K2 Motor Tow Mirrors Installed W/Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mxblaster83

mxblaster83

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
MX; Thank's again. I ordered a set from K2 last nite should be in next week. Can't wait to put them on .Thank's for the great write up on install Tux.

no prob man, hope you enjoy them as much as i do. hopefully yours isnt broken like mine when i got them, well see what i mean for the packing job they do.
any question just pm me. cheers

tux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
MX; Thank's. L8TR Tux.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
the only vibration i see is when i close my door, i crank up my system and only my rearview shakes. when the mirrors are pulled up 90 degrees they shake a little when i hit bumps nothing too bad, i ordered some brackets for them.

I'm glad I found this thread... Just in time! I don't have tow mirrors and was wondering what I was going to do. I just purchased a travel trailer yesterday (I haven't taken delivery yet so no photos). More phone calls today finalizing everything. I read that you have a fifth wheel. My wife loves them and we got a travel trailer because I was concerned with weight. If you don't' mind, what's the heaviest weight you've pulled?

Back to the real meat...You mentioned you ordered brackets... which brackets did you order and did they make a difference in supporting the mirrors?

Thx in advance for letting me pick your brain.

tux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
K2 Tow Mirrors.

Just an update.Got the K2 Tow mirrors today.Look great.Will update when i install. To cold with snow and rain to be popping plastic pins on door panels.So far this looks like a quick easy mod at the right price.K2 Motors Customer Service was great good people to deal with. Tux.

grzmnky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mxBlaster.... i ordered a pair after reading this post and installed them today. almost a perfect install. i noticed once i was done and started the truck my check engine light was on and the outside temp showed -40. immediately i knew the problem. the outside temp sender is in the mirrors. well actually in the drives on a ram, pass on a ford superduty. anyway i had to take my stock mirror apart and remove the sensor. i cut off the factory pigtail from the stock mirror as well. i swapped pigtails and added the temp sensor. there wasnt a place to put the sensor in the mirror so i left it in between the door and door panel. started the truck and registerd close to outside temp and no check engine light. jsut a heads up for yall who are interested in the swap.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
mxBlaster.... i ordered a pair after reading this post and installed them today. almost a perfect install. i noticed once i was done and started the truck my check engine light was on and the outside temp showed -40. immediately i knew the problem. the outside temp sender is in the mirrors. well actually in the drives on a ram, pass on a ford superduty. anyway i had to take my stock mirror apart and remove the sensor. i cut off the factory pigtail from the stock mirror as well. i swapped pigtails and added the temp sensor. there wasnt a place to put the sensor in the mirror so i left it in between the door and door panel. started the truck and registerd close to outside temp and no check engine light. jsut a heads up for yall who are interested in the swap.

Took the mirror apart how? You mean you took the mirror out our is there another way to disassemble them? I just ordered the same mirrors.

I'm going to miss my turn signals and pale lights. I'm already looking for an led alternative.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

tux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tow Mirrors

I'm wondering if the i3s are different than the 11s and 12s.Maybe MXblaster will chime in.He did not say anything in his posts about the sensor.As far as taking the mirror apart I think there is a tread in the DIY section.Tux.

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
The temp sensor is inside the drivers side mirror. You have to disassemble the mirror to get the sensor out. Then you have to wire it into the towing mirror plug. So pull sensor out, pop the pin out of the wire harness for temp sensor on stock mirror and pop it into the harness for towing mirrors. I did mine in less than an hour from disassembly to install.

grzmnky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The temp sensor is inside the drivers side mirror. You have to disassemble the mirror to get the sensor out. Then you have to wire it into the towing mirror plug. So pull sensor out, pop the pin out of the wire harness for temp sensor on stock mirror and pop it into the harness for towing mirrors. I did mine in less than an hour from disassembly to install.

yep did the same thing. its just there is no place to put the sensor in the new mirrors. so i just tie strapped it to the wire harness in the drivers door and put the panel back on. it works. it may not be 100% accurate with the true outside temp but no check engine light or -40 on the dash anymore

tux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just installed the K2 Tow Mirrors.Easy install the second mirror was a total of about 20 mins.Had no issues with temp sensor or check engine light. The 2012 must be different than the 2013.No vibrations that i could see.Great product am really glad i got them.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Just installed the K2 Tow Mirrors.Easy install the second mirror was a total of about 20 mins.Had no issues with temp sensor or check engine light. The 2012 must be different than the 2013.No vibrations that i could see.Great product am really glad i got them.
I'm waiting for my k2 mirrors to arrive. Mine are coming with the support brackets.

Did you just eliminate the temp sensor?

I'm still trying to understand the disassembly of the mirror. Everyone says they disassembled it but they haven't explained how...

tux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
K2 tow Mirrors.

Birddog: Check out threads on the DIY section on Mirror disasemble and another one on door panel removeal. The ones talking about the temp sensor have 2013s.i just put mine on and no issues with the temp sensor. Don't bother taking the two wire harness out of the window and lock they are a bit*h. Just lift the panel up and set it on a support.Also be sure to take the plastic cover from behind the door handle off and on install put the plastic cover back on before the one screw. Read the post on DIY and be sure to have someone hold the mirror when you bolt it on.easy install like I said 20 mins. Hope this helps, tux. P.S. Mine is a 2012 like yours just took a short run with them and no vibrations i could see and the 9 miles out to the hwy from my place is rough.

tux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
k2 Mirrors.

Birddog; one other thing you said you are getting the support brackets witch are mentioned in K2 add. i e-mailed them and was informed that the mirror it's self has extra suport in it. If you get extra brackets with the mirrors please let me know. you can see the extra brackets on one of the DIY threads Thank's tux

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
Birddog; one other thing you said you are getting the support brackets witch are mentioned in K2 add. i e-mailed them and was informed that the mirror it's self has extra suport in it. If you get extra brackets with the mirrors please let me know. you can see the extra brackets on one of the DIY threads Thank's tux

I sent the seller an email asking about the support brackets and he said they were included but we never discussed their description. When I get the mirrors I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for answering my question, I'll look for the diy thread.

tux

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Birddog Thank's i will be interested. tux

grzmnky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About dissecting the 2013 drivers mirror .... I cut the factory mirror plug off and wired it in to the k2 wiring except one blk and the white wire. They are next to each other and are for the temp sensor. Now on the factory mirror itself pop off the cover where the sensor is and remove it. Cut off the pigtail and wire it to the white and blk wires you don't use on the mirror harness. I tied the sensor to the big wire harness for the whole door and put the door panel back on. It reads temp. It is slightly off but no check engine light

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
About dissecting the 2013 drivers mirror .... I cut the factory mirror plug off and wired it in to the k2 wiring except one blk and the white wire. They are next to each other and are for the temp sensor. Now on the factory mirror itself pop off the cover where the sensor is and remove it. Cut off the pigtail and wire it to the white and blk wires you don't use on the mirror harness. I tied the sensor to the big wire harness for the whole door and put the door panel back on. It reads temp. It is slightly off but no check engine light

Great instructions, thanks. I have a 2012 but I also have the temp sensor so I started to worry about the extra work involved. I don't want to eliminate my sensor if I get a check engine light or not. I like having that temp Guage in the rig. I'm trying to plan keeping my turn signals and puddle lights also. My idea is to replace them with surface led strip lights. Then the only thing I won't have anymore is the auto tinted mirrors for jerks that follow me with high beam headlamps on. I wonder if there is a way to replace the actual glass mirror but then again they are probably different sizes. If all works out I'll post some pics of how I did it so everyone else can get ideas. My k2's should be here by Friday if the shipping email is correct.

grzmnky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your welcome Good luck. You will love them!

OP
OP
mxblaster83

mxblaster83

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sorry guys i have been in camp for the last 2 weeks.

i had no problems with a engine light ot temp sensor. i think thats a 2013 thing.
i bought my brackets from the dealer they were for a 2012 2500.

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Yep pre 2013 have temp sensor in front grill area. They moved it in 2013 to make room for the optional grill shutter system.