First real test (V6 hauling review)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought my 2015 QC V6 back in February and have made some short trips while hauling lumber and cement from the Home Depot (6 miles from my house), but Sunday was the first real test. I had been trying to sell some old solid wood furniture for the past 6 months. I finally got an offer on Wednesday of last week. I agreed not realizing that a tropical storm was headed my way (located in NW GA). The lady lived in Huntsville, AL, and since I have family that lives in HSV, I agreed to bring it to her for 40.00 extra in gas money. Spent Saturday evening wrapping, loading, and tarping the load so it would remain dry and set off first thing Sunday morning with my wife, 3 kids, and a load of furniture in the bed.

Combined the furniture easily weighed 1000 lbs and filled the bed of my truck with some overhang on the sides. To get from Rome, GA to HSV you have to go over a mountain with about 1100ft elevation change. According to the EVIC (I know) I averaged around 20 MPG. You could tell performance was affected by the load, the aerodynamic restrictions, and the added winds and rain from the storm, but the truck still performed.

On the way back I averaged 23.0 MPG on the EVIC ( I reset it on the way back). Round trip is around 250 miles and I'm happy to say the truck performed as well as imagined. Probably not a big deal for the HEMI, Eco, and Cummins models, but I was quite happy with the V6 performance.

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
NICE! I have the 2017 crew cab, 3.6 and 3.21 gears. I believe the max I can tow is around 4,500lbs. I might get a sleeper camper trailer soon, and they weigh under 4,000lbs so it was a perfect choice for me.

I also like how darn quiet this truck is. It's hard to tell if it's running from only 10 yards away. As I age, I favor comfort over performance, this truck fits the bill for me!