Factory Trailer Brake Controller ADDED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jzoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a 2012 Dodge ram 1500 and have added a Dealer Factroy Brake Controller Please post and let me know if you EVIC is working with the Brake Controller. Let me know if the info is being displayed on your EVIC and do you have the option in your setup screen to change your brake type! Thank You for your posts. The reason i am asking for this info is because my info does not show up on the screen and the dealer service center says it will not show up there!

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems like it would be something they could flash and unlock. I can't imagine there's a separate EVIC for every combination of options. However, I called and asked about adding the compass to mine and was told it wouldn't work.

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 Express that has the EVIC and trailer brake control and everything shows up on the EVIC. It came from the factory that way; I didn't add it. But the Express is a stripped down model so I would think they could make it work on yours.

Cormier3288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7-liter HEMI
I had it afterwards to my truck and they updaded my Computer so that it is reflected on my dash as an option 2011 Outdoorsman

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate dealerships. I'm sure it's not just Dodge that does this, but if you're going to make your vehicles where you have to flash the computer to be able to add anything to them after purchasing, at least educate your service departments on how to do it and that it is in fact possible.

Cormier3288...mind if I ask you if they charged your for doing the computer?

OP
OP
J

Jzoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe they are not doing it right! Have another appointment on Monday. I started this post to prove to them that there are people adding the brake controller and having there system updated downloaded and flashed and it shows up on the EVIC, because they still tell me it won't. Keep the post coming!

Last edited:

2serious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They most definitely can. Guy at work had the factory brake controller added when he bought the truck, and they told him they install it and flash the computer. His shows up on the dash.

Cormier3288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7-liter HEMI
I paid $300 something. I can't remember exactly. that was for the part and to install it. If you call
Adams Jeep of Maryland
3485 Churchville Road
Aberdeen, MD 21001
(866) 953-5535

as for the aftermarket shop (they call it Adams Extreme Shop)

They were knowledgeable, and care about their customers.

OP
OP
J

Jzoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well got my truck back after 6 hours, They got the program in.
step 1. program brake controler. (leave unhooked)
2. program computer for truk
3. flash EVIC
4. hook brake controler 2 connectors up.
5.check to make sure it is in the evic. if not cycle power, if still not there start over at step 1.
It took them two times then it worked!!
Want to tell everyone thanks!!

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to here, I think they never added the option code to your vin the first time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy-S3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just installed mine and just had it flashed does it need to be hooked to a trailer with brakes to show up in evic?

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just installed mine and just had it flashed does it need to be hooked to a trailer with brakes to show up in evic?

It's a setting in there somewhere to view it. I've never hooked a trailer to mine and it shows up. But it was factory installed.

OP
OP
J

Jzoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If you go into your setup screen on your EVIC it will be all the way to the bottom, Trailer Brakes, You will be able to selcet 4 types, light electric,heavy electric, H/O electric light,H/O electric heavy. check there first, if it is not there then they did not do it right, also get in your truck start it up, watch your evic and push your manual lever for trailer brakes, it should show up on your screen No Trailer. When trailer is hooked up it will show you trailer is hooked up and show your precentage and your setting for your trailer brakes. I will make a video and put it on youtube tonight. so to youtube and type in Jon Zoss and it should bring up my videos. I shoule be there by 10 pm. Let me know if you need any more help. If you have a problem with the dealer installing it have them call Mike (Service Manager) Billion Dodge Ram, Sioux Falls, SD
you will have to look up the phone number.

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gonna go try that now. Thanks for the info. I will also look for you video on YouTube tonight. I'm assuming your central time?

Marc1982443

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 big horn cc
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took truck back to dealer and it is now working. The guy doing the work looked at the service manager and was like you should have told me this was added afterwards and not to just program the truck..

rbrumm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid a little over 100 for mine. I installed the controller I bought on-line, dealer flashed the computer for free because they needed to anyway. I was very pleased!

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you go into your setup screen on your EVIC it will be all the way to the bottom, Trailer Brakes, You will be able to selcet 4 types, light electric,heavy electric, H/O electric light,H/O electric heavy. check there first, if it is not there then they did not do it right, also get in your truck start it up, watch your evic and push your manual lever for trailer brakes, it should show up on your screen No Trailer. When trailer is hooked up it will show you trailer is hooked up and show your precentage and your setting for your trailer brakes. I will make a video and put it on youtube tonight. so to youtube and type in Jon Zoss and it should bring up my videos. I shoule be there by 10 pm. Let me know if you need any more help. If you have a problem with the dealer installing it have them call Mike (Service Manager) Billion Dodge Ram, Sioux Falls, SD
you will have to look up the phone number.

Hey Jon, I had the brake controller programmed by my dealer today, it works just like yours but I do not have the option to change the trailer brake type. Do you know how they did this? I think they forgot to add a menu option. I have the 2011 1500 sport.

Thanks

Litenyaup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to add one to mine. I have a 2011 as well. Looking for the factory trailer brake not an aftermarket.

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7