Heads Up Guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Just an FYI today I was doing a test load of my ATV trailer for a trip I'm going on in a week and noticed my receiver hitch was flexing down.

I look under the truck and find that the beads for the welds are basically all broken off and had I not done this, it would've definitely broke on the trip and my trailer with about $12k of gear would be a lost cause off in a ditch somewhere.

I have the OEM receiver and I cannot believe they have such horrible welding on it. What's even more worrying is I have never towed anything close to max capacity which I know would've sheared it right off.

It's a bad picture but you can easily see where the boogered AF welds broke and started rusting... here in Texas.
IMG_6100_zpst2hbdjlt.jpg

Time to have a friend weld the **** out of it for me. Hopefully no one else has this problem

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up and sorry for your troubles.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Wow, that suck let us know the outcome?

OP
OP
C

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
i definitely will. Hopefully tomorrow it will get cleaned up real good and nice solid beads laid down instead of that heaping mess

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^ +1

need to go check mine now

OP
OP
C

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I would be so mad lol

Just dropped it off with my friend. He's gonna drop the hitch completely, clean it up, bend it back straight, then weld the hell out of it. I would stay but I gotta go into the office for work today.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just to be clear. the piece of steel on the left (that the welds remain on it after the break) is the receiver tube itself that you slide the ball mount into?

Reactions: SyN

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy ugly weld Batman.... even a Cat can weld better than that. I'm curious if you owned the truck since new or bought used? If you bought new that must have been the bring your kid to work day and the kid was doing the work.... Horrible!

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm interested in where exactly this is on the hitch as well...

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Great Job finding This! You could have possibly just saved a handful of lives just by taking the time to inspect.

I will for sure be doing this inspection every time before I hook up the TT during the summer months.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Now were is that member on this forum that is part of Rams customer service or something? I think the avatar is like a white ram emblem or something.

OP
OP
C

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Just went and got my truck and it's much better now.

To clear up some things:
Truck is a 2012
I bought it used over a year ago with only 15k miles on it. I do know it is the OEM hitch.
Yes this is for the receiver tube itself so if it were to shear off like it wanted to, the chains and everything would've went with it

I'm quite happy with it now though. Here's the new welds on the same side as the other picture.
IMG_6106_zpsa3led03z.jpg

And this is what I'm talking about. The whole piece that has the actual receiver and chain mounts
IMG_6105_zpsvp8xkwdk.jpg

Hopefully no one else has the same problem as me! It's also hard to get pictures at that angle so don't make fun of my picture taking skills. Also not seen is he did weld all the way up the sides and the back as well. So hopefully it is now stronger than it was supposed to be from factory.

OP
OP
C

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I'm going to have to crawl under mine once I leave the office and see if its the same.

I definitely would. I just tried loading the trailer onto it again. The F@#*ing thing is still flexing. But I have an idea now

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if the original owner did some "enhancement" to it thinking they knew what they were doing?