Hopkins electric brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 dodge 2500,

the truck came with a pigtail connector with 4 wires to plug underneath the dash for a brake controller.

I bought a hopkins electric brake controller, and it has a connector on the end,

can I just cut that connector off the hopkins unit and wire it into the dodge pigtail, right?

the truck doesnt have to be programmed for the controller or anything?

I was thinking I could just cut/solder and be done. hope its nothing complicated.

IdahoLonghorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I believe the dealer will have to update your computer to take the factory controller offline, otherwise you are in for a lot of error messages. I could be wrong.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Shouldn't need to be programmed. I can't guarantee that but if you have a pig tail that plugs under the dash and has 4 wires ready to be spliced you should be good to go. I have a 2010 and I bought the harness that had the Dodge end on one side and the controller on the other. So mine was a true plug and play. We did what your talking about to my bosses 2015 GMC. My only advice to you would be to make sure your brake controller is a progressive not a time delayed. It's more reliable braking IMO, they are a little more pricey but worth it for smoother braking.

OP
OP
R

R4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
brake box

Shouldn't need to be programmed. I can't guarantee that but if you have a pig tail that plugs under the dash and has 4 wires ready to be spliced you should be good to go. I have a 2010 and I bought the harness that had the Dodge end on one side and the controller on the other. So mine was a true plug and play. We did what your talking about to my bosses 2015 GMC. My only advice to you would be to make sure your brake controller is a progressive not a time delayed. It's more reliable braking IMO, they are a little more pricey but worth it for smoother braking.

will it say on the brake controller wither its time delayed?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your using an aftermarket brake controller, no programming needed.
IIRC from someone else on this forum, if you do have the factory brake controller, you can unplug just the four wire plug from the ITBM and use that for the aftermarket controller. You'll get codes when the ten wire plugged is pulled.

OP
OP
R

R4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well its a timed controlled kind,

but I think the other kind of brake box you have to have another switch on the trailer right,? like a inertia switch or something,

we have more than one trailer, dont think the other kind of brake box would work for us.

I ended up getting the wiring harness, that didnt come with the hopkins brake box, just in case something went wrong with the brake box, I could take it back, they probably wouldn't take it back, if I cut and spliced into it.

it works, no programming needed, thanks for the information.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No the inertia stuff is in the control unit, don't need anything in the trailer except working electric brakes. Trailers with surge brakes don't need or use controllers.

Good to hear it worked out for you.