Drop hitch??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What size drop hitch are you guys using? Iv got a 2013 cc 4x4 with 2" lift in rear with 35s and a 2" drop ain't cutting it.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will depend on the trailer hitch height and the height of your truck. Not all are the same. My little ATV trailer 6" isn't enough behind my 2500.

Level your trailer and measure to the hitch. Measure from the ground to the bottom of your hitch. Subtract the first from the second to get ballpark. If it's heavy, you'll want a couple inches less drop to account for sag.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's really the only way to do it. I have two trailers, one for work and one for camping. The work trailer needs a 12" drop from my truck, but the camp trailer only needs about 4". Both trailers are dual 3500# axles, so that's not indicative either. I have an adjustable drop so I only need one hitch.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Adjustable unit here from etrailer:

DSC_0013_zpssuxbkzzf.jpg

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i use about 4 different ones depending what i'm pulling. adjustable is also an option but most i've seen are only rated for 5000 or 6000lbs. there's some bigger ones but they usually also come with a nice price tag

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The head that comes with my Reese dual cam setup allows for a replaceable shank, so I only had to buy a longer shank to level my trailer while pulling.

OP
OP
fordtech90

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone for the input.
MADDOG I think I'm gone look into one like yours.
6k is prolly my max to tow, normal towing just consist of 16ft trailer with sxs.
I have a 88 GMC toy I tow around a few times a year.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, correction: mine is a 10" drop. This one: WeighSafe 10" Drop 2.5" Shaft Trailer Hitch w Intergrated Tongue Weight Scale https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00REP0O9Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_fTmGwb7RBW1R4

Maybe a bit pricey for a hitch, but the integrated scale and utility is really nice if you use it a lot and constantly change the load on your trailers...

i've had my eye on that one for like a year now. really wish i had bought it before the Canadian dollar went to ****, now it'd cost me something like $400 + shipping which is probably somewhere close to $100 then duty another $60 or so

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had it for about a year now. It's THE best hitch I've ever owned, and I've owned like four or five of them that actually had use. Half a dozen more sat in the garage as they were too heavy or too hard to adjust.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had it for about a year now. It's THE best hitch I've ever owned, and I've owned like four or five of them that actually had use. Half a dozen more sat in the garage as they were too heavy or too hard to adjust.

the one i use most is like 30lbs and solid steel. it's rated for something like 15k tho. 10k would fit most of my needs and that adjustable one would pretty much eliminate 4 of the 6 i carry around so would save a lot of space

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
the one i use most is like 30lbs and solid steel. it's rated for something like 15k tho. 10k would fit most of my needs and that adjustable one would pretty much eliminate 4 of the 6 i carry around so would save a lot of space

I think it's rated for 12k pull and 2k on the hitch itself. It weights around 10lbs maybe, and I carry the 2" ball with me making it the only thing I need. I had one the you flipped upside down to switch balls... The only thing is, when using it on its lowest setting, I scraped that sucker all the time, especially when backing trailers into my driveway. Haven't scraped this weighsafe one yet.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i've had my eye on that one for like a year now. really wish i had bought it before the Canadian dollar went to ****, now it'd cost me something like $400 + shipping which is probably somewhere close to $100 then duty another $60 or so

Is it possible that it would be less expensive if I ordered it and had it sent to you? I'm an Amazon Prime member so I get free two day shipping, but I have no clue what that would mean shipping to Canada...

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible that it would be less expensive if I ordered it and had it sent to you? I'm an Amazon Prime member so I get free two day shipping, but I have no clue what that would mean shipping to Canada...

yes and no. shipping would be cheaper and there's a better chance to avoid getting nailed on duty but the currency conversion alone is still something like $115 extra

there's a few places along the border where you can get things shipped then pick it up in person which is actually the best way for me to do it. doing it that way i'd be able to get free shipping from etrailer and i'm about a 2 hour round trip from Port Huron so i'd cost me maybe $30 in gas for the trip. also much less likely to get stuck paying duty if you're bringing something across in person. if i wanted to do it a little less legal i could just not claim it at the border but that can really bite you in the ass