First time towing questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey All,

I have a couple questions about towing with my truck.

1 - What is the max speed you can use tow/haul mode?

2 - Can you shift in and out of tow/haul mode at any speed?

3 - Can you shift in and out of 4wd while tow/haul mode is active?

4 - What is the max speed you can run in 4wd?

Thanks

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey All,

Thanks

1- I hit 100 mph (dumb, I know) before backing off. I would assume that the max speed is the same if the GOV speed limiter.

2- Yes, you can activate/disable TOW/HAUL while driving. However, I try to switch while stopped.

I have a 2WD, so can't say nothing on 3 and 4. My advice, turn on TOW/HAUL before you start your journey and turn it off once you drop your load. No need to switching while you're driving.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey All,

Thanks

1) faster then you should be going with a trailer

2) yes

3) yes

4) i dont have a definitive answer on this but my general rule of thumb is if you can maintain highway speeds, you dont need 4wd. 45-50+ mph i would be shifting back to 2wd.

OP
OP
WiSH2oo0

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks EJR.

Yeah I did mean as far as max speed limits go within local speed limit laws on the Interstate.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
1) faster then you should be going with a trailer

2) yes

3) yes

4) i dont have a definitive answer on this but my general rule of thumb is if you can maintain highway speeds, you dont need 4wd. 45-50+ mph i would be shifting back to 2wd.

All of this I'm pretty sure you can run as fast as the truck wants to go in 4wd I believe you can only shift into 4wd under 55mph.
Although highway speeds in 4hi I don't think would be safe 4wd auto should be good if you have it.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Manual says 55 mph max. Not sure if it's limited to shifting into 4x4 only, or if that's limited electronically. Never needed 4x4 over 35 mph... Get a Raptor if you're going to go that fast with 4x4, because jumping dunes is the only way that's even necessary.

Tow/haul just holds lower gears longer under normal driving, helping with acceleration and engine braking, and disables MDS in the Hemis, 5.7 HD not included. If you're bouncing off the governor, you're probably not going to notice any difference.

I highly recommend literature known as "Owners Manual". Great read :D

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey All,

Thanks

I would check the tires on the trailer for speed rating. Most ST tires are rated at 65 MPH. If your trailer has LT tires then they should be rated for higher speeds.

OP
OP
WiSH2oo0

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manual says 55 mph max. Not sure if it's limited to shifting into 4x4 only, or if that's limited electronically. Never needed 4x4 over 35 mph... Get a Raptor if you're going to go that fast with 4x4, because jumping dunes is the only way that's even

I highly recommend literature known as "Owners Manual". Great read :D

In Florida I agree 35 mph is fine in 4wd but up here in the Mid West where we get snow 35 max isn't going to cut it. That's why I'm asking because the manual doesn't say any of the info on my questions. Otherwise people like myself would quote the manual along with a page number.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might be thinking of my old truck, but I think tow/haul turns off when you shut truck down. Must be re-engaged on restart. I was also under the impression that 4WD should not be used on dry pavement at higher speeds.

OP
OP
WiSH2oo0

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the help guys.

I'll be running my trip up to Madison WI today. I took a pic of all my normal operating temps empty for reference after my 300 mile trip on Thursday. I was hoping to weight my load at the local refinery but they wised up and blocked the scale readings so you cannot see it any more from outside the building.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In Florida I agree 35 mph is fine in 4wd but up here in the Mid West where we get snow 35 max isn't going to cut it. That's why I'm asking because the manual doesn't say any of the info on my questions. Otherwise people like myself would quote the manual along with a page number.

I'm from MI, just have the displeasure of currently residing in FL. If you're going over 35, 4wd isn't going to help except in initial acceleration, and give a bit of additional gear braking, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. Page 518 is tow haul, and 520 is 4WD, 2016 manual. 4Lo max 25 mph, 4Hi says max shift into 4x4 speed of 55. Googled the manual and looked it up in 2 minutes.