Enclosed Car Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Enclosed Car Trailer Thread

Greeting gents/ladies,

I've seen on other truck forums that they have dedicated trailer thread showcasing different things that people have done to their trailer to improve functionally or aesthetics. Can we get one started here?

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Greeting gents/ladies,

Quick question for those who tow enclosed car trailers. Are there any secrets to stabilize the trailer more when it's empty? When the car is loaded and WDH, no sway. When the trailer empty, with or without WDH it wiggles every time I get passed by a semi or when the wind pick up.

more info
24' x 8.5'
4,130 empty
7,700 loaded

Also, I've seen on other truck forums that they have dedicated trailer thread showcasing different things that people have done to their trailer to improve functionally or aesthetics. Can we get one started here?
I have a 28'x 8.5' all aluminum enclosed Haulmark which is just under 4k empty. It is very stable when empty or loaded. The only time Ive had a stability issue is when I loaded my '67 K10 shortbed in backwards. Totally my fault and I knew better, but the front track is wider than the back and it would not fit between the wheel wells.

Mine has the "extended tongue" which they say helps with towing stability and control for backing up. Other than a camper, Ive not had an enclosed trailer, so I don't have anything to similar compare it to.

If its that bad, you could always install a hitch stabilizer as they do on travel trailers.

Great idea on the dedicated trailer thread. Im always interested in making mods and am planning to make mine into a dual purpose camper/carhauler as many have done.

It has factory installed aluminum front cabinets, drawers, and bench, roof A/C, rubber coin floor, 3' carpeted walls with recessed lighting on walls, coves, ceiling and above ramp. Also very bright LED "race lights" on the trailer-right side. It also has the generator compartment and in-floor spare tire storage.

So far I have only installed "x-track" from Northern Tools on the floor from front to back and on fwd left wall. I have been happy with it and plan on installing more on the walls. I also plan on upgrading the electrical system with a good clean inverter and adding a battery or two more.

I currently use a superwinch portable "toolbox type" winch with synthetic rope to reel vehicles in. It works well but I am still searching for a more permanent and possibly more "trick" setup. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the trailer sitting level when empty? Perhaps try nose down a bit, or some sand bags in the front.

What kind/brand/model WDH do you have? i.e. Did you swap out the heavy bars to lighter bars corresponding to the lighter tongue weight (or are they otherwise adjustable).

Is there sway control built into your WDH?

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 24' x 8.5' cargo express that weighs in at 4300#s empty, never any sway, loaded or unloaded, I do loosen my WDH chains when empty

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've towed my buddies car hauler(8x22) several in high cross winds or an oncoming semis, no issues.

I wonder if there is an issue with the axles(alignment) or wheel bearing?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sway usually comes from too little weight on the tongue so start by adjusting or removing your bars while empty. I've towed empty auto haulers some pretty long distances and had no issues at all but am running a 2500. All you can really do is get more weight on the tongue.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Is the trailer sitting level when empty? Perhaps try nose down a bit, or some sand bags in the front.

What kind/brand/model WDH do you have? i.e. Did you swap out the heavy bars to lighter bars corresponding to the lighter tongue weight (or are they otherwise adjustable).

I don't think he has a weight distributing hitch on his trailer. I don't have one on mine and it don't need it. You can control your tongue weight on an auto hauler much moreso than on a travel trailer.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What Vehicle are you towing with?

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think he has a weight distributing hitch on his trailer. I don't have one on mine and it don't need it. You can control your tongue weight on an auto hauler much moreso than on a travel trailer.

The OP said he was having a sway problem towing empty, no issue when loaded and using his WDH.

Sounds like he either needs more weight on the tongue or loosen up the WDH, barring a mechanical problem... as others have mentioned..

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The OP said he was having a sway problem towing empty, no issue when loaded and using his WDH.

Sounds like he either needs more weight on the tongue or loosen up the WDH, barring a mechanical problem... as others have mentioned..
Oh sht, you're right! My bad. Im an idiot.

OP
OP
EJR_3

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Ride level when empty. I have the Husky Centerline TS #32218. I don't have lighter bars, but tried with and without the bars.

I've towed my buddies car hauler(8x22) several in high cross winds or an oncoming semis, no issues.

I wonder if there is an issue with the axles(alignment) or wheel bearing?
The trailer is brand spanking new.

What Vehicle are you towing with?
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab with 8sp, 3.92 gears, and TLC airbags.

OP
OP
EJR_3

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Great idea on the dedicated trailer thread. Im always interested in making mods and am planning to make mine into a dual purpose camper/carhauler as many have done.

It has factory installed aluminum front cabinets, drawers, and bench, roof A/C, rubber coin floor, 3' carpeted walls with recessed lighting on walls, coves, ceiling and above ramp. Also very bright LED "race lights" on the trailer-right side. It also has the generator compartment and in-floor spare tire storage.

So far I have only installed "x-track" from Northern Tools on the floor from front to back and on fwd left wall. I have been happy with it and plan on installing more on the walls. I also plan on upgrading the electrical system with a good clean inverter and adding a battery or two more.

I currently use a superwinch portable "toolbox type" winch with synthetic rope to reel vehicles in. It works well but I am still searching for a more permanent and possibly more "trick" setup. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

So far, I have LED loading lights, LED interior lights, finished walls, floors, recessed deep cycle battery, screwless aluminum exterior panels, extended tongue, 7ft ceiling with a push vent. I'm wrinch shopping now and probably add a few more d-rings and a toolbox. Depending on your cabinets, you could have your winch installed in there, so it'll be out of the way and hidden.

Attachments

• SI_20170810_061605.jpg
    SI_20170810_061605.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 51
  • SI_20170810_061634.jpg
    SI_20170810_061634.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 52
  • SI_20170810_061748.jpg
    SI_20170810_061748.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 51
  • SI_20170810_061826.jpg
    SI_20170810_061826.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 51
  • SI_20170808_153052.jpg
    SI_20170808_153052.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So far, I have LED loading lights, LED interior lights, finished walls, floors, recessed deep cycle battery, screwless aluminum exterior panels, extended tongue, 7ft ceiling with a push vent. I'm wrinch shopping now and probably add a few more d-rings and a toolbox. Depending on your cabinets, you could have your winch installed in there, so it'll be out of the way and hidden.
That's a nice setup you have to work with. Yeah, I thought about installing the winch inside the cabinets, but I use them a lot and dont want to cut into them. I think I want to do something inside the spare tire compartment in the floor. Just a cleaner look and there's room with a full spare in there. I dont really have any good close-up pics of what we're talking about, but you'll get an idea from these.

f3bdce2281a1f4e72c2b0cddfe1444cf.jpg8fa258d43c1ebc33c4bf25c0071e43a2.jpgbfd0a10054fa4e2215a7e929e5610456.jpg2b62248a24ded3c5386e6f7b3f8d9a69.jpg4556e29069baa99fb894cea1b8955d69.jpgb45f26dd4b08faae3c65e59f2ec7a8b4.jpg

OP
OP
EJR_3

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That's a nice setup you have to work with. Yeah, I thought about installing the winch inside the cabinets, but I use them a lot and dont want to cut into them. I think I want to do something inside the spare tire compartment in the floor. Just a cleaner look and there's room with a full spare in there. I dont really have any good close-up pics of what we're talking about, but you'll get an idea from these.

2b62248a24ded3c5386e6f7b3f8d9a69.jpg

I see what you're saying with the spare tire compartment. I saw a setup of what you're talking about. Do you have a link or more details of the tool box winch? When I first read it, I was expecting to see a winch store inside a huge aluminum tool box. Yours pretty legit and practical.

Your trailer is awesome btw.

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I see what you're saying with the spare tire compartment. I saw a setup of what you're talking about. Do you have a link or more details of the tool box winch? When I first read it, I was expecting to see a winch store inside a huge aluminum tool box. Yours pretty legit and practical.

Your trailer is awesome btw.
Yes, it is very compact, portable, and handles a rolling vehicle very easily. The heaviest Ive pulled with it is a Yukon, at around 5500 lbs and it was no problem. Throw everything back in the box and close it up, hit the road. I think they did a great job designing it except the plastic latches are weak. Here's the link for the one I got off Amazon:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ghZMAA&usg=AFQjCNHOSonom0vRZtXaeYVGee9h8HHtbQ

OP
OP
EJR_3

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes, it is very compact, portable, and handles a rolling vehicle very easily. The heaviest Ive pulled with it is a Yukon, at around 5500 lbs and it was no problem. Throw everything back in the box and close it up, hit the road. I think they did a great job designing it except the plastic latches are weak. Here's the link for the one I got off Amazon:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ghZMAA&usg=AFQjCNHOSonom0vRZtXaeYVGee9h8HHtbQ

Yeah, the latches seems to the the biggest complaint. For the price, convenience, and functionality, it's hard to pass up. Especially if you have multiple trailers.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yeah, the latches seems to the the biggest complaint. For the price, convenience, and functionality, it's hard to pass up. Especially if you have multiple trailers.
For sure. I only have the one trailer, but I have pulled a stump from a revine with it as well. I plan on carrying it with me in the truck in the winter. Could come in handy. Oh, it also works to lift a full keg into horizontal deep freeze that's been turned into a kegerator lol

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ride level when empty. I have the Husky Centerline TS #32218. I don't have lighter bars, but tried with and without the bars.

For that hitch, without bars you have no sway control. If you have the heavy bars adjusted way loose for the empty traier, there is little friction to counter the sway.

Then again, the heavy bars may be upsetting the balance. But then you say the trailer is riding level regardless.

You could try to adjust the trailer just a little nose down when empty. What is the empty trailer tongue weight?

Just a few guesses here.

OP
OP
EJR_3

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
For that hitch, without bars you have no sway control. If you have the heavy bars adjusted way loose for the empty traier, there is little friction to counter the sway.

Then again, the heavy bars may be upsetting the balance. But then you say the trailer is riding level regardless.

You could try to adjust the trailer just a little nose down when empty. What is the empty trailer tongue weight?

Just a few guesses here.

I have it set as loose as it can go (which should be for 600 TW according to Husky). I figured since its under 5k empty it would be fine to tow it empty without the WDH. Haven't been to the scale yet, but according to the LOOK brochure, it's 410 TW. I'm sure it doesn't account for any of the upgrades. The title states that it's 4,130 unloaded, brochure states it 3,680. I'm taking it to the scales tomorrow since I'm going to the track Saturday. I'll post the the real weight tomorrow.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its fine to tow empty, but for some reason your sway control is not working well when set up empty, which may be why you are feeling the wind effects.