How much drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know that all of this depends on the height of the trailer you are pulling, but what size drop does everyone with an HD use? I don't want to use the adapter to use a 2" class 4 drawbar. From what I have found there is a 5" drop, and a 7 3/4" drop. When I towed last year I used a 2" drop on my 1500 and it worked out pretty good, it could have been a little more though.
The problem is I know that my 2500 is taller, and it won't squat at all with the loads I am putting on it, so I was thinking of going to the 5" but I still don't want it to be too tall. I wish someone made a 6" drop but I haven't seen one yet.
Thanks!

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Get the shorter one imo..its ok to be a little high in the tounge and if you ever do have a higher tounge weight you wont be too low..unless you know that will never happen thats why im dealing with the adapter for now but its nbd for me i dont tow much

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Get the shorter one imo..its ok to be a little high in the tounge and if you ever do have a higher tounge weight you wont be too low..unless you know that will never happen thats why im dealing with the adapter for now but its nbd for me i dont tow much

That's what I was leaning towards, but I just don't want to end up needing to buy one later on with more drop because I got bigger tires or something.

my dad runs a 5in drop on his truck he has a 3/4 f-250 and it works great. check this thing out I have been highly debating this because my next truck will be a HD and this way I know it'll work for my next truck Amazon.com: CURT Manufacturing 45900 Channel-Style Adjuastable Dual Ball Mount: Automotive

That is the type I want, I want one with the full 2.5" bar though. Otherwise that would be perfect.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That's what I was leaning towards, but I just don't want to end up needing to buy one later on with more drop because I got bigger tires or something.

That is the type I want, I want one with the full 2.5" bar though. Otherwise that would be perfect.

Does the new Rams come with a 2.5 reciver or did you upgrade? I know the HD Chevys do but I always thought the ram and ford HD still had the 2in.

Edit: I know this could be rigging it up a little but you can buy one of the 2-2.5 adapter sleeves and just weld (or have it welded) to the back side of the reciver bar so it doesn't rattle, or effect the structureal integerty of ball mount.

Last edited:
OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does the new Rams come with a 2.5 reciver or did you upgrade? I know the HD Chevys do but I always thought the ram and ford HD still had the 2in.

Edit: I know this could be rigging it up a little but you can buy one of the 2-2.5 adapter sleeves and just weld (or have it welded) to the back side of the reciver bar so it doesn't rattle, or effect the structureal integerty of ball mount.

Ford has come with the 2.5" receiver since 2010ish. I don't know what year ram switched but I know mine has it. It came with the reducer, but I would prefer not to use it. I don't care about a rattle I would just rather use the full sized hitch. I would rather have the adjustable hitch though and with that one I could get away with buying just one hitch, otherwise I would need one with a 2" ball and another with a 2 5/16" ball. An adjustable one that uses the full 2.5" receiver though is about double the cost, so I may just buy that one and deal with it.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ford has come with the 2.5" receiver since 2010ish. I don't know what year ram switched but I know mine has it. It came with the reducer, but I would prefer not to use it. I don't care about a rattle I would just rather use the full sized hitch. I would rather have the adjustable hitch though and with that one I could get away with buying just one hitch, otherwise I would need one with a 2" ball and another with a 2 5/16" ball. An adjustable one that uses the full 2.5" receiver though is about double the cost, so I may just buy that one and deal with it.

Yeah that 2.5 shank is crazy cost. The adjustable is rated to 14k witch is more than your truck is rated for. (if memory serves me right you have the 3.73) my boss has a 11 gmc 3/4 and it has the 2.5 and I'm not going to lie that adapter sleeve is anoying if I had one I would have to tack the sleeve to my hitch or something.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah that 2.5 shank is crazy cost. The adjustable is rated to 14k witch is more than your truck is rated for. (if memory serves me right you have the 3.73) my boss has a 11 gmc 3/4 and it has the 2.5 and I'm not going to lie that adapter sleeve is anoying if I had one I would have to tack the sleeve to my hitch or something.

Yeah, the rating doesn't worry me as much as that stupid adapter... I would be fine tacking it is but I know I would be out there cutting the tacks off because I need the full sized part of the receiver...

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Yeah, the rating doesn't worry me as much as that stupid adapter... I would be fine tacking it is but I know I would be out there cutting the tacks off because I need the full sized part of the receiver...

I ment tack it to the ball mount on the back side so it wouldn't have any affect of the structural integrty of it. I don't like welding on vehicles especially newer ones I try to bold stuff of welding is a little permanent for a new truck imo

Here in the picture just line up you hitch pin and tack it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ment tack it to the ball mount on the back side so it wouldn't have any affect of the structural integrty of it. I don't like welding on vehicles especially newer ones I try to bold stuff of welding is a little permanent for a new truck imo

Here in the picture just line up you hitch pin and tack it.

Well I ended up buying it. I think I won't end up tacking it because I don't want to buy another reducer in case I need another. If I start using it all the time I will end up doing that though.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Well I ended up buying it. I think I won't end up tacking it because I don't want to buy another reducer in case I need another. If I start using it all the time I will end up doing that though.

Awesome after you use a few times give a review. I have enough from Xmas to possibly buy myself something for the truck I have a few thing on my mind and that's one of them. My boss with the 3/4 chevy is cheep. At work we bought this nice 18ft big tex 18ft 14k gross weight equpiment trailer for the bobcat and what does he do he buys the $30 tri ball and the trailer has a adjustable hitch(bolted on pretty good) and he raises that bad boy up so it fits his 3/4 ton truck with 0 drop... Plus I have access to 5 different trailer that range from a 4x8 golf cart to that nice equipment hauler and everything in between and none of the trailer sit the same.

I had a little extra cash before Christmas and I was extremely close to buying it.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Awesome after you use a few times give a review. I have enough from Xmas to possibly buy myself something for the truck I have a few thing on my mind and that's one of them. My boss with the 3/4 chevy is cheep. At work we bought this nice 18ft big tex 18ft 14k gross weight equpiment trailer for the bobcat and what does he do he buys the $30 tri ball and the trailer has a adjustable hitch(bolted on pretty good) and he raises that bad boy up so it fits his 3/4 ton truck with 0 drop... Plus I have access to 5 different trailer that range from a 4x8 golf cart to that nice equipment hauler and everything in between and none of the trailer sit the same.

I had a little extra cash before Christmas and I was extremely close to buying it.

Hopefully I will be able to use it before next Christmas! I should be moving a trailer (which I have no idea what the trailer even is...) for my father in law next Sunday, after that I don't know when I will tow next. Currently all I have is a 14' boat (which is why I hope a 6" drop is enough) but my dad has a 17' boat and a 14' enclosed trailer that is used for ice fishing. So I have a variety of different trailers to tow. The enclosed trailer has a 2 5/16" ball which is the reason I would have needed to get a 2nd hitch anyways.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Well I recieved it a hour ago. I will say it is heavy as hell and looks like you can use it to pull down a house. Hopefully I will be able to use it this weekend.

Wow that was fast! Excited to see how you like it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn