into the garage, it became apparent we both had forgotten about his daughter's bike still on the roof. There was pretty minimal damage done, considering, because he hit the brakes very quickly, but it could have been real ugly, real quick.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Took out a power post at a state park, dented the tailgate backing in to the pin box, and kissed the fiver cap with the truck cab maneuvering into a camp site. SOB, $1,800 in damage from that kiss. I did all this last year, it was my first year with the fiver so I thought I paid my dues.

2015-08-26%2010.37.26_zpsxewtugco.jpg

This year started out with a bang as in the cab and cap kiss crap. Coming back from a camping trip I cut it too sharp backing into my driveway. Good thing is the wife noticed the kiss and just a little, barely noticeable dent was in the cab. So I said F that and ordered a Pull Right Superglide auto-sliding hitch. The dam hitch was cheaper than the first repair job, cross my fingers but I think my dues are paid in full now. Life is good.

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was in the courthouse parking lot...with my 6x12 enclosed. ..took a turn to tight and ripped off a bumper on a trailblazer with my trailers fender....police were there fast....need to find a picture

OP
OP
PippinAin'tEasy

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Moved sites in Shipshewana, IN last year. Empty park. Never assume it's ok to move with yer awning down. Like, ever. Found the chain link fence and efficiently removed the front awning arm. Pics of the scars mañana.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
as I read these horror stories I have to turn up this Miller Lite and think... " Oh **** I'm leaving next week for my 2 week trip and hope I don't **** up somehow"..... all i have to offer so far is I kissed the cap of a fifth wheel a few years ago. I was stupid enough to think that since I didn't " feel it " hit there was no way I could've hit it. I looked at the cap and saw a mark that lined up with a scuff on the corner of mine I went back and apologized to the people. they didn't want anything but to tell me I had hit them.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've been avoiding this thread to keep from testing fate.... I've been RVing for about 15 years and have been VERY lucky. Anyone who tries to pass of the lack of damage as skill is either superhuman or a BS artist. Here are some close calls with only minor damage that could have been a LOT worse:

Backed my old TT into my gutter - I saw it and hit the brakes right at the point of impact and put a gutter spike sized hole in the fiberglass trailer shell. Filled the hole and moved on.

Backed over a sawhorse while backing my TT and stopped just before hitting the fence and gate. If not for hearing the cracking of the sawhorse I may have kept moving into the fence.

Bringing home a new 5th wheel in a rain storm and in the dark I hadn't completely figured out the swing on the 5th with respect to my tailgate. I took a chunk out of the plastic cap on my gate and damaged the gate slightly. The handle and camera now is pushed out 1/4" or so. I fixed the plastic cap of the gate and am just living with the gap around the handle.

Again, I've been VERY lucky and by all right should have done something expensive by now. I'm extremely hopeful of being able to report the same track record this fall :) Happy Camping everyone!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam