first tow 2500 6.4 vs Ecoboost f150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the first run with the camper went pretty well with the new truck.
Stability was greatly increased over the 1/2 ton ford. Passing Semis, and gusty winds failed to really move the truck or 30 foot camper around much at all. I am very happy with that aspect. Power wise, it felt comparable to the ecoboost, even though my ford had 3:31 gearing and this truck has 3:73, they are very similar in gearing because of the tranny in this truck. I feel the ecoboost would hold a gear a bit longer before downshifting, However that is an assumption because I never had the ford on this particular route.

I was on 77 from NC up from NC into VA and ending in the mountains of WV.
Being that I was on 77m I was not surprised that my mpg was dismal at 9.4 avg, both ways. This is on Hilly piece of real estate with one 7.5 mile stretch of 8% or so.

The tranny never gave me any issues, and contrary to what I read about shifting from 4th to 2nd on downshifts, mine seemed to like third very well and would shift down from 4th to third and hold 65 at about 3300 rpms up the long hills at about 1/2 throttle.

So issues.. None during the drive, however upon arriving at the campground, I did several shut down and starts within a few minutes of one another as I was trying to maneuver and level the camper. One of those restarts resulted in a very brief puff of smoke, and a lifter tick for about 2 seconds.

I had gotten a puff of smoke at home too under the same circumstances.. Pulled the camper upt he driveway with a little throttle to get up the hill, immediatly shut it off, and then restarted it about 5 minutes later to get it back down, and got a puff of smoke. has not don it at any other time.. just assuming the quick shut off left some ickiness in the cylinder as it was under load and then burned it off when restarted.

Tow Haul mode worked great, however after arriving, I took it out of tow haul mode about an hour later to go drive around and check out the area and it stuttered and hickupped a bit at low rpms..Makes me wander about the EGR valve TSB that going on in another thread . Never did it again, or prior.
I have the first oil change scheduled Saturday,should have about 1900 miles on it, then Ill see if they have any tsbs out that need performed.
Have had a Very faint whine since new, cant tell if its rear diff or stock tires..starts around 50, can hear it either on the gas or coasting, it makes no difference .

IN short, truck did extremely well, and I imagine going to the beach in 2 weeks, the mileage to be significantly better since it will be mostly flat. I really enjoyed the tow compared to the ford, I could have driven 500 miles easy in the Big Hemi.. was very much non-stressful!

Pulling out of the house..
IMG_0841_zpsj3vzy3lg.jpg"]IMG_0841_zpsj3vzy3lg.jpg[/URL]

Pipestem WV

IMG_0843_zps1nvmjujx.jpg

Happy Campers!

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wouldn't be alarmed by puff of smoke after towing before it's 100% broken in, just check oil level. Seems a lot of guys have that until 10-15kish. Where in NC are you? I'm in Charlotte area. Glad to hear the truck worked as supposed to and it'll only get better as it wears in. The whine is from the rear diff mine does it on decel from 65ish. Just chalked it up as it's a 2500 truck and there's a thread on Cummins forum regarding it

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Andrew, Im in Summerfield NC, basically Greensboro so only about 1.5 hours from you.

I was Extremely happy with the performance.. I expect that where I was pulling, was probably the Worst case scenario in terms of where I believe I will be camping. Long steep highway grades, and slow winding steep mountains. It was a good test I think. Saw the tranny stay in the 165-172 range most of the time. Coolant was 210 or so +/- a tad on Average.

Yea Im not overly concerned with the whine, its a barely there noise right now.. Im going to mention it saturday at my Oil Change just to have something stating I noticed it pretty much since new. That way if it ever gets worse etc.. Ill have that to fall back on.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Good to hear your trip went well. The puff of smoke or tick wouldn't worry me. The cylinders probably loaded up and burned off on start. The tick is very common with the hemi. The whine could be anything from trans to tires to wheel bearings. It's under warranty so just see if it gets worse. Thanks for the pics looking good.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Nice, glad to hear all went well. I've noticed if i do a shut down and quick restart mine will occasionally do that. I've got 700 miles on mine so far. Took out the tt for the first time on Saturday for its annual wax (that's a lot of work on an aluminum side rig, trust me) and also just for a ride and to check my wdh set up on level ground. All went very well.

Tow / haul worked great and the truck handled my old heavy Layton very well.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
My 2015 just did the Puff of blueish white smoke the other day while doing a couple startups quickly while hooking up camper. It has only done it a couple times and has done the lifter noise a few times also. Its so intermittent there is no way a dealer will be able to diagnose so I am not even going to waste my time or theirs at this point. I wish someone would just have an explanation for these quirks. Kind of annoying really. Truck did tow well on my trip to Zaleski Ohio this week. Oh my truck just hit 10k miles.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Reading your comment about power being about the same as ECO Boost, wait until about the 15K mileage mark and then compare. Thinking you will see a significant difference. I sure did. Very happy with the power now at 45K.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Reading your comment about power being about the same as ECO Boost, wait until about the 15K mileage mark and then compare. Thinking you will see a significant difference. I sure did. Very happy with the power now at 45K.

Thanks for that Carl. Good to know it takes that long to break in.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Hope it doesn't take that long to quit puffing smoke..In parking lots Im always cringing starting it up hoping a puff a smoke doesn't pop out of my new truck. There is just absolutely no reason for that The. Its a ram thing, and the Hemi Tick seems to just be a deafault response to " we dont know why the hell it does it" from Dodge.

As for the power, I expect it will get better, But as I said, My Rpms are almost identical in this truck per Gear as my f150 with 3:31 gearing, and this truck has 3:73's.. Say's a lot about peoples complaints with this transmission, it is geared fast. Not an issue for me, my tow weights are only 1/2 what its rated for, but I could certainly understand folks pulling 10K or more on a regular basis having a diffferent opinion.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Hope it doesn't take that long to quit puffing smoke..In parking lots Im always cringing starting it up hoping a puff a smoke doesn't pop out of my new truck. There is just absolutely no reason for that The. Its a ram thing, and the Hemi Tick seems to just be a deafault response to " we dont know why the hell it does it" from Dodge.

My sentiments exactly. My truck has 10k on it and just belched out a nice big puff of blueish/white smoke after a few quick startups while hooking up camper. It is bothersome.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My sentiments exactly. My truck has 10k on it and just belched out a nice big puff of blueish/white smoke after a few quick startups while hooking up camper. It is bothersome.

No Modern engine should do this.. Period. It is a flaw of some sort, and it may not hurt anything, and may get better, and even eventually disappear, but in this day and age, there is absolutely no convincing reason it should happen, even once under any circumstances.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
No Modern engine should do this.. Period. It is a flaw of some sort, and it may not hurt anything, and may get better, and even eventually disappear, but in this day and age, there is absolutely no convincing reason it should happen, even once under any circumstances.

I completely agree and you do not typically see these issues with the Chevy or Ford gas engines. Lifters "bleeding down" and causing clatter intermittently and this smoking at startup problem has pretty much washed my confidence away. I will most likely in 6 months or so be going back to a Ford. Sort of disappointing really. :puke:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Just for what it's worth. Not looking to start a argument but the blue/white puff on start can be common across any engine if it's cold and you start stop without letting warm up. A cold engine uses more fuel if you start and stop that it's like shutting your truck off at higher rpms your going to get some excesses fuel loaded up in the cylinder that didn't get ignited. It can happen on all engines. The lifter clatter/tick is annoying as all get out and I don't like it but my brand new 14 did it and I have herd several do it. Not saying it's right but seen very little issues from it. I know several hemi's well into the 150-200k Mile range without issues.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Just for what it's worth. Not looking to start a argument but the blue/white puff on start can be common across any engine if it's cold and you start stop without letting warm up. A cold engine uses more fuel if you start and stop that it's like shutting your truck off at higher rpms your going to get some excesses fuel loaded up in the cylinder that didn't get ignited. It can happen on all engines. The lifter clatter/tick is annoying as all get out and I don't like it but my brand new 14 did it and I have herd several do it. Not saying it's right but seen very little issues from it. I know several hemi's well into the 150-200k Mile range without issues.

I would understand a little puff. I guess I should say small cloud. Its large enough that I could chase it down to smell and walk through it. Maybe a cloud about 3 feet in circumference. It smelled kinda like oil. But not burnt like you would think. Smelled like the fresh clean synthetic oil. It is just a little unnerving. Does not give me the warm and fuzzies. I like the overall platform of this truck. Just wish I had more confidence in the engine. Right now I have 6 months to decide whether I upgrade to a Cummins or a ford gasser with 4.30 gears. I don't think I want a power stroke. Too much going on under the hood or should I say cab.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I like ford and they build a good truck. But get ready to break out your pocket book and pay more for a less optioned truck. I also felt the dodge had the heaviest steering and suspension components of the big 3 when i was looking.

I also know from experience they (ford) are not perfect either. All have pros and cons. Unless it's doing it all the time or getting worse, just run it and don't worry about it. Just my .02.

I think the 6.4 seems łike a very stout engine.

The newest gen 5.3 Chevy i had sounded like an erector set when started cold. It was not confidence inspiring. Completely Normal per Chevy. Such bs.

Last edited:

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I like ford and they build a good truck. But get ready to break out your pocket book and pay more for a less optioned truck. I also felt the dodge had the heaviest steering and suspension components of the big 3 when i was looking.

I also know from experience they (ford) are not perfect either. All have pros and cons. Unless it's doing it all the time or getting worse, just run it and don't worry about it. Just my .02.

I think the 6.4 seems łike a very stout engine.

The newest gen 5.3 Chevy i had sounded like an erector set when started cold. It was not confidence inspiring. Completely Normal per Chevy. Such bs.

Yes the Ford is a little bit more money. I was going to order a 2015 6.2 when I bought my Ram but found the ram for a good price. I know they are all going to have issues and none are perfect. I have already had my rear axle rebuilt on this truck for a whining noise in rear. It was pretty pronounced and is now much better. I guess for me it may be a mixture of buyers remorse, lack of confidence in engine sometimes and a maybe just a preference for the Ford transmission capabilities and ability to get a manual transfer case. The steering components look bigger in my Ram but what would be interesting to know is the wall thickness of components. I would say drivetrain components on all 3 are proven as far as axles, suspension, and steering goes. We shall see. Maybe the truck will redeem itself. I hope

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yes the Ford is a little bit more money. I was going to order a 2015 6.2 when I bought my Ram but found the ram for a good price. I know they are all going to have issues and none are perfect. I have already had my rear axle rebuilt on this truck for a whining noise in rear. It was pretty pronounced and is now much better. I guess for me it may be a mixture of buyers remorse, lack of confidence in engine sometimes and a maybe just a preference for the Ford transmission capabilities and ability to get a manual transfer case. The steering components look bigger in my Ram but what would be interesting to know is the wall thickness of components. I would say drivetrain components on all 3 are proven as far as axles, suspension, and steering goes. We shall see. Maybe the truck will redeem itself. I hope

I hope so too for your sake. Having problems is no fun when you spend so much money for a new vehicle. As to the cost of the ford's, it would have been a lot more money for a comparable 17 superduty that was a bare bones stripper, rubber floor mat interior, xl, painted steel wheels (i like the chrome ones on my dodge). Etc.. they are all good trucks these days thankfully.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope so too for your sake. Having problems is no fun when you spend so much money for a new vehicle. As to the cost of the ford's, it would have been a lot more money for a comparable 17 superduty that was a bare bones stripper, rubber floor mat interior, xl, painted steel wheels (i like the chrome ones on my dodge). Etc.. they are all good trucks these days thankfully.

I honestly bought the Dodge because I liked the Looks better over the Ford.. I have owned Several ford trucks / Suvs over the years but I honestly hate the way the Super Duty looks. In My neck of the woods, price was pretty comparable. I also liked the Advantage the 6.4 had over the 6.2, On paper anyway.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I honestly bought the Dodge because I liked the Looks better over the Ford.. I have owned Several ford trucks / Suvs over the years but I honestly hate the way the Super Duty looks. In My neck of the woods, price was pretty comparable. I also liked the Advantage the 6.4 had over the 6.2, On paper anyway.

Agreed 100%. I love the looks of my ram. That 6.4 is also a beast. I had to get after it a little on an on ramp this morning, maybe 1/2 throttle and man did she pull hard!

I'm not a fan of the styling of either the 16 and older super duty or the new 17 super duty.

The new for then 99 super duty is a good looking truck, but basically a copy of the 1994 ram, which i still have a soft spot for. :)

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I also like the looks of the Ram too. But hey looks arent everything you know. LOL! Who knows maybe common sense will prevail this time.