DOT officer harassing me about my boat trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I do have commercial plates on my truck but the boat is for private use. So I'm guessing the laws would apply to me?
Commercial truck means DOT applies to you. You lose part 1 of your battle.

Part 2 of your battle is if that law is valid with your conditions. I don't know all the boat jargon, so I have no idea what they are saying about a transom, outboard, inboard, overboard, cross strap, cross dressing, etc.

My best suggestion for you is to call the DOT officers supervisor and request clarification. Don't file a complaint at this time, don't get them defensive... just ask the supervisor for clarification on the law for which you were cited. Best case scenario, the supervisor says that his officer made a mistake and the citation can be administratively voided.

Good luck!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Should have given him a $20 for the stand up comedy routine.
Never heard of this, ever, in none of my 53 years; Know lots of Nerd Braskan Fisherman. Iowegian here.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Should have given him a $20 for the stand up comedy routine.
Never heard of this, ever, in none of my 53 years; Know lots of Nerd Braskan Fisherman. Iowegian here.

Stay in your own state you damn Iowegians!!! :p

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Definitely fight that, it makes no sense at all!

twodips

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You cross the safety chains so IF the trailer comes off the ball, the crossed chains form a cradle to catch it....if they weren't crossed, it just fall and hit the ground. Not sure what a drag chain is.

And on the crossed tie-downs....that officer is crazy.
1) you can't cross them, the motor is in the way
2) crossing them only helps if the trailer is flat, and would let the load slide side to side. A boat trailer it made to cradle the boat, so it can't slide side to side, hence there is no need or requirement to cross them
3) fight it, he is trying to use load requirements that do not apply
4) I have never seen any tie-downs crossed, and I'd bet I have seen well over 10,000 boats in my life sitting on the trailer

Well Said!:happy107:

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Finally heard back from DOT yesterday. Everything got dropped as "there was a huge misunderstanding" at the scales. I do have commercial plates but hauling the boat was not for commercial or "for hire" purposes. Basically, everything was dropped. I was calling/emailing the DOT officer's supervisor. The conversation ended with a lengthy email saying that he suggests having my transom straps crossed to help with the load stability (That was Friday morning). I asked him how he expects me to do that and emailed him a picture of my trying to cross my straps to prove to him that a boat's outboard or lower is in the way. He of course didn't respond to me yet and I don't expect him to.

I haul a lot for my mowing/landscaping business and make sure that I am always legal while hauling. I haven't ever heard of crossing straps on a boat - I thought this whole thing was silly.

Just thought I would let you guys know the outcome.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Glad to hear the outcome cross straps on a boat is silly sense the trailer cradles the boat... But that's nothing hounding know.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I asked him how he expects me to do that and emailed him a picture of my trying to cross my straps to prove to him that a boat's outboard or lower is in the way.

Ignoring everything else and all the context here. "not being able to" is not a valid defense.

twodips

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Finally heard back from DOT yesterday. Everything got dropped as "there was a huge misunderstanding" at the scales. I do have commercial plates but hauling the boat was not for commercial or "for hire" purposes. Basically, everything was dropped. I was calling/emailing the DOT officer's supervisor. The conversation ended with a lengthy email saying that he suggests having my transom straps crossed to help with the load stability (That was Friday morning). I asked him how he expects me to do that and emailed him a picture of my trying to cross my straps to prove to him that a boat's outboard or lower is in the way. He of course didn't respond to me yet and I don't expect him to.

I haul a lot for my mowing/landscaping business and make sure that I am always legal while hauling. I haven't ever heard of crossing straps on a boat - I thought this whole thing was silly.

Just thought I would let you guys know the outcome.
I had almost the same thing happen to me when towing my 9000 lb concession trailer. In AZ you declare a weight you'll be towing when you buy your commercial plate for the trailer and the lowest was like 15000 lbs. He tried to nail me for avoiding the scales, no log book etc even though I was FAR below the weight required to go through the scales. Of COURSE he never looked at the manufacturer tag on the trailer, he just said "the license plate says 15k".

I had to fill out a form online disputing the charge(s) and they were dropped as they certainly didn't apply.
Commercial cop was just way too gung ho and thought he got a live one. What a fool.

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read numerous posts on RV boards with people asking why cross the drag chains on the trailer. Many people say they do it but no one has any reason why. The straps on a boat? I never would have even thought about it. Sounds like total BS to me. Especially to actually get a ticket. It seems like one of those warning things where the guy tells you they should be crossed and you both move on with life.

You cross the chains when towing a trailer so it creates a "basket" that will catch the tongue if it comes off the ball. I don't know about the boat straps tho

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Finally heard back from DOT yesterday. Everything got dropped as "there was a huge misunderstanding" at the scales. I do have commercial plates but hauling the boat was not for commercial or "for hire" purposes. Basically, everything was dropped.
Good resolution, glad it worked out for you. Do you have this in an official document, just so nothing comes back and bites you about it? Also, I would contact the clerk of the court that has jurisdiction and make sure that they have documentation that the citation was voided.

You don't want this to slip through the cracks and somehow suspend your license or registration at a later date!

twodips

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Good resolution, glad it worked out for you. Do you have this in an official document, just so nothing comes back and bites you about it? Also, I would contact the clerk of the court that has jurisdiction and make sure that they have documentation that the citation was voided.

You don't want this to slip through the cracks and somehow suspend your license or registration at a later date!

Yeah, I tried that when mine happened and didn't get any docs. If I remember right it was just an email telling me it was dropped.

Mbarclay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad it was dropped. Sounded like complete bs

Not sure what yours looks like but on mine there is no way to cross them.

9DA5816F-9F86-494F-B1C4-FEEFD6E4D721_zpsp9fdgneg.png

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couple things
The officer is suggesting ( key word suggesting) that you change the design of the securing mechanism for the trailer. Pretty sure he's not an engineer.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/cargo-securement-rules

only fun points of interest are regarding securing for lateral acceleration under performance criteria. Assuming your straps are actually rated transom tie down straps and not unmarked ratchet straps you'll be fine. As somebody before noted; the bunks provide the lateral resistance due to their camber, that is provided the straps pull the transom down towards the angled boards.

Remaining paragraphs make no mention of boats nor can i find anything pertaining to crossing of straps being mandatory.

I also own a boat and trailer it a bit. Crossing straps is BS.

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Glad it was dropped. Sounded like complete bs

Not sure what yours looks like but on mine there is no way to cross them.

9DA5816F-9F86-494F-B1C4-FEEFD6E4D721_zpsp9fdgneg.png

Yeah, that's what mine looks like, there is absolutely NO WAY that they can be crossed. It was quite funny that the officer told me that haha.

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Oh yeah, I was sure to request documentation that the citation was tossed. I requested it emailed and mailed to me. I was nervous because I never got an email but a few days ago I did get the paper document in the mail. Tomorrow I'm going fishing to the same lake and will be taking the same route. I actually kind of hope that I get flagged to weigh in again and the same officer is there so I can laugh at him and show him the citation reversal document.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Tomorrow I'm going fishing to the same lake and will be taking the same route. I actually kind of hope that I get flagged to weigh in again and the same officer is there so I can laugh at him and show him the citation reversal document.

Old Chinese proverb; The one who seeks vengeance shall dig two graves.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I fish 5 to 6 days a week and am ALWAYS pulling my boat around this time of year. The other day I got flagged for having to hit the scale while traveling through Nebraska in between Lincoln and Omaha - which has NEVER happen to me hauling this boat.

Anyways, I wasn't overloaded but I got a ticket for "Improperly securing of load" The DOT officer said that the straps on the back of my trailer (the two straps that come off the transom to the back of the trailer) should be crossed instead of just strapped straight down. I told him I haven't ever heard of this on a boat trailer and that trailers don't come with crossing straps. He didn't offer me any real world advice...just cited DOT laws regarding proper ways to secure a load on a trailer.

I have hauled several car trailers and have crossed tie downs on that. Even when I haul my SxS and four wheeler on a trailer, I cross the straps. I'm just kind of blown away that the officer said that the transom straps should be cross strapped too. I haven't seen anyone cross their straps on a boat. Even when you buy a new boat and it's delivered the straps aren't crossed.

Any boat owners have an opinion on this???

The citation should have a statute number that you violated on it. Look up that state statute and read it to verify it reads that cross straps are required. The officer cannot make up his own rules. :word: