Going to detune for towing this weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
Well I spent a buttload of money making my truck haul ass and then my wife decides she wants a camper (which is fine with me I like camping).
I already pulled my 25FT camper a couple of weeks ago and my current set up worked as long as you didn't mind it screaming at 3100RPM's up ever hill( it was like hooking your prize race horse up to a plow, it worked but not real well).
I am going to remove the shorty headers and the larger fuel injector this weekend (I noticed a considerable drop in bottom end torque when I installed them last summer) then I'm having the 3000 stall converter taken back out (it's a lot of fun but doesn't work for crap hauling a camper), I think I will also try the 89 octantal tune from HemiFever instead of the 91 octane tune.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Why did you install larger injectors? I see nothing in your mod line that would even come close to needing larger injectors. The shorty headers won't make any difference when towing compared to the stock log manifolds, it's your 3000 stall converter that's killing you and that's the first thing I'd tell you to swap out before you pull anything else; go back to a stock converter and see how it behaves after that with a towing tune.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Why did you install larger injectors? I see nothing in your mod line that would even come close to needing larger injectors. The shorty headers won't make any difference when towing compared to the stock log manifolds, it's your 3000 stall converter that's killing you and that's the first thing I'd tell you to swap out before you pull anything else; go back to a stock converter and see how it behaves after that with a towing tune.

I agree start with the converter everything else should help you.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leave the shorty headers & throttle body on it. Those will help, not hurt your towing. Like said, pull the converter. Thats where the problem is

OP
OP
jag1886

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I hate to tell you guys but I pulled the headers and the throttle body and changed from the 91 octane HF tune to the 89 octane HF tune and all the bottom end torque is back, it's completely different truck now.
Mid range and top end HP parts are not what you need to drag a trailer up mountains. It has also gained a couple of miles per gallon.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3100 rpms doesn't seem very high for pulling a hill.