Factory trailer brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Connor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
my brake controller doesn't seem to work right I installed it a few months back an tried it with several trailers I can turn it up to 10 it just barely starts to grab it's a oem brake controller if you manually pitch it it seems to work I've seen where people say to go into the system setting an adjust it but my system setting panel doesn't say anything about trailer brake setting any help would be appreciated thanks

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my brake controller doesn't seem to work right I installed it a few months back an tried it with several trailers I can turn it up to 10 it just barely starts to grab it's a oem brake controller if you manually pitch it it seems to work I've seen where people say to go into the system setting an adjust it but my system setting panel doesn't say anything about trailer brake setting any help would be appreciated thanks

Have you had it programmed by the dealer? If not then you need to have a dealer add the TBM code to the computer so it recognizes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Did you have a dealer add the sales code to your truck for the ITBM?
There should be setting on the EVIC and in the radio for the brake controller.

OP
OP
C

Connor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
No I haven't yet does it have to be a dealer or can any shop that can plug into it

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No I haven't yet does it have to be a dealer or can any shop that can plug into it

Has to be a dealer they add the ITBM sales code to the VIN so it will all work through the computers. They usually charge an hours worth of labor, mine charged me $135 but I had them add about 15 codes at once.

OP
OP
C

Connor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Has to be a dealer they add the ITBM sales code to the VIN so it will all work through the computers. They usually charge an hours worth of labor, mine charged me $135 but I had them add about 15 codes at once.

Alrighty thank you I'll try that

DAK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I am thinking correctly your brake controller is located below your headlight switch, if it is then having the sales code added to your truck will only allow you to see the controller output in the EVIC. It sounds like the controller is not outputting enough voltage to the brakes . I use the original Prodigy controller that I used in my "00" Dakota and my "08" Dakota, the only thing I had to change is the pigtail adapter because Dodge changed the 4 pin plug on the truck.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have you gone into the settings and changed to "heavy electric" trailer?

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Man, $135 is steep. Idk where you are located but here in NC most dealers charge around $60 for any flashes or code changes.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Man, $135 is steep. Idk where you are located but here in NC most dealers charge around $60 for any flashes or code changes.

San Antonio, I found every code I wanted to add eventually and made them program 15 at once. That way I only had to eat that cost once.

Back in Idaho it would have been $55

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AFMoulton...can you provide a list of these 15 codes...I'm getting my camera done and I know I need that,brake controller is next.would be really interested in others I should tell the dealer to do.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still interested.....anyone???

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Still interested.....anyone???

Hey sorry just saw this. I'm at training right now so I don't have access to my paperwork that had all the codes and what they were listed on it. If you can wait a month I could probably get back to you with them.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Some places, like RV dealers, can also program the code. I don't know how, but they can. They did on my truck. I bought the OEM brake controller from a RAM dealer and had the RV dealer install and program it. Works fine and only cost me $50 for the install and program.