Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys

This is a discussion on I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Only Keystone trailers? How come? The heaviest of the 3 trailers listed is 450lbs away from your payload capacity. Add ...

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: 5.7
Only Keystone trailers? How come?

The heaviest of the 3 trailers listed is 450lbs away from your payload capacity. Add the weight of your 5th wheel hitch, mounting brackets, and you're gonna be very close to your max capacity!
Bigdaddy likes this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
novelmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 6.4
I always catch all kinds of hell for this and hesitate to open this door because of the predictable war that ensues..... BUT, with a good set of airbags your truck has the payload of a 3500. With any of those prospective trailers minimally loaded you are perfectly safe rolling down the road (definitely maxing out the 6.4 Hemi's pulling power but that's your problem ) As far as safety, you won't be overloading your axles or tires or brakes or the truck's frame so proceed as you see fit.

What will undoubtedly follow are stories of neighbor's hairdresser's uncles who know a guy that was pulled over and sent to a Turkish prison camp for being 70# over his truck's GVWR. On page 9 of this thread I'll apologize for opening this Pandora's Box.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine: 5.7
What will undoubtedly follow are stories of neighbor's hairdresser's uncles who know a guy that was pulled over and sent to a Turkish prison camp for being 70# over his truck's GVWR. On page 9 of this thread I'll apologize for opening this Pandora's Box.
I don't only like this, I love this))))))))))))))

2015 Ram 1500 Laramie,4x4,CC,short bed,5.7 Hemi,3.21 LSD,Cooper Discover AT3 275/60/20s,Flame Red,Canyon Brown/Light Frost Beige,A.R.E LSXseries fiberglass lid Weathertech front floor liners,McGard premium lug nuts,drop in K&N filter,Westin tailgate liner,32 gallon fuel tank,spray in bed liner,Dee Zee bed mat,Husky mud flaps,sunroof,2 Swing Case boxes,resonators gone,rear Rancho9000s,Zebarted,rear Hellwig7709,rear MagHytec
Markcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 6.4L
I've towed lots of heavy stuff behind mine. The problem with the 5er and a Hemi is the profile. I towed my wife's 5300 lb car on a 2700 lb trailer loaded with luggage and stuff for 400 miles back from Wyoming though mountain passes. Super easy tow with the aerodynamics of a car on the trailer. My travel trailer on the same roads and weighing about the same gets 2mpg less and struggles a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigdaddy likes this.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 6.4L Hemi
Awesome thanks guys, this is very interesting I seen some other down the street from where these guys are at that are a little less I believe that the pin weight are 1800 lbs or a little higher but less than 2000 lbs.

"SLT 4x4/Spray Bedliner/Big Horn Edition/ Step Bar/Front Tinted Windows/Bakflip Bed Cover/AMP Step bed Step/'20' Wheels/ Tailgate Assist
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I always catch all kinds of hell for this and hesitate to open this door because of the predictable war that ensues..... BUT, with a good set of airbags your truck has the payload of a 3500. With any of those prospective trailers minimally loaded you are perfectly safe rolling down the road (definitely maxing out the 6.4 Hemi's pulling power but that's your problem ) As far as safety, you won't be overloading your axles or tires or brakes or the truck's frame so proceed as you see fit.

Firestone air bag are on the way but giving some thought I might go with something else that is a little less.

"SLT 4x4/Spray Bedliner/Big Horn Edition/ Step Bar/Front Tinted Windows/Bakflip Bed Cover/AMP Step bed Step/'20' Wheels/ Tailgate Assist
Old 12-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Name: NOYB

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Cummins 6.7
Default I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys
Love my Firestone Ride-Rite bags. Have had them on my last 2 trucks. Not much of a need for them in my 2500 but they do smooth out the ride a little. In my 1500 Mega Cab more than once I aired them up to haul a pallet of pellets (2k lbs) home from Lowes. Truck rode perfectly level and handled great. The day I purchased my 5'er I ordered a set of bags for this truck whether I needed them or not.
Bigdaddy likes this.

2013 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4x4

Last edited by Mega-Hemi; 12-30-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Mega-Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Ram Year: I Am Currently Truck Shopping!
Engine: Who Knows?
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post

Oh so damn true. The ratings are conservative and if you are a few hundred pounds over you won't hurt the truck but there are some insurance and liability issues to consider.
Bigdaddy likes this.

MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Mega-Hemi View Post
Love my Firestone Ride-Rite bags. Have had them on my last 2 trucks. Not much of a need for them in my 2500 but they do smooth out the ride a little. In my 1500 Mega Cab more than once I aired them up to haul a pallet of pellets (2k lbs) home from Lowes. Truck rode perfectly level and handled great. The day I purchased my 5'er I ordered a set of bags for this truck whether I needed them or not.

I got them in today, I have one question do you have to take the tires off or can I just maybe let down my spare and go from their? Oh yeah also do you have one or two air fitting to fill them up? Thank you for your reply or whoever answer this.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4
Engine: hemi 6.4/ 4.56 gears/ AirLift 5000
Sounds like a tall order for the Hemi. While the Specs boast a 15k towing capacity, thinking you will find the quality of towing at that weight quite poor. Even with the 4.10 gearing. While there is no doubt you can tow 15k, having to run in the 4k and up range for rpms when in higher elevations especially, doesn't equate to "good" towing to me. Guess a little "old school" where I don't like having to run at high rpms to be able to pull normally. Of course, if the power is needed for a short burst, that's different. That's where the 4.56 gearing shines. Just thinking that about 12k would be a very comfortable tow weight. As for the air bags, Installed the Air Lift 5000 before leaving. While not really needing it because of the drop (2"), it does keep the truck at factory height, lessens the pin shock of the 5'er, and also keeps the headlamps in align so as not getting flashed continually. Testament, after 16k towing a 14k 5'er through all of mainland Alaska, no shock or suspension problems period. Very happy. Good Luck with your choice.
Bigdaddy and jorn like this.
KarL45 is offline   Reply With Quote