Heads Up Guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I definitely would. I just tried loading the trailer onto it again. The F@#*ing thing is still flexing. But I have an idea now

Steel flexes a lot. Somtimes its better that way. If all the welds are sufficant its fine.

OP
OP
C

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
the previous owner did do some sketchy things on the rest of the truck I'm finding lol

I do realize steel flexes a lot but this was unsafe at how much it was flexing.

So I managed to fix the rest of the flex. Getting it welded helped a lot. Nothing but a good ole 5/8 x 4 grade 8 bolt.

Before
IMG_6107_zpssvnvwwki.jpg

After
IMG_6109_zpsf1ycmh5k.jpg

And no more flex at all
IMG_6111_zps061fcjge.jpg

OP
OP
C

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I know it may not look the best, but when I'm not towing I can easily remove that bolt.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's not a good mod, 2 pin holes.
That would make me take it off and replace with new.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You sure that's a factory hitch ?

Mine doesn't have 2 holes for the pin, and the top bracket that goes under the bumper is different. The top plate on mine is hard against the bumper, not spaced away like yours is.

I would take the 2 outer bolts down thru the bracket also.

Do you have a stock bumper or aftermarket ?

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd don't believe I've ever seen a hitch manufactured with 2 hitch pin holes. That to me is someone's tampering to get tailgate clearance on a tongue Jack. The wrong way to accomplish it if that's what was done.

OP
OP
C

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Oh the two alan head bolts are part of the mounting for the rear bumper I have. It came with the Magnum bumper. I've thought about drilling the bracket out to make those two go through it though.

If it's not the stock one then at some point it was replaced with one that is very similar. On my build sheet I have the trailer brake package and 7-pin wiring with the receiver hitch.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You sure that's a factory hitch ?

Mine doesn't have 2 holes for the pin, and the top bracket that goes under the bumper is different. The top plate on mine is hard against the bumper, not spaced away like yours is.

I would take the 2 outer bolts down thru the bracket also.

Do you have a stock bumper or aftermarket ?

I'd don't believe I've ever seen a hitch manufactured with 2 hitch pin holes. That to me is someone's tampering to get tailgate clearance on a tongue Jack. The wrong way to accomplish it if that's what was done.

My '10 and/or my '12 had the 2 different holes for the hitch pin. Both trucks had the factory hitch installed when built.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I googled it. There is a reason for 2 holes but one should be smaller diameter for a "j" hook anti rattle.
I never seen it before. I can see if the j is used it would be safe. I wouldn't use the outside hole as a regular hitch pin hole. If I had it I'd always use the j pin.
I currently have a 12 with factory tow no second hole.

OP
OP
C

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
ya I've never used or even payed attention to the second hole. All I know is at some point if I have trouble with this again, I'm going to be replacing the hitch completely

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I put a Curt class V hitch over an OEM hitch on my 1500 due to my own OCD issues. The Curt attaches directly to the frame rails. Now this thread just acts as an enabler....

This is some scary sheet! I gotta go check my 2500, it has the OEM hitch mount.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I put a Curt class V hitch over an OEM hitch on my 1500 due to my own OCD issues. The Curt attaches directly to the frame rails. Now this thread just acts as an enabler....

This is some scary sheet! I gotta go check my 2500, it has the OEM hitch mount.

If the curt attaches directly to the frame rails ( via bolts I assume) how does the OEM attache to the frame? cant think of any other way than bolting directly to the frame.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, that doesn't look like the factory hit to me. Probably an aftermarket unit made to be similar.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Umm, everybody knows right (?) that OEM isn't just made by manufacturer of a vehicle.
I do not know who currently makes the hitches. I think it use to be Reese. Just like some of the radios branded as "MOPAR" were made by Sony. Most likely the hitches are made for MOPAR by another manufacturer to FCA spec's.

OP
OP
C

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Umm, everybody knows right (?) that OEM isn't just made by manufacturer of a vehicle.
I do not know who currently makes the hitches. I think it use to be Reese. Just like some of the radios branded as "MOPAR" were made by Sony. Most likely the hitches are made for MOPAR by another manufacturer to FCA spec's.

Right or whoever can give them the best price