Hot Shot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think his target market is high end luxory cars, most of which owners would not ship in a small cargo or open trailer. Most of these kind of collectors us a company like reliable that has rigs that cost $500k, even though it hauls many cars at once they are not cheap. Im not 100% sure as i dont know the market of hotshots but the client he is looking to have $3 a mile isnt crazy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
do not know any combo of cars ie 2 that will fit in a 28 footer. Good luck with the endeavour.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think his target market is high end luxory cars, most of which owners would not ship in a small cargo or open trailer. Most of these kind of collectors us a company like reliable that has rigs that cost $500k, even though it hauls many cars at once they are not cheap. Im not 100% sure as i dont know the market of hotshots but the client he is looking to have $3 a mile isnt crazy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You are correct as I said in a previous post. My target is not mom and pop with their daughters explorer. My clients are the ones that own a Ferrari or the likes. Most of those cars in our areas go to Denver or Chicago for service and maintenance. We do not have a local dealership, but we have a huge car scene like those.

Also, I am not worried about quantity of cars hauled. My goal is more exclusivity. Where your car will be the only one I touch on that given trip and gets all my attention. The big guys can take 2-4 weeks to go coast to coast due to the fact they need to fill a whole semi trailer, I can do it way under that. Also being centrally located in KC helps also.

32k was the old trailer I had quoted. I just changed to a 36' gooseneck with the same door set up and interior cabinets for stuff, the usable floor is still about 28'. But that trailer is 40k.

Again, this is not targeted at the average persons cavalier, but the high end car guy.

While I haven't thought too much into pricing, it would be at least a couple thousand for me to go from KC to Chicago for example. But as I price more I can see more.

Insurance is what I am pricing out next.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You are correct as I said in a previous post. My target is not mom and pop with their daughters explorer. My clients are the ones that own a Ferrari or the likes. Most of those cars in our areas go to Denver or Chicago for service and maintenance. We do not have a local dealership, but we have a huge car scene like those.

Also, I am not worried about quantity of cars hauled. My goal is more exclusivity. Where your car will be the only one I touch on that given trip and gets all my attention. The big guys can take 2-4 weeks to go coast to coast due to the fact they need to fill a whole semi trailer, I can do it way under that. Also being centrally located in KC helps also.

32k was the old trailer I had quoted. I just changed to a 36' gooseneck with the same door set up and interior cabinets for stuff, the usable floor is still about 28'. But that trailer is 40k.

Again, this is not targeted at the average persons cavalier, but the high end car guy.

While I haven't thought too much into pricing, it would be at least a couple thousand for me to go from KC to Chicago for example. But as I price more I can see more.

Insurance is what I am pricing out next.

the real question is is there enough work to make this profitable? yea, your getting a good chunk of change to move 1 car, but how often are you going to be doing it? how steady is the work? cant answer that for you since we live in totally different parts of the country, but a good friend of mine runs a towing and transport business and theres more money to be made in moving more cars cheaply then moving 1 car at a premium. he does both. theres always somebody looking to move a regular car. the work is consistent. just something to consider. i wouldnt want to limit myself with only 1 trailer that carried 1 car.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That is also something else I am looking at. The actual need. I have talked with people in those circles, and the want is there, it is just determining how often.

I am also trying to work with a local high end wheel and tire shop. He already has the connections, so that would be a wealth of contacts and name recognition.

mesotall13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
A $1,000,000 commercial policy with insurance on both my truck and trailer plus 100k on cargo is 4200 a year. Insurance is a costly item. If I could find an easy way to pay by the day and only have it covering when I want it to, that would be awesome! So on my days off I'm not paying out a fortune.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
another thing to consider...you can get yourself into a used 9 car carrier for about the same, maybe even less than a brand new 3500 and youll have a bigger/faster return on your investment. the pickup is great for single car exotic transport but if thats the sole money maker...it might not be the best choice (again, all depending on how consistent the work would be in your area).

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A $1,000,000 commercial policy with insurance on both my truck and trailer plus 100k on cargo is 4200 a year. Insurance is a costly item. If I could find an easy way to pay by the day and only have it covering when I want it to, that would be awesome! So on my days off I'm not paying out a fortune.

Thank you for that. I would plan to have a lot more cargo insurance due to car value. But it is nice to see real numbers without having people blow up my phone everyday for the next year.

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
another thing to consider...you can get yourself into a used 9 car carrier for about the same, maybe even less than a brand new 3500 and youll have a bigger/faster return on your investment. the pickup is great for single car exotic transport but if thats the sole money maker...it might not be the best choice (again, all depending on how consistent the work would be in your area).

Another option I was looking at would be also getting a flatbed gooseneck for brokered loads. That is something I have thought about as well.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

There is a way, We have a few big rigs on the farm that go unused most of the year until harvest, they are only registered for those months to haul and insured at that point. but a day to day here and there isn't possible unless its one month on one off. you can select a policy to terminate after the month but if you use the equipment just once within the next month you need coverage.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another option I was looking at would be also getting a flatbed gooseneck for brokered loads. That is something I have thought about as well.

I'd do both, you can pick up gooseneck flatbeds for cheap.. We bough a 22gn Bigtex nothing fancy 25'with 5' beaver tail for $7400 Hauled all sorts with that thing.

But there was a good point made about income vs investment. I'd make a target range to where your back into the black with quantity of loads (income) per month to hit your mark and see just how practical it is. Also gives you a good baseline to set your budget for equipment and repairs while having that equipment to stay profitable.

Example, initial investment of DRW Megacab $45k, Enclosed trailer $40k Flatdeck $10k Insurance 1st year 5k misc costs $5k
So with an initial investment you will be at 105k to start your first year of operation.
To recoupe that investment you will need to run 105k miles of hauls if your cost is $1.00 per mile and you are charging $2.00 average run will prob be 1000 miles so that is roughly 100 runs, which I would say is about the max you could do with no down time per year. those numbers are all made up but gets my point across.

Me starting a business like this I would look at wanting a 3 year return on paying off my equipment, Granted you can get loans and figure all that in and interest and such but I was just laying out a simplistic idea of a plan.

It also may sound crazy but I'd also buy a nicer truck then a bottom end bare min truck. one it will have a higher resale value when the warranty is up and more comfortable to operate. and I'd convert the seat to air ride

OP
OP
D

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am with you on the truck quality. I am looking at f350 Lariats, Laramke Ram 3500, or GMC 3500 SLE with options. They are all around 65-68. If I am going to expect people to trust me with there high end cars I would expect the tow set up to be nice also. Not to mention I want to be comfortable. Plus I would rather start with a new truck.

I was also planning around 200k for everything, licensing, registration, etc. etc.

Last edited: