Duratracs for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Has anybody run the E rated duratracs for pulling a decent sized TT? Everyone I talk to raves about them, and I am hard pressed to find any negative feedback online. To me they feel very loose in steering. Like a water balloon. Pressures are good. I am thinking that feeling will transfer to the trailer in a negative way.

Anybody have some real world input?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I have no experience with this tire at all, I cannot imagine how they conclude that a mud terrain is good for towing. By it's very nature it worst attribute should be on the road.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's classified as an A/T, and given that my BFGs were awesome for towing I gave them a shot. Might be an expensive mistake.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think our rims are rated for the pressure an 'E' rated tires needs.
I'm looking at some Cooper/General tires which each 119XL load rated. Not quite 'E', but should be much better.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't think our rims are rated for the pressure an 'E' rated tires needs.
I'm looking at some Cooper/General tires which each 119XL load rated. Not quite 'E', but should be much better.

Nope. They aren't. I use the E rates for the stiffer construction and never inflate to max. I inflate to a little over what the P rated would need for the load using the inflation charts for the E rates. I give up some wear, but its worked good in the past. I'll check some out like you mention. These may "bake" a bit yet and improve, but we'll see.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It should take off, if you stick around and post. Nice dually btw. Need to see more pics of that!!

What size? They put load range e tires on outdoorsmans so in theory the 17" rims should be able to take the pressure. I know you guys are probably referring to 20" rims though.

outlaw52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have duratracs on my truck for about 7000 miles they are a a/t tire. I towed 2 dressers and a softail about 1200 miles in a large trailer. the tires didn't miss a beat no issues at all. everyone has there own opinions on tires some good some bad. I would recommend these tires without hesitation.honestly so far I cant say one negative thing about them.snow,rain,heat,ice,towing they have performed flawlessly in every test so far.after 7000 miles they are wearing perfectly.i did a rotation at 5000 and rebalanced at that time as well.and they are nasty looking tires as well imo.good luck hope this helps.:)

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I drove my buddies dmax with his cherokee on a bumper pull trailer behind it
He had 265/75/16 duratracs and the trailer was about 7k lbs and I had no complaints

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I guess we'll give them a run and see how it goes. Its a long winter until towing time, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

Side note- I spoke to another tire shop and one of the techs at Dodge who said the factory 20's can handle up to 65- 70 no problem, but once you pass 80 PSI depending on the tire it may cause issues long term, or could possibly trash your wheel. That being said- I run 50 day to day and air the rears to about 60 or 65 towing. I don't like bumping maximums unless I have to. Right now I'm actually at about 45.