DOT officer harassing me about my boat trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I fish 5 to 6 days a week and am ALWAYS pulling my boat around this time of year. The other day I got flagged for having to hit the scale while traveling through Nebraska in between Lincoln and Omaha - which has NEVER happen to me hauling this boat.

Anyways, I wasn't overloaded but I got a ticket for "Improperly securing of load" The DOT officer said that the straps on the back of my trailer (the two straps that come off the transom to the back of the trailer) should be crossed instead of just strapped straight down. I told him I haven't ever heard of this on a boat trailer and that trailers don't come with crossing straps. He didn't offer me any real world advice...just cited DOT laws regarding proper ways to secure a load on a trailer.

I have hauled several car trailers and have crossed tie downs on that. Even when I haul my SxS and four wheeler on a trailer, I cross the straps. I'm just kind of blown away that the officer said that the transom straps should be cross strapped too. I haven't seen anyone cross their straps on a boat. Even when you buy a new boat and it's delivered the straps aren't crossed.

Any boat owners have an opinion on this???

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
This is what pissed me off about nebraska state patrol..... Everyone of them follows different rules. I've never been fined for not crossing straps and chains. I hardly ever do it unless I'm concerned with side to side sliding...., and I've never seen a boat with straps crossed.... If the ticket cost money I would fight it.

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah, I plan on fighting it. I agree. It's stupid. I cross straps on heavy loads like vehicles and tractors but I have never even heard of crossing straps on a boat. I tried it when I got home and it's not even possible because my outboard mount is in the way. Completely stupid.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
This is the first, keep us posted when you go to fight it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've read numerous posts on RV boards with people asking why cross the drag chains on the trailer. Many people say they do it but no one has any reason why. The straps on a boat? I never would have even thought about it. Sounds like total BS to me. Especially to actually get a ticket. It seems like one of those warning things where the guy tells you they should be crossed and you both move on with life.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Look at the hull boards on the trailer...they slant inwards, right?

Why the hell would you need to cross strap a boat with that sort of configuration when the hull boards apply inward pressure on the hull, effectively pushing it in and down?

That SP officer was being an ass.

Or were you speeding??? ;)

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Revenue generation, plain and simple.

I haul my bass boat all over the country. Never heard of crossing the transom straps. I use boat buckles and they wouldn't reach across anyways.

sposer17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
Nebraska SP? Shoulda told him to go sit on a corncob.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'll bet money there's no law about crossing your straps, just some ******* DOT opinion

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've read numerous posts on RV boards with people asking why cross the drag chains on the trailer. Many people say they do it but no one has any reason why. The straps on a boat? I never would have even thought about it. Sounds like total BS to me. Especially to actually get a ticket. It seems like one of those warning things where the guy tells you they should be crossed and you both move on with life.

You cross the safety chains so IF the trailer comes off the ball, the crossed chains form a cradle to catch it....if they weren't crossed, it just fall and hit the ground. Not sure what a drag chain is.

And on the crossed tie-downs....that officer is crazy.
1) you can't cross them, the motor is in the way
2) crossing them only helps if the trailer is flat, and would let the load slide side to side. A boat trailer it made to cradle the boat, so it can't slide side to side, hence there is no need or requirement to cross them
3) fight it, he is trying to use load requirements that do not apply
4) I have never seen any tie-downs crossed, and I'd bet I have seen well over 10,000 boats in my life sitting on the trailer

Last edited:

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'm just a simple civilian here but if it were me, I'd probably look at the laws and see if DOT has any authority if you are not towing commercial. Without the DOT numbers you should be private. Just thinkin' out loud.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Sounds like the officers was "fishing" when he pulled you over and had to make up some probable cause for the stop.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm just a simple civilian here but if it were me, I'd probably look at the laws and see if DOT has any authority if you are not towing commercial. Without the DOT numbers you should be private. Just thinkin' out loud.
Is your boat a commercial venture? If it is a private boat and private truck, I don't think DOT applies to you.

However, if it is either a commercial truck or boat, then DOT may apply. Then you would need to research the violation for which you were charged and determine if it applies to your situation and if it was correctly charged.

Good luck, let us know how it shakes out.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I fish 5 to 6 days a week and am ALWAYS pulling my boat around this time of year. The other day I got flagged for having to hit the scale while traveling through Nebraska in between Lincoln and Omaha - which has NEVER happen to me hauling this boat.

Anyways, I wasn't overloaded but I got a ticket for "Improperly securing of load" The DOT officer said that the straps on the back of my trailer (the two straps that come off the transom to the back of the trailer) should be crossed instead of just strapped straight down. I told him I haven't ever heard of this on a boat trailer and that trailers don't come with crossing straps. He didn't offer me any real world advice...just cited DOT laws regarding proper ways to secure a load on a trailer.

I have hauled several car trailers and have crossed tie downs on that. Even when I haul my SxS and four wheeler on a trailer, I cross the straps. I'm just kind of blown away that the officer said that the transom straps should be cross strapped too. I haven't seen anyone cross their straps on a boat. Even when you buy a new boat and it's delivered the straps aren't crossed.

mak'n sh@t up as they go along

THRASHER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8

I can tell you this, that guy is wrong and if he works for the Nebraska DOT, then he needs to go back to training. First of all DOT regulations are for "Commercial Motor Vehicles" only. Which by the definition of a CMV you don't meet at all! So you don't have to stop at any kind of DOT check point or Weigh Station or Port of Entry and the FMCSA regulations do not pertain to you at all.. The only way that they could do is enforce a state law. I'm not sure about Nebraska, but in New Mexico there is no laws that's tell you how you have to secure your personal, non commercial property little alone a boat! If they gave you a citation I would fight it and get it dismissed. If you want some more information then just PM, I work for the New Mexico State Police, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement(DOT) as an Inspector.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I fail to see what logic, let alone laws dictate you cross the transom straps. It seems to me to be a silly, capricious interpretation of securing your load.

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I do have commercial plates on my truck but the boat is for private use. So I'm guessing the laws would apply to me? I am going to be calling tomorrow to see if I can get it dropped. There is no way they can be strapped since the motor is in the way. I figured it's complete BS I just wanted to get everyone else's opinions.

I talked to my parent's neighbor tonight who hauls professionally and knows the laws inside and out and he is calling BS too.

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

To add to TRCM's post. (a picture is worth a thousand words; I guess in this case it's a video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsw0-q4oo_4

Back to the original post. That's just ludicrous. I've never seen anyone cross the straps at the transom. I think buddy was looking for a reason, any reason.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To add to TRCM's post. (a picture is worth a thousand words; I guess in this case it's a video)

Back to the original post. That's just ludicrous. I've never seen anyone cross the straps at the transom. I think buddy was looking for a reason, any reason.

That video has the idea, but the chains on that trailer are too long.

If you have to pull the trailer back to get the cradle to catch it like he did, they are too long.

Should just drop it straight down like the first time and the cradle should catch it. If the chains aren't too long, it will hold it up off the ground.