fixing camper sway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
my 2016 2500 handled my slide in camper great when it was stock with the addition of rear sumo springs. after leveling the front with the rc steel spacer kit the camper now sways side to side pretty bad.

I'm wondering if i should add airbags instead of the sumo springs to relevel, but think i will still have sway with this setup. I've thought about rancho 9000 shocks also. what to do?

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
what kind of tires and tire pressures are you running?

What kind of weight is the camper at?

Air bags can help but i'm not fond of them installed with a level kit. I say this as with the level you dont let the truck squat at all to accept any of the weight on to the springs of the truck in the rear. Youll have the air bags supporting virtually all of the weight. The air bags are installed on the inboard side of the springs of the truck...

All it all, i've been there and done it... wasn't a fan of it... It worked, but not ideal.

OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
the airlift kit for the new hd's are on the outside of the springs, so thats a plus. thinking i should try the shocks first, or god forbid, remove my level.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
By inboard the springs, i mean they are installed closer to the center of the truck not inside the center of the springs.

At least i think that is the case still.

With them being inboard you are now supporting the weight with a more narrow platform vs the wider platform of where the springs were...

I'd still looking into your tires and tire pressures. I tend to believe that is more of the issue than anything else, especially knowing your truck is as new as it is.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Wonder if the angle adjustment of the truck & camper has changed the aerodynamics creating a draft causing the camper sway in the rear?

Would not think a 2" rise in the front would cause that, but I guess you never know and that is all you changed, right???....You did not change how you load your camper i.e. more water, different gear, gear in a different spot, etc....

OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Only change was the level kit.

Tire are rated to 3640 lbs e load run at 80psi in rear when hauling

And the airbags would be on the outward side of the springs, as in closer to the tires

Last edited:

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am pulling a Jayco 26BH with my truck that's lifted 6 inches. I use a weight distribution set up and don't have any issues before or after lift install. Even blowing by semis on the highway don't rock it. Nor if they blow by me. Are you using a Weight Distribution Hitch???

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
its a slide in camper....so goes in the back of the bed, no hitch.
Which makes the issue want to scratch your head even more.

OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think new shocks will fix it, it's just now convincing my wife that I need to spend another $200 verses removing the level

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I think new shocks will fix it, it's just now convincing my wife that I need to spend another $200 verses removing the level

Our trucks are engineered for the best all around use of the suspension. When we mess with the engineering (I have with two rams) we may improve on one aspect and screw up others. I have tried shocks, air bags, and new springs and always gave up more driveability than I gained.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am pulling a Jayco 26BH with my truck that's lifted 6 inches. I use a weight distribution set up and don't have any issues before or after lift install. Even blowing by semis on the highway don't rock it. Nor if they blow by me. Are you using a Weight Distribution Hitch???

get this

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It's a truck slide in camper, not a trailer

I apologize. For that.... Id try helper springs instead of airbags. But iv never used a slide in camper.

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wonder why air lift does not make air bags for inner rear spring like the 1500? Or does the 1500 fit in the 2500 coils?

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By inboard the springs, i mean they are installed closer to the center of the truck not inside the center of the springs.

At least i think that is the case still.

With them being inboard you are now supporting the weight with a more narrow platform vs the wider platform of where the springs were...

I'd still looking into your tires and tire pressures. I tend to believe that is more of the issue than anything else, especially knowing your truck is as new as it is.
On the 2500 with coils the airbags replace the bump stops, outboard of the springs, on the frame rail. The coils on the 2500 are inboard of the frame rails.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Yup my bad... complete brain fart, the 4th gen went outboard while the 3rd gens were inboard...

Air bags may help, but the over all issue i feel your seeing is weighting being taken off the front suspension causing the sway...

If you're running 80 psi in the front as well trying dropping down quite a bit from that and seeing if that helps. If your tire is over inflated the center patch of the tire is all that is touching the pavement vs the whole tread pattern.

OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
well i just ordered the rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks for the rear only.

i agree its a matter of weight distribution, but just moving a small"ish" amount of weight from front to rear has caused the sway, has shown me the rear shocks were on the edge of not being sufficient for my camper. we will see if the rancho's fix it.

wicked4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well i just ordered the rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks for the rear only.

i agree its a matter of weight distribution, but just moving a small"ish" amount of weight from front to rear has caused the sway, has shown me the rear shocks were on the edge of not being sufficient for my camper. we will see if the rancho's fix it.

You never followed up to give your feedback on the RS9000's. Did it help? Do you like/recommend those shocks?