Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys

This is a discussion on I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy I got them in today, I have one question do you have to take the tires ...

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2016, 12:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I got them in today, I have one question do you have to take the tires off or can I just maybe let down my spare and go from their? Oh yeah also do you have one or two air fitting to fill them up? Thank you for your reply or whoever answer this.
I had my local shop install mine but watched a bit as they worked and am pretty sure they didn't remove the wheels. I seem to remember them jacking up the rear to let the wheels hang so they could get as much working space as possible.

I have two air fittings but can't really see why I'd ever need different pressure in either side. You'll love these bags. Other than the 5th I've never really maxed out my current ones on my Hemi. On my old Dmax I had the same Firestone's and loaded that truck with all kinds of crazy stuff - 3000# of sheetrock, a yard+ of gravel, etc. With enough air you can pretty much prevent your truck from sagging at all if you don't want it to.
Bigdaddy likes this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:08 AM   #22 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 6.4L Hemi
Thank you guys for all of your comments, and believe me I do honor all comments here, I knew that if I come here to ask that I will get the answer I'm looking for.

"SLT 4x4/Spray Bedliner/Big Horn Edition/ Step Bar/Front Tinted Windows/Bakflip Bed Cover/AMP Step bed Step/'20' Wheels/ Tailgate Assist
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #23 (permalink)

Name: NOYB

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Cummins 6.7
Default I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys
I got them in today, I have one question do you have to take the tires off or can I just maybe let down my spare and go from their? Oh yeah also do you have one or two air fitting to fill them up? Thank you for your reply or whoever answer this.

I installed mine while laying on my back in the driveway. Took about 20min total. Didn't remove anything (other than the bump stops).

I installed separate valves for each bag. There's an argument out there that if you connect the bags together you could amplify the body roll. This is demonstrated by placing the bags side by side and placing a single line between them. Push one bag down and watch what happens to the other bag. Now some will claim that it's not an issue and it doesn't seem to bother on tractor trailers that use the same concept. As for me, I don't really care what other people's theories are. It's my truck and I'll set it up the way I want. As for you, do some reading around and come to your own conclusion. I think you'll be happy either way.
Bigdaddy likes this.

2013 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4x4
Mega-Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Engine: 6.4 hemi
Big Daddy, didn't you just buy a TT this summer?

Anyway.. onto the 5er. As mentioned, your gonna run out of payload really quick. Also, are those #'s you posted from the brochures, or actuall #'s from the sticker on the rig's? If there from the brochures, the pin WT will definitely be more than advertised.

Not going to be the weight police, but "if" something happens accident wise where someone in another vehicle gets hurt, weather it's your fault on not, you could be in hot water if it comes out you were over specs.

Just something to think about.
Bigdaddy likes this.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:12 AM   #25 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 6.4L Hemi
Originally Posted by Mega-Hemi View Post
I installed mine while laying on my back in the driveway. Took about 20min total. Didn't remove anything (other than the bump stops).

I installed separate valves for each bag. There's an argument out there that if you connect the bags together you could amplify the body roll. This is demonstrated by placing the bags side by side and placing a single line between them. Push one bag down and watch what happens to the other bag. Now some will claim that it's not an issue and it doesn't seem to bother on tractor trailers that use the same concept. As for me, I don't really care what other people's theories are. It's my truck and I'll set it up the way I want. As for you, do some reading around and come to your own conclusion. I think you'll be happy either way.

Now this is very interesting, I've been hearing both also and the one that did the one fitting said that they don't have a problem. Now I did email Firestone tech and he told me that I could do it, because I have no plan on loading my load uneven. I have to decide on which way I want to do this, I just got my air bag in last Friday and are planning on installing them soon. Thank you for your comment.

Originally Posted by mowin View Post
Big Daddy, didn't you just buy a TT this summer?

Anyway.. onto the 5er. As mentioned, your gonna run out of payload really quick. Also, are those #'s you posted from the brochures, or actuall #'s from the sticker on the rig's? If there from the brochures, the pin WT will definitely be more than advertised.

Not going to be the weight police, but "if" something happens accident wise where someone in another vehicle gets hurt, weather it's your fault on not, you could be in hot water if it comes out you were over specs.

Just something to think about.

Yes I did just pick up our TT but I see that I might have to rethink this all together, we did went to look at the ones that we were thinking about and find out real quick that I will take a big hit.

I told the wife and she agree that we are going to just enjoy the one we have for a few years and maybe later try again. Talk to MADDOG and looking at his spread sheet I would be over all of those 5th Wheel so we are backing off those.

But now we was also the same day looking at some Cougar 5th Wheel that will fit my truck, but before I totally give up I'm planning on looking at the Jayco 5th Wheel, maybe start with the 29.5 RLT. Thank you sir for your input.

"SLT 4x4/Spray Bedliner/Big Horn Edition/ Step Bar/Front Tinted Windows/Bakflip Bed Cover/AMP Step bed Step/'20' Wheels/ Tailgate Assist

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 01-02-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #26 (permalink)

Engine: 6.4 hemi
Also look for used 5er's. I found mine on a dealers lot for a whole lot less than new.

Funny thing is my neighbors niece and her husband bought it new the Yr before, but wanted a bigger triple axle 5er and traded in. When I went to look at it, I found a receipt in one of the cabinets. Recognized the name, so I got ahold of them and asked about any issues they had, which were minor.
Bigdaddy likes this.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #27 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Having bought 2 new TT's in the last 7 years, I'll never buy another new one. RV dealers suck worse then any auto dealer I've dealt with. And I've dealt with numerous quality and build issues with both TT'S. From now on it will be a 3 or 4 year old unit that's been debugged by the previous owners..

Old 01-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #28 (permalink)

Name: NOYB

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Cummins 6.7
^^Great advice there. Warranty is nice but not when your trailer spends 2/3 of the camping season sitting on the service lot because they're waiting on parts or putting the high end class A's ahead of you.
Bigdaddy likes this.

2013 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4x4
Mega-Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #29 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine: Hemi, 6.4L
Now this is very interesting, I've been hearing both also and the one that did the one fitting said that they don't have a problem. Now I did email Firestone tech and he told me that I could do it, because I have no plan on loading my load uneven. I have to decide on which way I want to do this, I just got my air bag in last Friday and are planning on installing them soon. Thank you for your comment.

Yes I did just pick up our TT but I see that I might have to rethink this all together, we did went to look at the ones that we were thinking about and find out real quick that I will take a big hit.

I told the wife and she agree that we are going to just enjoy the one we have for a few years and maybe later try again. Talk to MADDOG and looking at his spread sheet I would be over all of those 5th Wheel so we are backing off those.

But now we was also the same day looking at some Cougar 5th Wheel that will fit my truck, but before I totally give up I'm planning on looking at the Jayco 5th Wheel, maybe start with the 29.5 RLT. Thank you sir for your input.
Good plan BD, slow down and think this through. You don't want to go too big on the trailer, then not have enough truck
Bigdaddy likes this.
GsRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #30 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016 2500 HD Crew Cab Hemi 4x4
We just bought a new Keystone Hideout 30' 5th wheel and pull with a 6.4 2500 4x4. It pulls good, has enough power and is pretty stable. The RV only weighs 8.000 pounds. At the weights you are looking at, I would opt for a dually 3500 and a Cummins.

We took a 12,000 pound 5th wheel to Arizona from Illinois a few years ago....had an f250 powerstroke and it was pretty well all it could handle....the motor was ok, but I wished we had an F350 dually for stability....going through New Mexico and Arizona with those cross winds was brutal
Bigdaddy likes this.

2016 Keystone Hideout
5th wheel
zogg is offline   Reply With Quote