Hot Shot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Anyone on here use there Ram 3500 dually for a hot shot business? Looking at potentially going that route and wondering if anyone one had experience and how the truck did. I am still in the research phase and not loyal to any company so just wondering.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never used one but seen many of them out there, I see more dodges then chebbys and fords doing it.

are you looking to use your truck or buy one to get into it? If a purchase look into a cab and chassi, that way you can haul more weight. Also depending on the state you are licensed through you may require a CDL. In cali a class c with trailer requires one. just some things to think about. Oh and don't forget the business insurance....

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am class A licensed already. I would do a mega cab. Looking to buy. May be more selective in doing exotic car hauling. I know people that have said cars so they are asking around. So looking into that. A 2500 would work. But rather a dually and more hauling options.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Check mega cab numbers. Think I remember a few surprises in there somewhere.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well class a your good, just remember the more truck weight the less cargo weight when rolling commercial. If your only hauling one or 2 at a time then i guess it doesnt matter. But i would use a dually but thats just me, max out your options with a bix trailer that can haul 2 cars??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mesotall13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I use my truck for hotshot freight. I personally have a SRW and don't haul many cars as I just have a flatbed gooseneck trailer. The biggest problem guys run into when hauling vehicles is when they start hauling trucks, or if you are hauling 4 cars to 2 different locations. With a SRW Once you drop off the back 2 cars you should move the front 2 back to keep from overloading your drive axle. But being in a hurry you don't and dot knows to watch for this. If I was going to haul only cars and as many as you can fit per trip, I would have a 1 ton dually delete the bed and put fenders over the tires. No flat bed(to much weight). Normal cars pay about $.50 a mile per car. To make it profitable you need to make at least $1 per mile. So either 2 cars both ways or 4 cars 1 way. Also with the SRW there are many ports you don't have to stop at if your gcvw is 26k or less. I also have my dot numbers on a magnet so once I drop a load I can drive back without worrying about going over hours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 218
OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am looking at this trailer.
Complete Trailers, LLCAll In One Carhauler | Custom Steel & Aluminum Trailers

And only hauling one at a time. I am talking Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche etc. so not as worried about quantity. Doing stuff like to and from service appts, owners second homes, etc. I have some friends in the business of dealing with said cars so that may help. Still just in the research phase. I know the want is there in the area.

This is definitely a more niche market but we shall see what comes up.

I am also looking at F350 duallies. Buddy has a new one that is nice.

That is clever with the numbers. Never thought of that. I drive big truck now so I know about weight and stuff.

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a nice trailer. Sounds like you kinda have a good idea of a target market you are looking at and the ability to make that market work for a business. Not trying to downplay your ideas or plan with my suggestions or questions as I don't know the full scope of what you have planned but have you thought about a Gooseneck or 5thw wheel enclosed trailer? From my experience hauling alot of trailers long distance I much prefer a bed mount hitch over of bumper pull, especially if hauling a load such as a expensive car since I can put the trailer hitch on air ride.

We had this trailer for one of the race cars we had, granted its a little different than just the needs of a car hauler but was a great set up.
Shadow GT Gooseneck Race Car Trailers For Sale | Pace Race Car Trailers

This was the hitch system we used
https://hensleymfg.com/product/ts3-air-ride-5th-wheel-hitch/

mesotall13 had some good suggestions with the Ca numbers.

also just curious on why you want to limit yourself to just one car with your equipment? is there really not a market for multi car drops or dropping a car and not deadheading home but picking up a second drop along the way? Just having that flexibilty may open more doors to more income and if your putting out the expense for equipment would you not want to have as many options available for a return on those investments? Again not down playing your plan just some questions and suggestions.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not a problem. More questions make me think more which helps.

Right now the bumper pull due to the trailer style I wanted with the opening side. With the weight I would not be too worried since the all aluminum trailer and super car are pretty light, add a stability hitch and I think it would be good.

That trailer is a 28' trailer, so 2 cars may be an option should the need or want arise length depending.

I am completely with you on the gooseneck, fifth wheel idea. I to prefer that style, also helps turning radius and what not. If I went with a fifth wheel style, I would probably do,living quarters also for longer drives.

That trailer I linked, with minor options, floor tracks, ramp extender for lower angle, etc was $33k. I know there are cheaper trailers, but this one has grabbed my attention due to the opening side and quality. There staff is also super great.

But I bet i could ask them to do that same set up on one of there gooseneck trailers. Just be very pricey I bet.

What was the rough price range for that trailer you linked?

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Check mega cab numbers. Think I remember a few surprises in there somewhere.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Mega cab dually tow capacity is 30,000lbs. More then enough considering vehicle would be 26k licensed more then likely.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a problem. More questions make me think more which helps
What was the rough price range for that trailer you linked?

Not sure on the price, the Farm I was working with at the time bought it.. He wasn't afraid to spend money.. He bought Kenny Bernstiens whole set up for $700k when we switched from Top alch funny car to Nitro Funny and Nitro Nostalgia. The one I posted hauled the Nostalgia car.

Also that trailer has the option to have the side wall open like that the bumper pull you posted, The one we had didn't have that option though.

Oh and I just remembered we had a featherlite all alum bumper pull tandom axle at 28'... That think tater's my 07 CTD, Lots of tongue weight. Still pulled well though.

I do know there are alot of places that could convert part of the trailer to a living quarters trailer with cargo for 1 car.... alot of options. Have you thought about picking up a used race car trailer and wrapping it to make it look good for business?

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not at this time. Size is something I am still playing with. I want a nice size trailer, but still be able to maneuver decently well to pick up and deliver the cars at homes if need be, or the dealership, etc.

I emailed that company I was looking at about a goose neck with that side door design. They can also add living quarters should I want.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If this is going to be your full time gig I suggest going to the drw. For couple reasons. 1 added stability, 2 room to grow, and 3 if you have a rear blow out your not going to be in as much trouble and you can pull it off and keep going if need be. Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If this is going to be your full time gig I suggest going to the drw. For couple reasons. 1 added stability, 2 room to grow, and 3 if you have a rear blow out your not going to be in as much trouble and you can pull it off and keep going if need be. Just my thoughts.

Oh my plan has always been DRW. For all the reasons you said. Especially the room to grow. I would rather be able to tow with ease and not maxing a truck.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So to make that trailer a gooseneck is only $3k more, which is not bad at all considering.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So to make that trailer a gooseneck is only $3k more, which is not bad at all considering.

Not at all, just remember the Hitch cost into that so basic 600-1000, if you do a air hitch, which I highly recommend they are 1000-5000.

I have also read about Bed conversions to the set on a megacab... not much room to stretch our but still an option.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That was actually the reason behind looking at a mega. I would plan to charge enough for hotels need be. But never know.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to me that you have alot of good stuff thought out and pretty reasonable and know what your getting into... I think you have a pretty good plan going.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Trying to. The pricing is the big part and how to start off and earn trust.

And I lied. The gooseneck, 36' trailer, custom built to my specs including ramp angles and built to the truck is quite a bit more money lol. That is with cabinets inside and other options too. Decent chunk of change, but the company seems very legit and super informative. Just have to see what all plays out.

Insurance stuff is next to see how much that will hurt.

Last edited:

mesotall13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
thats a nice trailer, but at 33k I'd have to start charging a dollar more a mile to be able to afford that and $3 a mile, no one wants to pay that!