FYI on Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe everyone knows this but me but I just found out Ram rear springs are side specific. While switching out the stocks for some tuff truck springs and then re-installing the stocks to make my ocd happy I was making the right decision I noticed the little more than a inch difference in length of the drivers side over the passenger. So to be sure checked and they have different part numbers, called dealer to confirm and they said yes driver is longer to compensate for added left side weight of battery and fuel tank. So if you have them out for some reason make sure to put them back in right... your truck will lean left if not don't ask how I know :crazy: I did not ask the dealer but fronts might be like this too.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Too funny..... that must have been quite a lean since you would be both lifting the one side and dropping the other. I never would have imagined.

OP
OP
RodRam

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
about 2'' difference

OP
OP
RodRam

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am waiting for your report on the oem vs ttc1210 vs ttc1223v before I order mine for my Ram 1500

I will post it today in other topic and link it below for anyone who wants to follow both topics, but this is basically it ; I learned something else I didn't notice before my factory springs are variable rate same as the 1223v and after testing both again back to back they ride the same except the 1223v is stiffer as it should be, my issue is since I don't haul a lot of loads and run empty except for the truck cap with the 1223v I feel every dimple in the road and bumps are more harsh. I loaded 480lbs of brick in the bed and it hardly dropped at all maybe 1/2'' so they can handle a load, it drove ok too, I could tell it was there but it handled fine. the 1210 rode a little softer than the 1223v, but didn't have the cushy feel of stock but these are not variable they are standard type springs and although tuff truck says truck will be factory ride height it was not ,it was some what higher as I could tell by the angle of the hood and how my headlights pointed lower. I did not retry these as I pulled them back out the first time happy with all but the ride height and thought about cutting a coil off to get it where I wanted but due to the spring end design you can not cut a coil and have it line up flat in the frame, so in conclusion these are both good springs but neither fit my needs and at present I will be putting the stock ones back in. TT does sell a 1210 type spring (25%+) in a 2'' drop but its double the price. other topic about this; http://www.ramforum.com/f119/stiffer_rear_shocks_w_camper_top-82585/index4.html#post1266872

Last edited:
OP
OP
RodRam

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I see they fixed the "Dodge lean", I have it and it drives me crazy.

yes factory driver side rear is longer than passenger, I did check fronts and they carry the same part number so only different on the rear.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I will post it today in other topic and link it below for anyone who wants to follow both topics, but this is basically it ; I learned something else I didn't notice before my factory springs are variable rate same as the 1223v and after testing both again back to back they ride the same except the 1223v is stiffer as it should be, my issue is since I don't haul a lot of loads and run empty except for the truck cap with the 1223v I feel every dimple in the road and bumps are more harsh. I loaded 480lbs of brick in the bed and it hardly dropped at all maybe 1/2'' so they can handle a load, it drove ok too, I could tell it was there but it handled fine. the 1210 rode a little softer than the 1223v, but didn't have the cushy feel of stock but these are not variable they are standard type springs and although tuff truck says truck will be factory ride height it was not ,it was some what higher as I could tell by the angle of the hood and how my headlights pointed lower. I did not retry these as I pulled them back out the first time happy with all but the ride height and thought about cutting a coil off to get it where I wanted but due to the spring end design you can not cut a coil and have it line up flat in the frame, so in conclusion these are both good springs but neither fit my needs and at present I will be putting the stock ones back in. TT does sell a 1210 type spring (25%+) in a 2'' drop but its double the price. other topic about this; http://www.ramforum.com/f119/stiffer_rear_shocks_w_camper_top-82585/index4.html#post1266872

I threw my stock ones, away.

There is a about 1" of height difference, on the truck, due to weight. Does not bother me, if it bothers you, add a rear spacer to that side.

OEM are not Variable rate. Coils are evenly spaced. Variable rated coils are not evenly spaced.

OP
OP
RodRam

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I threw my stock ones, away.

There is a about 1" of height difference, on the truck, due to weight. Does not bother me, if it bothers you, add a rear spacer to that side.

OEM are not Variable rate. Coils are evenly spaced. Variable rated coils are not evenly spaced.
Mine are variable not sure if all 2015 CC have them but mine does 4 tight coils at top them even spaced to bottom.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Mine are variable not sure if all 2015 CC have them but mine does 4 tight coils at top them even spaced to bottom.

Stand corrected, got part numbers?
I would like to look those up.

COuld be Ram finally got tired of all teh complaints.

OP
OP
RodRam

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stand corrected, got part numbers?
I would like to look those up.

COuld be Ram finally got tired of all teh complaints.

I should of took pics while they were out but here is the part # from the tags that were on them I wrote down and here is a ram rearend pic its for a 2500 but it has the same type variable springs as mine. 05154646aa & 05154647aa

gettin10.jpg

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just looked at my 2016 and the coils top to bottom are spaced equally

And I was waiting to hear your results of all that spring testing you've been up to. I'll bet your pretty fast at it by now

OP
OP
RodRam

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I dont know why they have dofferent types but mine are variable like the pic i posted my full report on speings is in the topic about changing shocks after adding bed cap if u search it