Do tow mirrors have turnsignals?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
I tow a big enclosed trailer. Cars beside me often don't notice my turn signals. Do the tow mirrors have turn signal lights built into them like the Laramie and above mirrors do?

Are the turn signals visible to cars somewhat behind you? So if I'm pulling a trailer and the car in the next lane is back next to the trailer, would the car be able to see the mirror's turn signal during the day?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The factory towing mirrors do......if that is what you are asking about.

OP
OP
RangerGress

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
If a car is in the next lane back by your trailer, is the location of the mirror mounted turnsignals such that the car can see them during the day? Or do the turnsignals just face forward, and are therefore not much use?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are not like GM, and would be hard to see in the situation you describe

I tow a big camper as well, and if they can't see the trucks turn signal and the campers, then they just aren't looking.

You could mount an LED marker on the fender under the mirrors, like some of the small cars have and tie it into the blinker.

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The turn signals are mounted on the front corner. So as others have said, no someone next to your trailer won't see them any better, your normal rear signals should be visible.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If you're stock mirrors don't come with the turn signals, you will have to take the truck to the dealership with the aftermarket mirrors to have your truck made capable to use the blinker feature. Also, do you not have lights on your trailer? That's a ticket waiting to happen if not. I agree as mentioned above. If they are driving along side of the trailer, they should be able to see your truck's blinkers on the rear. Also, you should be able to see their car and not force them off the road :) haha.

OP
OP
RangerGress

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
If you're stock mirrors don't come with the turn signals, you will have to take the truck to the dealership with the aftermarket mirrors to have your truck made capable to use the blinker feature. Also, do you not have lights on your trailer? That's a ticket waiting to happen if not. I agree as mentioned above. If they are driving along side of the trailer, they should be able to see your truck's blinkers on the rear. Also, you should be able to see their car and not force them off the road :) haha.
Thanks guys. There's enough info here that I get the picture.

Background.
For 7yrs now, once/month I tow a race car in a 24 enclosed trailer to distant events. There's something about big cities that turn people into ****heads. As I approach and go thru whatever big city is en route to the event, people start getting iffy about giving me some room when I need to change lanes. The usual habit is to speed up so I can't get over into their lane. I'd like to think that maybe the reason is they might not be able to see my blinkers from all angles. If they're beside the enclosed trailer then they can't see the trailer's blinkers. Maybe there's some angle where they also can't see the truck's blinkers. Maybe they're just assholes.

So I figured that what I ought to do is put blinkers on the truck's mirrors so there'd be no doubt about me having a turn signal on. Some people are more apt to be ****heads when there's plausible deniability. But if the blinking turnsignal is staring them right in the face, maybe their immediate reaction would be "ok, I see your turnsignal."

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks guys. There's enough info here that I get the picture.

Background.
For 7yrs now, once/month I tow a race car in a 24 enclosed trailer to distant events. There's something about big cities that turn people into ****heads. As I approach and go thru whatever big city is en route to the event, people start getting iffy about giving me some room when I need to change lanes. The usual habit is to speed up so I can't get over into their lane. I'd like to think that maybe the reason is they might not be able to see my blinkers from all angles. If they're beside the enclosed trailer then they can't see the trailer's blinkers. Maybe there's some angle where they also can't see the truck's blinkers. Maybe they're just assholes.

So I figured that what I ought to do is put blinkers on the truck's mirrors so there'd be no doubt about me having a turn signal on. Some people are more apt to be ****heads when there's plausible deniability. But if the blinking turnsignal is staring them right in the face, maybe their immediate reaction would be "ok, I see your turnsignal."

They know you want to change lanes. Just being jerks and dont want to be caught behind a trailer.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Honestly when I tow a big trailer most people know I own the road. I'll put my turn signal on and let everyone know my intentions. If they want to play stupid I can play too. That being said I will never do anything reckless. I am very passive and it takes a lot to **** me off. If I miss the exit oh well.

In my quest to make sure there is no question as to what I intend to do I put light everywhere...that are functional.

I have the BIGRIG recon turn signal/running lights on the side of my truck.

I also am running Plasmaglow LED tailgate bar and LED mud flap bars.

Here is a video of my 1500 from a while back... I run this same setup today on my 2500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlLbf7CbwPc

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Many years ago I did the same thing, towed a car to the track once a month, and had the same issue with trying to get over, back in the old days "horseless carriage" mirrors didn't have turn signals. I decided to put a turn signal socket in the front amber running lamps in the trailer, and wired it up to the trailer turn signals. Don't know if it was legal or not, but it worked.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Many years ago I did the same thing, towed a car to the track once a month, and had the same issue with trying to get over, back in the old days "horseless carriage" mirrors didn't have turn signals. I decided to put a turn signal socket in the front amber running lamps in the trailer, and wired it up to the trailer turn signals. Don't know if it was legal or not, but it worked.

Something like that is what I was getting at...adding more/extra, not using what is there for something different.

If you add a light that is only a turn signal, it should be fine legally, but if you use a marker light as a turn signal, it may not be.