Installing electric brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elliott000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, we bought a 2016 sport lightly used with 8000 km. It has every friggin option except the trailer brake. Im wondering what my options are to install one, im pretty sure i can handle the install myself,l. But do i want oem control aftermarket. Do they all go in that pocket beside my airbag control? Thanks guys, 1500 hemi hauling a 24' travel trailer

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Spend the couple of extra buck for the OEM brake controller and to have to sales code added to the truck. You can buy the controller and install it yourself then take it to the dealer to add the sales code.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I just installed my factory brake controller. It was an easy install but somewhat frustrating.
An hour is reasonable if you have small flexible arms for installing the bracket.
I spent an hour and a half trying to get those self tapping bracket screws in place.
I ended up drilling out the mounting holes and used nuts and bolts, had it installed in under 15 minutes.

I have a GDE tune and was concerned about flashing the ECM to activate the controller.
My great service manager only charged me 60.00 to flash and preserved my GDE tune.
His tech plugged in my spare stock PCM/ECM to flash the brake controller sales code which activates the unit.
Then he replugged in my GDE tuned PCM/ECM and all is good.

I had installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller (probably the best aftermarket controller available) and a plug and play Ram wire harness but didn't like it hanging under the dash and was an occasional knee knocker.

Here ia a good video for installing the factory unit. Worth watching before you decide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QwNAbd_R0Y#t=1116.0689032

Here are the install instructions.
http://moparonlineparts.com/docs/82215040.pdf

OP
OP
E

elliott000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called the dealership and they want 200 for labor and almost 380 for parts. Ill probably buy one from mopar online, install er and then pay them to program it. Im gunna go with the oem one tho just for clran install and whatever it will display on the cluster. Whats the deal once they flash the computer, does it come with instructions on adjustments and gain etc

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Local dealer here sells the controller installed for $355 or $290 over the parts counter. You may want to shop around.

P3 with harness is ~$135. I don't have the center console, so there is no knee interference issue.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called the dealership and they want 200 for labor and almost 380 for parts. Ill probably buy one from mopar online, install er and then pay them to program it. Im gunna go with the oem one tho just for clran install and whatever it will display on the cluster. Whats the deal once they flash the computer, does it come with instructions on adjustments and gain etc

No instructions but the RAM user manual mentions something about it.

All the settings are in the EVIC, heavy electric, light electric. Gain controls are on the controller itself. The EVIC also tracks miles towed and can display trailer brake percentage applied as you are braking.

I love the OEM controller.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i bought on ebay and installed myself.
its a real bear, there is no clearance, and you basically have to do the whole job "blind"

1/4 extension and metric flex sockets are a must for this.

OP
OP
E

elliott000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought one for 340 canadian bucks. Got er in and it's getting flashed as we speak. Frick its a pain in the but to get the last third bolt up high!

BPStymiest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the part number for the Mopar brake controller? I have a 2017 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 1500 4x2.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just called my local dealership and they quoted me $500 parts and labor. Northeast Florida... $290 for the parts specifically. Is this reasonable?

allmoparparts.com has it listed for $245. I am going to bring the printed listing off the site and ask if they can match it.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just called my local dealership and they quoted me $500 parts and labor. Northeast Florida... $290 for the parts specifically. Is this reasonable?

allmoparparts.com has it listed for $245. I am going to bring the printed listing off the site and ask if they can match it.

You really can install yourself it's not bad. Call your dealer and ask them what their programming fee is, that's what I'd be more concerned with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01