First Time Towing - What Do I Need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Hey folks -

I'm going to be moving from New York to Texas this summer and am planning on towing my belongings (after selling furniture) with a U-Haul rental trailer. I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7L. It does not have the digital trailer brake installed in it but it does have the "Tow/Haul" option on my dash. I know to try and distribute the majority of the weight over the center of the trailer and then even the front and rear weights, but any advice beyond that? I don't want my truck to sag either as this will be a three day trip.

Any advice for making a trip like this and towing the largest U-Haul covered trailer (6'x12')? I've read about the air pillows for the rear and all, and I imagine I should install the digital trailer brake? Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
A trailer brake controller would definitely help your own brakes depending on how heavy the actual trailer is, although it is not necessarily needed. As for the air bags in the back coils to help out, these trucks do sag pretty easily because of the coil spring in the back, and once again weight will be a factor, its gonna have to be a pretty heavy trailer to sag it low enough to be a problem.

Where in Texas ya moving to?

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
A trailer brake controller would definitely help your own brakes depending on how heavy the actual trailer is, although it is not necessarily needed. As for the air bags in the back coils to help out, these trucks do sag pretty easily because of the coil spring in the back, and once again weight will be a factor, its gonna have to be a pretty heavy trailer to sag it low enough to be a problem.

Where in Texas ya moving to?

About 30 minutes Southeast of Fort Worth, around the Midlothian area. Just waiting on a date from work and then I will start to look a bit more definitively at apartments for the first year and all to learn the area.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Oh wow. Okay. I live pretty much right there normally.

Right now I'm in College Station going to school, but during the summer I'll be about 10 minutes north of you in Mansfield. And we have other members on here from Midlothian.

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Oh wow. Okay. I live pretty much right there normally.

Right now I'm in College Station going to school, but during the summer I'll be about 10 minutes north of you in Mansfield. And we have other members on here from Midlothian.

Nice! Yeah, we are looking at maybe living in Mansfield or something when we first get there...not sure though.

Off-topic, but I want to try and find a good volunteer fire department while I'm down there too...just don't know the area and most that i have found seem to be paid guys...

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Awesome! Mansfields a pretty sweet little town. Has just about everything you need and all within like a 10 minute drive. But I don't know of any volunteer fie departments in the area. Maybe in Alvarado?

On the other hand, when ya move down let me know! Maybe I'll see ya around town if you decide Mansfield is where ya wanna stay.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
For this particular job there is no point in having a brake controller. If I recall correctly none of the U-Haul trailers come equipped with electric brakes, only reactive compression brakes which are incorporated into the hitch.

Also, when loading the trailer just keep in mind, better to have a little too much weight on the tongue rather than not enough, otherwise it is quite easy to develop sway.

The most important thing in my opinion, is be conscious of where you are on the road, how much space you occupy, and where everyone else is on the road around you. That will be a reasonably heavy trailer by the time you are done with it so try to make sure you leave extra space for braking as it will push you a little compared to normal stopping.

Also, try to utilize engine braking, and save your service brakes, especially on steep down grades.

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Okay got it. Just curious, if I downshift in the truck (it's an automatic) how do I get it back into automatic mode so I don't have to continue to shift the truck manually. I can't seem to figure that out other than dropping it to neutral them back to drive?? It's a 2010??

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
One more follow-up...I know the tow/haul button raises the RPM's at which the transmission shifts - do you recommend using it or no for a load such as that?

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If you "shift" all the way back up, or hold the up arrow in manual shift it will go back into drive without having to shift into neutral.

As for the tow haul mode I would say it depends on where/how you are driving. If you are hauling reasonably small/light trailers usually you don't need it, but if you are on the highway, and find your truck shifting into, and out of O-Drive a lot you should hit the button to keep your tranny cooler, and reduce wear on it.

mikey0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have done quite a bit of towing and all above is correct. Without trailer brakes you will need more space to stop and be more smooth about doing it, give your self a longer space to slow and brake the vehicle. I have a 13 Ram and if you press and hold + on the shift lever it will return to normal drive mode. As far as the tow haul mode, feel the truck if it is lagging and shifting a lot up grades then put it in tow haul mode. If it is shifting normally leave it in the regular shift, mode. These trucks are pretty "smart" but you have to listen to what they need. If you feel you are going to be heavy and the truck sags, you may want to look at getting a weight distribution hitch and have uhaul add it to the trailer, I am sure they won't mind as it will be less strain on their trailer too. This will help distribute the weight across both vehicles. This can be a pricey option though, I would inquire uhaul first. Good luck!!!

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Thanks folks!

ZakkBaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hope you got the info you needed! :D
I'm also making a move from VA to FTW Texas in a couple months myself! :) The drive will be just great.....lol

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To add to that ^^^

Make sure that your starts and stops are smooth and easy. You don't want to throw your stuff around in the trailer. Be safe. Welcome to Texas!!!

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
For this particular job there is no point in having a brake controller. If I recall correctly none of the U-Haul trailers come equipped with electric brakes, only reactive compression brakes which are incorporated into the hitch.

You beat me to it. The uhauls have their own braking system built into the tongue of the trailer. When i worked there i used to get asked all the time if a trailer brake was needed for the bigger trailers. Just a 4 pin wiring harness is all you need. I used to drive to different stores with my car to pick up trucks and car trailers then strap mine to the trailer. The braking system works pretty well, i never had any issues hauling my car around. In my opinion, if youre just towing once to get down there then theres no need to install a trailer brake. If your going to tow frequently then a brake controller would pay for itself after a few tows

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Hope you got the info you needed! :D
I'm also making a move from VA to FTW Texas in a couple months myself! :) The drive will be just great.....lol

At least you're starting in VA! I swear there is no state that takes longer to get through when traveling south than Virginia...it damn near takes a full day! :whymewhyme:

Thanks for the good info guys.

How about trailer security? Just a good anti-cut master lock or something?

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
I've done this type of move/towing twice with U-Hauls. Once with a Cherokee 4.0 from Kansas City to Massachusetts. The second time w/ a Grand Cherokee 4.7 from Massachusetts back to Kansas City, (4 yrs later).

It is highly likely you will ever need to shift of even use the "tow haul" mode. Just drive. A couple of things to consider. I like to place as much loose stuff in sealed tubs as possible. This is especially helpful for kitchen items and clothes. I tie everything in. Get a lock for the trailer door. I would also get a hitch lock and lock the trailer to the vehicle and lock the trailer latch when not in use. I like to have a portable air compressor handy. Get a can of flat fix too. Finally, if you stop overnight park the trailer under the brightest light available. Trailers are ripe for thieves

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I just recently started towing myself (up to about 6 tows now). All the advice given here is great. The locks for the trailer is definitely something you will want to do too.

I will say, the $90 investment for rear bags would be worth it. No doubt about it, your truck will sag. I ordered mine last week, but have not had a chance to install them, but I will before I tow again. Hit up Discount Auto Performance, they are a site sponsor here and will give you great service.

Discount Auto Performance - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Thanks folks! For the air bags, do I need a compressor and switch in the cab rigged up to control the load? Also, how difficult are they to install? Looks like something I may want a shop to do for me?

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The Airlifts are great, and easy to install. It takes about an hour, maybe 2 by the time you run all the air lines, etc.

I would recommend doing it yourself. Also, there are some good ideas in a thread that is currently hovering around the top of this list titled Airlift 1000.

http://www.ramforum.com/f119/airlift_1000_a-30050/