Finally did some towing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally took my new trailer out!
Its a 2017 Sandstorm 211SLC toyhauler. The overall length is about 28'. The dry weight, no liquids, just propane is about 6700lbs. The dry hitch weight is about 960lbs.

My Ram is a 1500 4x4 with the hemi, 3.92 gears, 285/75/17 E rated tires, Firestone work-rite airbags (inside the coils) and those extended bump stops.

I use a BlueOx weight distributing hitch with the 1,500lbs bars. With the trailer hooked up to my truck and some stuff in the front cargo storage of the trailer I get about 1" of sag in the rear, and about 1/4" sag on the front.

I'll address some concerns and opinions people have expressed with a trailer this heavy and this long pulling with a 1500. So far I've dragged the trailer around for about 600 miles. Up and down hills and in 100' heat.
Stopping: The truck and trailer stop without any problems.

Accelerating: I feel like hemi handles the 7500lbs with ease. The motor does not run hot, even while going up hill in 105' heat. Oil temp get higher than I like while going up hill. Has been up to 250' On flat ground it'll be around 235' while towing.
I have the 6 speed trans in it. On a 4,000' climb last night the trans did get up to 200' when I got to the peak of the mountain. And again, at 200' about sea-level to start the climb it was over 100 outside and at the top of the hill it was about 88'. So I'd expect all the temps to be a lot lower in the other 3 seasons.

Trailer Sway: Zero. I have not experienced any sway. I've only driven in winds of about 15-20mph and the truck and trailer seemed to move as one. Being passed my semi-trucks does not push the truck around like some have experienced. I believe this has to do with my setup. The tires, airbags, heavy rating on the WDH, and a heavy trailer hitch weight.

***In the pic posted, the WDH is not setup properly.

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 82

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
I agree. I've towed that same TH hundreds of miles over grades from Mfg to dealership. Same ish truck & set up. IE 1500 ED 3.92s, no sway WDH, axle to frame air bags, & load tires. Ideally with WDH adjustments made at a CAT scale. I've seen our trucks with a lot less in tow be a white knuckled menace on the road. Investing in these things can pay hugh safety & maintenance benefits. And yes I know it doesn't change what it can tow legally. Many people don't even know Ram tells you to use a WDH for trailers over 5,000 pounds.

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Proper setup is everything! Without the WDH the front end comes up 1" with the hitch properly setup, the front end drops 1/4"+

I highly recommend the BlueOx WDH. Easy to use, allows backing up, great sway control, and the bars are interchangeable. Meaning if you buy a smaller trailer with a lighter hitch weight and trailer weight, then a few years down the road all you need to do is but new bars with a heavier rating. No need to spend $600+ on a new WDH.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Awesome, I love to hear about a good camping trip.

My only advice would be to get one of these to be on the safe side
05dp_07_z%2Binternational_mxt_truck%2Bdrivers_side.jpg