How long will the hemi last towing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Anyone out there tow daily? Or very very often with a

My truck... 2015 quad cab 4x4 factory brake controller. Weight distribution hitch. Everything else stock.

I'm using a 6000 pound travel trailer for work. Plus have 600 pounds in the bed of the truck. With the weight distribution hitch the trailer is perfectly level. The truck is almost level it drops about 2 inches in the back when hooked up just a little below level but not bad. The rubber stops under the trucks rear suspension are not bottomed out... Not close to it either.

I drive about 20 to 25k miles a year for work mostly highway.

I would love to see this truck paid off before buying another... I estimate about 200k miles....

I have my doubt with the trailer being towed but I have never towed anything at all before so I'm not sure....

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I'll give my two bits. I've towed some large stuff in the past but not on a regular basis. Others my have better advice than mine. I would think that is a lot of weight for day I day out towing. To keep cost down and additional expensing tamed I would give a hard look at buying a 2500 Tradesmen CTD. Not sure of your trim level currently but I'd much rather give up some interior amenities for a truck that will last much longer and haul/tow easier. Seems like most are hoping to get their 1500 hemi to 200k and trade in with just daily driving commutes let alone towing that weight for the same milage.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I'll give my two bits. I've towed some large stuff in the past but not on a regular basis. Others my have better advice than mine. I would think that is a lot of weight for day I day out towing. To keep cost down and additional expensing tamed I would give a hard look at buying a 2500 Tradesmen CTD. Not sure of your trim level currently but I'd much rather give up some interior amenities for a truck that will last much longer and haul/tow easier. Seems like most are hoping to get their 1500 hemi to 200k and trade in with just daily driving commutes let alone towing that weight for the same milage.

I've thought of that too.... A couple problems with that... I spend lots of time in my truck for work so have to have a nice interior with comfort. I have a big horn with nav heated seats premium cluster heated wheel etc... Plus I am upside down on the loan as usual when buying new.

Second the cummins needs to be plugged in at night when it's really cold... Could be an issue because a lot of times I wouldn't have a place to plug into working out of town.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With a 6K trailer and another 600 in the bed, that puts you near the GCWR of the truck for a 1500. That would be asking a lot of that truck, and if your work depends on it, I'm with Skrap and would consider a 2500 w/Cummins.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I know all about comfort. My personal is a 2500 Laramie I drive about 50 miles a week. My work truck is a 1500 SLT I drive about 25K miles per year and in and out of for 9 hours a day. It is more than good enough for my sales job in the construction industry.

Not sure where you live where it gets that cold so the other diesel guys can chime in about that benefit/requirement of preheating the CTD.

In the end, your truck may pull that weight for as long as you need to but you can probably expect to get some heavy repair bills the older the truck gets. By the time you get into the 6-figure milage you may not have much of a truck left to trade in due to wear and tear. Not trying to be negative or wishing doom and gloom on you. I'd still probably look at taking a small hit with a trade in to a 2500 diesel. Have you figured you 5.7 gas milage and the additional cost over the diesel? Your situation seems like the perfect candidate to having the additional cost of a diesel pay off much quicker than the average diesel owner.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Yea, if I would ah e known I was getting a trailer when I bought the hemi I would probably have looked into other options... I'm within all of the weights I've checked according to Rams tow chart.

I'm in New Mexico temps get below 30 at night between November and February.. I've been under the impression if you do not plug in the 6.7 it can hurt it and decrease its life.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Below 30 probably would be fine. I think it's when you get to sub zero temps that cause problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My CTD starts without issues at 30 degrees, I have never plugged it in.
However the one time I started it a 5 degrees it squalled something fierce, I never even thought about plugging it in.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
what about at colder temps? in December and January here it can get to single digits at night... if you don't plug it in during single digits isn't it pretty bad for them?

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to break a spear for the diesel.
Originally I'm from Germany and believe it, it gets cold there. The oil manufacturers sell winter diesel from October till March. Never any problems. In Europe 60-70% of all vehicles are diesel and the only problem you could get, is if the diesel parafins out, mostly in the fuel filter. That's why they all have a fuel filter heating system. I also worked long years for vw and audi, in Germany the leading diesel vehicle manufacturer. If there where problems , mostly it was lack of maintenance. As a modern diesel engine I would not hesitate to buy a Cummins if I would need it, regardless where I live.
Also, a diesel is a long distance engine and not a short distance runner. I would think, with your need, a diesel would be the right vehicle.
Btw- if there would be a problem, what would all the transfer trucks do?
I would not worry about a diesel.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of the obvious questions I would think is. What your rear end gear ratio? I would think if you have to tow max load for the truck all the time you need at least 3.92. Might even want to consider gearing it even lower than what Ram offers. Maybe look into 4.56 gears. If you are constantly putting too much load on the engine I do not think you will make your 200K without a good deal of repairs and eventual compression degradation. Make the job easier on you motor and tranny. Also make sure you change and check you rear end fluid often. Maybe even more than the severe duty chart recommends.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'ts less the engine but more the frame. The 1500 is made for just that much. the same 5.7L engine has 2000 more lb towing capacity in the 2500 even though the 2500 is heavier by it self alone. I think the frame will weaken, the wheels, hubs, rear axle, suspension, control arms, bearing and ball joints are, what goes out in steady intervals. over time. the repair cost will exceed by many times the cost what would be for a 2500.
It's a difference if it's recreational or permanent. for permanent it's just not enough truck.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Couple extra pennies. Rear end on my '14 5.7 big horn CC 4x2 made noticable complaints after 35k of regular 8k+ hauling. Not saying yours will but you may want to plan on an upgarde if you want to see that 200k.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes but in the 2500 it is a different tranny and 3.23 is not an offered gear ratio. 3.73 or 4.10. So the final drive ratio is not close to a 1500 with 8 speed and 3.23 gears. I do not agree that the frame would be an issue. However I do agree with the axle and bearings not holding up as long as they would on a truck that does not tow constantly.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't worry about plugging in a CTD unless you are going to stay in Alaska or Canada for extended periods of time. IIRC from my 2010, Cummins doesn't recommend plugging in the truck unless is 0* or below

I know that the CTD fires up MUCH better than the others when cold.........she'll fire up just fine without being plugged in unless of course it's near 0*

True story: was visiting family in Bristol, TN over Christmas and my cousin-in-law drove his Powerstroke (6.0 litre) and I of course my CTD (6.7 litre). Well, after a night really cold temps and a few inches of snow we went outside to fire up the trucks (forgot to mention they had both been sitting for 2 days, don't think it ever got above freezing). IIRC, it was about 20*, his truck was plugged in, mine was not. That poor Powerstroke sounded awful when it finally turned over and it took a few attempts. My CTD only cycled the grid heater ONCE, then fired right up without any drama. I had my truck in some pretty cold temps and never plugged it in and she always fired up..............

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
interesting. my next truck will probably be a Cummins... but id like my hemi to last as long as possible. it will be an expensive upgrade to switch to a cummins.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
interesting. my next truck will probably be a Cummins... but id like my hemi to last as long as possible. it will be an expensive upgrade to switch to a cummins.

that's exactly what kept me away from the 2500 diesel. ok- and my wife.
Because I just pull recreational and other than that driving empty 35miles one way daily, I choose the 1500. way less maintenance, wear and fuel. and like always- my wife is right. it's more economical for my situation.
But in yours, it would make sense.

strmtrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't worry about plugging in a CTD unless you are going to stay in Alaska or Canada for extended periods of time. IIRC from my 2010, Cummins doesn't recommend plugging in the truck unless is 0* or below

I know that the CTD fires up MUCH better than the others when cold.........she'll fire up just fine without being plugged in unless of course it's near 0*

True story: was visiting family in Bristol, TN over Christmas and my cousin-in-law drove his Powerstroke (6.0 litre) and I of course my CTD (6.7 litre). Well, after a night really cold temps and a few inches of snow we went outside to fire up the trucks (forgot to mention they had both been sitting for 2 days, don't think it ever got above freezing). IIRC, it was about 20*, his truck was plugged in, mine was not. That poor Powerstroke sounded awful when it finally turned over and it took a few attempts. My CTD only cycled the grid heater ONCE, then fired right up without any drama. I had my truck in some pretty cold temps and never plugged it in and she always fired up..............

This is the problem when talking about HPOP vs common rail fuel injection, 7.3s were even worse for cold starts. No modern diesel should need to be plugged in unless it is in a constant below zero environment. Plugging in is nice for warm up but I never wanted/needed to plug any of mine in. I wouldnt worry about it at all especially if buying a new cummins.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With a 6K trailer and another 600 in the bed, that puts you near the GCWR of the truck for a 1500. That would be asking a lot of that truck, and if your work depends on it, I'm with Skrap and would consider a 2500 w/Cummins.

Huh ?? 6600 is what he mentions, and the truck is rated for 9500-9900 depending on options.....Hardly close in my book.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Huh ?? 6600 is what he mentions, and the truck is rated for 9500-9900 depending on options.....Hardly close in my book.

the tow rating is just under 9k for trailer. payload is about 1400

I figure the hitch weight 10% of 6000 is 600 plus the 600 payload of work equipment. that puts me at around 1200 payload.. still a couple hundred before its considered maxed...

plus these number are kinda rounded up so there a little bit over reality just to be safe.