First tow coming up- break in ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
With you on the old school thinking,
I have been fighting changing my oil to early and the other day my dealer called and told me to come on in for my first free oil change.
I told him that I was only at 2000 miles and he said that was perfect amd he wanted to change it early since it was new amd after that we could get on a normal schedule.
I was waiting untill the end of the month as I will be going on about a 2500 mike trip towing a 6x12 enclosed trailer and wanted fresh oil at that time.

Good deal. Hope that trip is s safe, smooth one for you

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
However, one must ask oneself, is it worth the risk on a $50k+ truck?

Thousands of HD trucks have work bodies installed and loaded up to the trucks GVWR every year, most are beat like rented mules to boot from day one. Many even pull trailers too.
If the OP had to tow from day one, I'd say yeah take it easy. Being that he has a few miles on the truck, and he's not going to beat on his truck, he just has to worry about any idiot drivers around him.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's NOT what the manual says, and from an engineering standpoint, it is not the same thing as just putting 1000 miles on it.

The manual expressly says wait till 500 miles to tow, and then for the 1st 500 miles of towing - NOT the next 500 miles - limit speed to 50 mph & no jack rabbit starts. That is due to the added load on everything. 1000 miles WILL NOT put the same load on the truck as towing will.

That 1st 500 miles of towing could occur with 5000 non-towing miles on the truck....it doesn't matter. The trailer is added weight, and added load.

But it's his truck, (or yours), and he/you can do what ya want.

Yea I have struggled with this. And there are 2 completely different uses in mind here.. One, as a work truck where you are traveling local and pulling your tools, etc.., or for typicall household duties like gettting materials from the hardware store for some work around the house.. In situations like this it is purely reasonable to expect, over time to hit the 500 mile / 50 MPH break in without exceeding any noted limitations.. However then there is use number 2.. which myself, and I believe many others fall into.. and that is pulling an TT.. In that scenario, it will be fairly difficult to stay within those guidelines.
I have made the decision to simply drive normal on the back roads, and maybe slow down a bit on the interstate. I'll probably run 60-62 on the interstate.. Any slower and its just dangerous in my opinion.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JAFE...
And I bet some fresh out of school engineer wrote that part of the manual over 20 years ago and it's never been changed since...
Most of the nanny na sayers on this site spew nonsense from what they have read not any real world experience. They're​ usually the ones that point at the owner's manual.

Like I said, (and you conveniently DIDN'T quote), he can do what he wants, it's his truck...same with you. I & others simply told him what the people who built the truck & can refuse to warranty it if it breaks said he had to do.

You are a good example of todays' generation...thinking you can do what you want with no consequences because you are too impatient to do what you should or what you are told.

Well, I do have experience, lots actually, setting up gears, towing, rebuilding, modifying, porting, etc.....but I'll not bore you with it because you're only gonna hear what YOU want to hear anyway.

Young engineer, old engineer, doesn't matter, it's still a fact of life (or physics, or reality) that increasing load will increase wear, and it will change wear points as well.

In fact, it's not even worth trying to explain it to you...it's already apparent you know everything.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Like I said, (and you conveniently DIDN'T quote), he can do what he wants, it's his truck...same with you. I & others simply told him what the people who built the truck & can refuse to warranty it if it breaks said he had to do.

You are a good example of todays' generation...thinking you can do what you want with no consequences because you are too impatient to do what you should or what you are told.

Well, I do have experience, lots actually, setting up gears, towing, rebuilding, modifying, porting, etc.....but I'll not bore you with it because you're only gonna hear what YOU want to hear anyway.

Young engineer, old engineer, doesn't matter, it's still a fact of life (or physics, or reality) that increasing load will increase wear, and it will change wear points as well.

In fact, it's not even worth trying to explain it to you...it's already apparent you know everything.

<golf clap> and the typical response by an "I am always right armchair engineer"

no your not right, I'm not "todays generation" not even close ..

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
<golf clap> and the typical response by an "I am always right armchair engineer"

no your not right, I'm not "todays generation" not even close ..

and the typical response by the 'I'm gonna do what I want no matter what generation'......

hmmm....30+ years in engineering...but I only 'armchair"....gotcha boss

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just use good old commen sense. The manual is a decent guideline!
Check ALL fluid levels.
Most importantly probably your tire pressure would be the main thing I would look at and check.

Be very aware of other drivers around you.
Due to most will not be very courteous to you! Today's generation of your average every day drivers have no clue what common courtesy is.

Good luck on your Quest! "SOME" good advice above.

Last edited: