Hitch receiver help!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Im shopping for a hitch receiver for my truck as it didnt come with one. Im in no rush as I dont pull anything that often. Just a trailer a few times a year to haul the atv. Anyone have advice on one? I was looking at the curt class 3 round receiver..that one any good? Thanks in advance!

here is a link
2009-2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Curt Receiver Hitch - Curt 13374

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
What's the difference between those and the bigger ones like the one I posted? Are they both just as durable?

Bergerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've got the one like earlzach said and have pulled a lot with it without any trouble. Pulled a car hauler with a f250 on it and it did great.

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im shopping for a hitch receiver for my truck as it didnt come with one. Im in no rush as I dont pull anything that often. Just a trailer a few times a year to haul the atv. Anyone have advice on one? I was looking at the curt class 3 round receiver..that one any good? Thanks in advance!

here is a link
2009-2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Curt Receiver Hitch - Curt 13374

Under your bumper you already are class III. Add the one I showed you. You will rip your truck in half before it fails.

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Learn something new everyday lol..I'll go the route you showed me, thanks

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I would have bought the class lV. I have the other and may be purchasing a trailer that is 6000lbs. Piece of mind. I say plan for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check Craigslist too. I got a Curt 13333 used from a guy around me for $30. I had to buy the spacers, but that was it. I installed it in 20 minutes.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
honestly if you have to buy one go class 4. the price shouldn't be much different so there's really not much point going smaller

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why would you buy a class III on a truck which can pull items rated for a class IV? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Buddy/neighbor: "Hey- can you help me tow my *** to the beach for the long weekend?"
You: "Sorry, my hitch can't accommodate that. I can only tow Class III pansy stuff because I wanted to save a few bucks"
Him: "Doesn't your truck have a Hemi?"
You: "Yeah, but I saved a few bucks on my hitch"

OP
OP
GlOcKnRaM

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I have no clue lol..that's why I'm asking. I'm not sure which route to go

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer gave me mine as part of the deal. Go class lV and save your money in the long run. That amazon price is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure the Class IV bracket is already installed between the spare tire. Adding the Class III hitch would essential convert it into a Class IV correct?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure the Class IV bracket is already installed between the spare tire. Adding the Class III hitch would essential convert it into a Class IV correct?

Doesn't every piece need to be class IV? A chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you look at the pics of each piece, the Class IV is the brace that is already installed and has the Class III welded on.

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you look at the pics of each piece, the Class IV is the brace that is already installed and has the Class III welded on.

I believe you are correct for those years the truck is a class 3 at the bumper hitch. Adding the receiver makes it class 5 thats what I was told and it might have been in my manual as a class 3 as well.

I think he is being asked to buy more than he will ever need. Just my opinion.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I feel when you are talking towing it always nice to get bigger than you think you will need. It has a couple benefits if you all of sudden need more or change your mind on how large of things you will tow you are already ready. It also is nice to not max things out. If you only tow things around 10k but hitch is rated for 12k then you have some built in safety and comfort knowing the hitch will never fail unless do something crazy. I would as others have said never get a class 3 on a Ram that is meant for van or something that can't exceed max rating of it. Go big or go home becomes go big and make it home when it comes to proper hitches.