Issues backing up hill with trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sabre170

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
First timer here. Asking a question for my dad.

2014 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4, tradesman crewcab
Trailer: 1200lb 5th wheel trailer.

Truck pulls in forward with no issues with trailer.

Truck backs trailer on flat ground with no issues.

When backing the trailer up his driveway hill, the truck is able to back it up almost all the way with no issues. The last 10 feet, however, the grade on the driveway gets just a bit steeper. When it reaches this point, the truck begins to act as if some sort of power governor is kicking in. The engine (verified by engine and also exhaust outfit) begins almost making a "bucking" type noise. I can watch his rear drive shaft, and when this bucking noise starts, the drive shaft goes from rotating smoothly to more of a ratcheting motion. Also, as soon as the truck starts this, the rpm's drop by about 500.

The best I can describe this is like a car that has a speed governor....when you hit that speed, the engine begins to run rough, jerky, and almost a little power deprived. This is very close to how the truck acts when backing up the last portion of the hill.

I would love to hear someone's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
2 possible things in my mind. 1 axle wrapping maybe and putting the drive shaft in a bind. Is his truck a 4wd? You can try 4lo or putting it in 4wd high press and hold traction control button for approx 10 second untill you see stability control off pop up on the dash. It will turn stability control off fully but this only works on the 4wd trucks.

OP
OP
S

Sabre170

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes 4WD. It happens in 4Hi and 4Lo, regardless. Never tried the stability control off, however, with it happening in 4lo, that is a null and void argument, yes?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Yes 4WD. It happens in 4Hi and 4Lo, regardless. Never tried the stability control off, however, with it happening in 4lo, that is a null and void argument, yes?

Yep makes it's null and void because 4lo turns off stability control. Must be binding some how.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
How heavy Is the trailer? Your OP says 1200lbs is that suppose to be 12k or 1200 pin? Bc 1200 seems off.

OP
OP
S

Sabre170

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How heavy Is the trailer? Your OP says 1200lbs is that suppose to be 12k or 1200 pin? Bc 1200 seems off.

Sorry...typo there. The "dry" and empty weight of the trailer is 10,500. With water and gear, we assumed 11k min, and I typed 12k to play it safe.

So trailer weighs between 11-12k

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you sure you don't have any wires getting pinched or similar on your trailer that is engaging the brakes ?? or a connector that gets tight ?? Like maybe your trailers emergency brake cable ?? I had that happen once.

Good ground between truck & trailer since at steeper angles the hitch can for sure not be trusted (shouldn't be anyway but just asking)

This sounds like a surge brake equipped trailer with a bad solenoid, even tho I know it doesn't have surge brakes.

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Are you sure you don't have any wires getting pinched or similar on your trailer that is engaging the brakes ?? or a connector that gets tight ?? Like maybe your trailers emergency brake cable ?? I had that happen once.

This sounds like a surge brake equipped trailer with a bad solenoid, even tho I know it doesn't have surge brakes.

Good thought on the cable. And I had the same thought about the surge brakes my boss has a boat that has issues with his surge brakes or use to have issues. But a camper shouldn't have surge brakes.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, my boat trailer left nice ruts in my yard once when the solenoids went bad.....truck just backed up.....then I saw the mess.

I had the emergency cable on my gooseneck get pulled when I was making a sharp turn cuz I had it attached on 1 side of the bed vice the center. Didn't do much to stop that dually, but I did feel it when it hit.

OP
OP
S

Sabre170

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Good ground between truck & trailer since at steeper angles the hitch can for sure not be trusted (shouldn't be anyway but just asking)

This was a thought too, however when we disconnect the brake cable that goes to the truck (I.e. Disable the trailer brakes completely), the problem is still present.

I have a co-worker with work that suggested maybe the hill assist malfunctioning on the truck?!? Is this possible?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If the hill assist is malfunctioning maybe but I would lay down and watch under the truck next time he has to back it up there and see if you can tell of the axle angle changes or if the drive shaft looks like it might be binding a little bit. Seems most logical in my mind.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there any tire spin? Losing traction can sometime result in hop.

My leaf spung equipped 2500 would axle wrap, hop, and buck/shudder when backing even a light trailer up a steep hill. Being a diesel it didn't lose power, but sounded and felt like the truck was falling apart, sometimes the tires would bounce off the ground as the gained and lost traction.

I installed heavy duty ladder bars made for this purpose which worked well for a couple years until its welds broke. There is a lot of stress on the suspension during these maneuvers.

Last edited:

GUNNOE20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know this was discussed, but it sounds exactly like what mine does when backing a trailer under the same conditions and the traction control kicks it.... even with the TC "off" sometimes my truck steps in and plays nanny... but the hill assist idea is worth checking into... may not work but if you have at least the 5.0 radio you can go onto the settings and turn the hill assist off and see if that helps?

oisin98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
backing trailer on hill issues

Has any one figured out the issue of backing trailer up an incline? I have the same issue. 2015 2500 Ram 4x4. Gooseneck horse trailer weights around 6500lbs. I've tried in 4low, 4high, brakes disconnected, hill assist off/on...etc.

oisin98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Issues backing up hill with trailer Reply to Thread

My 2015 has coil springs...is it possible to install the ladder bars and would it make a difference?