Estimated MPG while towing light loads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I know the first thing people will say is..Why worry about MPG when you bought a truck. I get it, but my truck is what I use to haul my motorcycle to and from events. So proper planning and coordination helps me bring better proposals to sponsors to offset costs.

I bought a new Ram 1500 Single cab with the Class V tow package, the V8 hemi, and the works. I will be towing a mid sized trailer for 2 dirt bikes, fuel, tires, tool box, and random parts I may need. I estimate my weight to be around 1000 lbs - 1300 lbs being towed in a enclosed trailer.

Once the engine is broke in, does anyone have a rough idea what I can expect? I've anticipated 14 MPG highway. But would like to hear some real world experiences.

Again, I'm not overly worried about what the truck will get. But it's nice to offload 50%-75% of the travel costs to a sponsor instead of spending out of pocket :gr_grin:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Trailer height/size plays a much bigger factor on highway MPGs than the weight. With my '09 I was getting over 16mpg pulling our 2300# popup camper. Due to the low profile there was almost no drag. Depending on how much you trailer roof is above your truck cab I would think that 14 is a reasonable expectation.

tap tap tappa-roo

Last edited:
OP
OP

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trailer height/size plays a much bigger factor on highway MPGs than the weight. With my '09 I was getting over 16mpg pulling our 2300# popup camper. Due to the low profile there was almost no drag. Depending on how much you trailer roof is above you track cab I would think that 14 is a reasonable expectation.

tap tap tappa-roo

Thanks, I am currently looking at new trailers with the V shaped front to reduce drag. It won't be a massive trailer in terms of high or length. Maybe 8-12 feet max. Just need enough room to Secure two dirtbikes side by side, 2-4 spare sets of tires, and all the fixings (oil, filters, ect).

Thanks for reinforcing my projections though!

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
2013 Laramie 4X4 with 3.21 gears and 8 speed transmission.

I get 14 mpg towing a 6000# open car trailer. I would expect for you to get better MPG if you have the 8 speed as well.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I towed a Harley in an enclosed trailer (10ft long, 8 ft height) prob weighed a total of 2500lbs and I avg 11 mpg over 1500 miles. I have a 2013 crew cab 4x4 with towing package and 3.92 gears - the truck was completely stock at the time.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2013 Laramie 4X4 with 3.21 gears and 8 speed transmission.

I get 14 mpg towing a 6000# open car trailer. I would expect for you to get better MPG if you have the 8 speed as well.

I think it depends on the truck. I get that mileage empty right now. I honestly don't think the 8 speed is all its cracked up to be. Dpnt get me wrong, the towing I've done with ot was miles ahead with the 8 speed but mpg wise not sp much.
Pulling a 17' aluminum boat weighing arpund 2500 to 3000 pounds I averaged 11.5 mpg's this last summer.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Size (width x height) of the trailer is your biggest enemy.

Figure 30% loss in MPG, and it'll be close.

FWIW - I got an average of 12mpg pulling a 6x12' enclosed across country, weighing approximate 2,500 lbs.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FWIW, I just drug my camper out to my hunting property tonight, and ave'd 9.9 mpg towing a 25' 6000 lb camper @ highway speeds with ~ 20 mph winds and rolling hills.

Same trip back sans camper, I ave'd 19.9 mpg, and had I not got on it hard a couple of times, I'd have been 20 easy.

And this is a 2012 4x4 Laramie crewcab w/3.92s totally stock except for the tonneau cover.

Too bad it rained all day the past 2 days, this would have been a good time to test out my catch can.

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 ram 1500 3.55 gears, towed my 12 Challenger on my open trailer around 5500lbs to a race, hand calc 13.6 mph in the 65mph area give or take at times.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it depends on the truck. I get that mileage empty right now. I honestly don't think the 8 speed is all its cracked up to be. Dpnt get me wrong, the towing I've done with ot was miles ahead with the 8 speed but mpg wise not sp much.
Pulling a 17' aluminum boat weighing arpund 2500 to 3000 pounds I averaged 11.5 mpg's this last summer.

The 8 speed has 20% less parasitic lose vs the 6 speed, more horsepower and torque to the wheels. The 8 speed has 2 lower gears than the 6 speed to get the load rolling easier. 8 speed also has more gears to choose from to find optimal towing performance. It beats the Ecoboost in towing tests. Gear ranges have better spacing, shifting is much better. 8 speed also has a much higher torque rating, around 520 torque vs the 6 speed at around 420 torque. It is actually head and shoulders above the 6 speed.

Sounds pretty well cracked up to what it is suppose to be to me.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The 8 speed has 20% less parasitic lose vs the 6 speed, more horsepower and torque to the wheels. The 8 speed has 2 lower gears than the 6 speed to get the load rolling easier. 8 speed also has more gears to choose from to find optimal towing performance. It beats the Ecoboost in towing tests. Gear ranges have better spacing, shifting is much better. 8 speed also has a much higher torque rating, around 520 torque vs the 6 speed at around 420 torque. It is actually head and shoulders above the 6 speed.

Sounds pretty well cracked up to what it is suppose to be to me.

I understand all of that. In theory it is better but real world what is the difference? 20% less parasitic load combined with active grill shutters combined with electric power steering combined with the new voltage regulation gets you better hp and mpg's in theory but real world I notice no improvements. I am getting the same exact mileage the 6 speed is rated for, that isn't an improvement to me. I was also hoping with the 8 speed since it has a higher torque capacity that they would eliminate or at least tame down the torque management but that hasnt gone away either. I still would much rather have the 8 speed than the 5/6 speed, but to me the mileage estimates don't match real world numbers, that is the main reason I went with the truck I have over a cheaper express, going by the mpg estimates I would break even going from 15 to 17 mpg's combined, that would make up most of the difference in payment. That hasn't been the case.