How well will my truck tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jljbtm

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Laramie 4door v8 5.7L with 3.92 gears (I think).
We've been wanting to do some camping, 4 wheeling, traveling and a TT just became available to us that is 27'long with a GVWR of 9700. I think it's a little too much but would like to know what you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
What's your door sticker say and what is your truck licensed for?

OP
OP
jljbtm

jljbtm

Reaction score
License?

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
License?

Yeah, in most states your truck is licensed for X amount of weight. Usually on the paper that comes with the plates. Big fines for getting caught exceeding that.

OP
OP
jljbtm

jljbtm

Reaction score
The build sheet does say 3.92, but the door sticker says 6800 gvwr

OP
OP
jljbtm

jljbtm

Reaction score
My truck has non commercial plates

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its funny how that is like that, seems like the states should be more uniform on these types of laws.

I can hook up what ever I want I did not get a weight limit..lol

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
My truck has non commercial plates

Mine aren't commercial either, every state is different. The tonnage used to be listed on the paper in Iowa, I just went out and looked at the registration papers(I have several years in the glove box yet lol) and they stopped printing it on there in Iowa a few years ago(2015). It was still on my billing and online when I paid my registration.

Any time you're towing or hauling something they can make you scale just because.....If you're over on combined vehicle weight(truck and trailer), truck weight, truck license, trailer weight, trailer license or axle weight they can fine you for that infraction......

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That trailer would be too much.

My 16 is set up the same with the 8 speed and the max is like 10,500. That is not what it can comfortably pull though. If you got that trailer, I would think it would be a tail walking the dog situation.

when I drove semi I would see it all the time. Just bc the truck says it can, doesn't mean it should or can safely.

OP
OP
jljbtm

jljbtm

Reaction score
Oh that's sweet where did you find that chart!

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
And quoted from page 34/35 of the Iowa DOT truck guide http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/motorcarriers/truckguide.pdf :

"Registration weight is the tonnage declared on the license plate purchased for the vehicle and is purchased by the ton. Registration weight is sometimes referred to as license tonnage. The power unit registration must have a registration weight equal to or greater than the actual weight of the truck, trailer(s), and cargo; unless privileged to a registration weight exception. Registration weight exceptions are found in the registration weight tolerance and gross registration exceptions sections of this book.

For-hire carriers cannot claim registration weight exceptions and must always purchase registration weight equal to or greater than the gross weight of the truck, trailer(s) and cargo.

Examples: A truck-tractor/semitrailer combination with five axles and 51 feet of overall wheelbase is allowed a gross weight of 80,000 pounds, according to wheelbase Table 1 and Table 3. If this truck tractor is licensed for 40 tons (80,000 pounds), the combination may have a gross weight of 80,000 pounds. If it is licensed for 30 tons (60,000 pounds), it may only have a gross weight of 60,000 pounds, as it is limited by the license tonnage.

If a similar vehicle is licensed for 40 tons (80,000 pounds) but only has 48 feet of wheelbase and five axles, it will be allowed a maximum weight of 78,000 pounds, which is the weight limit established in the wheelbase tables."

License weight is a thing in Iowa, not sure how many other states. Better to check than be sorry.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:favorites13: Look Iowa - We get it - Ur just as fcked as California -...:roflsquared:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Op, too much trailer for a half ton truck, just my opinion. I'm pretty sure you'd be over your payload rating with that rig. What is your payload limit on the yellow door jamb sticker say?

I'd be looking at trailers in the 25' and under and 6,000 lbs GVWR and under if you want an enjoyable tow.

Does your truck have a tow package? Factory brake controller? Lots of things you need to look into. Camping is fun, but it is work, no doubt. Well worth it though. Good luck.