heavy load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadparrot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Cant seem to find the thread where we are all talking about loads on our Rams but I wanted to share my first full load of cattle yesterday with you all since I see a lot of people asking what these trucks can do.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD with manual transmission. 24 foot aluminum gooseneck Wilson stock trailer. Only mods is a S&B CAI and Bullydog GT tuner set at tow.

Trailer weighs right at 5700 empty.
Just over 12000 lb of standing weight (10 steers). Never loaded 10 on this truck as 8 is about all I like to squeeze into the trailer. With the cut gate I was able to get the last two in and actually they were not all that crammed in there. Had to haul 20 so this made three trips into just two.

Never felt like I needed more power by any means. Trailer has very nice breaks so breaking was no issue. Even with being slightly over the rated numbers for trailer id make this haul any day on any road. Most of the trip is hilly with long slow grades up at several locations. Truck kept her at 55 all the way there. Yard is gravel with step incline you go up to get straight on dock, no issue at all.

Average mpg was right at 10 so cant complain at all with that. Ride felt solid and very little sway. I was loaded correctly and the trailer is nice so that helped the truck out im sure. The picture shows how the truck sat prior to being unloaded. Keep in mind my truck has a level kit so that affects how the truck sits a bit.

Cheers
picture.php

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like a well set up tow!

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very nice.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Man I love seeing these truck work, awesome.

OP
OP
D

deadparrot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks guys. Yea thats why I posted it. Im guilty just as much as everyone of posting the post wash pictures where the trucks look great and new, but in my opinion I like the work pictures better. I realized all I had was "pretty" pictures of the truck and figured that had to change. So when all I could do is hear cows, see cows, and smell cow **** I figured I must be in a work environment LOL

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Very nice

My heaviest load on my truck has been just over 21k lbs on my 30 foot Big-Tex 22GN trailer with a John Deere Back Hoe on it. Handles it very well but I am in Dually territory and will be upgrading upon my next truck.
Hardly squats it too, very impressed with this coil suspension.

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gee no weight police ( roll eyes) I guess that's reserved for RV towing ,glad to see you kept it safe & sane

OP
OP
D

deadparrot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Oh we have the weight police here. They focus on the big boys hauling grain. Besides, I wasnt that over weight.... :naughty: