Help with connecting a Ram LED Hitch Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monkeyluva8469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi V8
I purchased a Ram LED hitch cover for my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn recently and I'm having an issue with connecting it. The hitch cover can be found here: Ram LED Brake and Tail Light Trailer Hitch Cover - 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches Reese Hitch Covers 86066

First I'm looking for a way to keep the cable hidden underneath but my issue is that the cable isn't long enough to reach the vehicle plug, which is to the left of my license plate, and I don't want a cable just hanging there.

I purchased a 4 wire flat adapter with vampire clips but I am at a lost in getting it connected and keeping it free from water and everything else that comes its way. http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.c...s/4-wire-flat/12_4-wire_flat_vehicle_end.html

Has anyone set one of these up? Or does anyone have an idea on what I can do? Any help would be appreciated.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did this not help?
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/doc/48005.pdf
You may well still have to run some wire from each tail light to the flat adapter in order to reach.

For keeping water/corrosion out I would strongly suggest ditching the crappy connectors that come with it, and soldering/heatshrinking. You will never lose a connection due to poor blade contact or corrosion if you solder/heatshrink.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
OP
OP
monkeyluva8469

monkeyluva8469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi V8
I appreciate it. My biggest concern was keeping the elements out of it and those connectors didn't give me too much comfort.

Did this not help?
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/doc/48005.pdf
You may well still have to run some wire from each tail light to the flat adapter in order to reach.

For keeping water/corrosion out I would strongly suggest ditching the crappy connectors that come with it, and soldering/heatshrinking. You will never lose a connection due to poor blade contact or corrosion if you solder/heatshrink.

musclecar_69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one of those, too but haven't hooked it up yet. Mine seems to have enough wire to run to the top of the bumper and back into the plug but I don't want (1) the wire hanging where it can be seen (2) my 4 way plugs exposed all the time and (3) mine hooks into the right tail/turn/brake green wire. This would cause it to surely blink when I turn on the blinker. So, what I'm gonna do is splice into the harness on the tail light feed (usually brown) wire and put in a weather tight plug so that I can run it through the hitch and plug in just forward of it. Like audio1der said as long as you solder and heatshrink your connections you won't have any problems. Ill