Larry took out the Denali this Weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Had a lot of fun. Been a while since I had it out due to family issues.

Larry_Denali_2_zpsi1syvszb.jpg

Larry_Denali_1_zpsuzkx6nve.jpg

LOL! Can I get a MOD to fix Weekend, please!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
FYI - Dutchem Denali 289RK (rear Kitchen)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great. I bet is really comfy! Looks almost big enough for a triple axle.
Jay

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
It is very plush. 34' tad over 7000lbs dry. Here are inside pictures... Full sized bath, even a real toilet :)

Kitchen_Out_zps946244c9.jpg

Door_Out_zps5098ecac.jpg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ruff'n it I see. Looks really sharp. How does it pull?
Jay

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ruff'n it I see. Looks really sharp. How does it pull?
Jay

Pulls fine. Truck has 3.92s and factory TBC. And I run the Load leveling/trailer sway bars. The trailer has a good set of brakes also.

If you manage the weight properly it has very little bounce, push or shock while moving at all speeds. Worst I have done with my Sport was 6% grade for about 3.5 miles and it did fine with same trailer and truck. It was my 2015 Sport with 3.92 also.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Wow that is a nice camper

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Beautiful rig , very nice

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I can't see it I guess that I need to update some software, but I have the 287RE the wife and I love it.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nice trailer!! I have the same floor plan in my Jayco Eagle. Mine is about the same weight, but my tongue iss about 1500lbs loaded up, so I was overloading my Tundra pretty bad. But, that led to my 2500 Ram 6.4, which I love every time I drive it!!

Overall, my 6.4 pulls about the same as my Tundra did, but man it made a HUGE difference in sway and handling going to the 2500.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW you can pull that with a 1500 thats awsome gives me some hope for future travel trailer shopping

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
WOW you can pull that with a 1500 thats awsome gives me some hope for future travel trailer shopping

This would be the exception and not the rule. To handle a trailer of thst size and weight with a 1500 series truck, you need everything set up perfectly. A very good wdh and experience. That rig is a huge sail behind a 1500 and again, if you have the set up perfect and you have the experience, it's doable.

In general terms, for half ton towing, i like to be between 6-7k loaded trailer weight and 25' overall and under, but that's just me. You need to check your weights. Airbags do not increase payload, they only level the truck. I would think the farmer is very close to or over his payload rating with that rig, but he seems to have things figured out so maybe not.

If we figure he's at least 8k loaded weight, at 12% tongue weight, that's 960lbs. So not much left for passengers in the truck and cargo in the bed. Payload is the limiting factor in half ton trucks. Many times they run out of payload well before the tow rating is ever reached. Good luck

Last edited:

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see what you mean but damn that is a good picture. im gonna miss my 1500 when i switch over to the cummins

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Please don't - pick another thread.

Good and accurate advice should be welcome in any thread. I feel like I'm watching CNN only getting a convenient snippet of the entire story. This is 100% true and good advice from GsRam:

GsRam said:
This would be the exception and not the rule. To handle a trailer of thst size and weight with a 1500 series truck, you need everything set up perfectly. A very good wdh and experience. That rig is a huge sail behind a 1500 and again, if you have the set up perfect and you have the experience, it's doable.

In general terms, for half ton towing, i like to be between 6-7k loaded trailer weight and 25' overall and under, but that's just me. You need to check your weights. Airbags do not increase payload, they only level the truck. I would think the farmer is very close to or over his payload rating with that rig, but he seems to have things figured out so maybe not.

If we figure he's at least 8k loaded weight, at 12% tongue weight, that's 960lbs. So not much left for passengers in the truck and cargo in the bed. Payload is the limiting factor in half ton trucks. Many times they run out of payload well before the tow rating is ever reached. Good luck

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks moto. Farmer, I'm not criticizing what your doing, if your within all your ratings its your choice. Or if your overweight, but have the proper set up and experience to tow your rig safely, that's your choice. I will never advocate exceeding weight ratings. But that's just me.

I just don't want others who have never towed anything to see your set up and think they can hook a 34' rig to their half ton and race down the road at 70+ mph, then wind up posting here that they rolled it over on the highway, or worse injured or killled someone else in the proccess. I'm a former LEO, so yes, I've seen it happen, firsthand.

Had it not been for Devins comment I'd have not said anything. You have a beautiful TT and truck. Very nice.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im with Him ^^^..That's a Beautiful Rig and Camper, But Sorry I don't look at that setup and get the all warm and Fuzzies.. Many of us on here Tow Campers as you do and just are of the mindset that when we see a setup like that, potential numbers start running through our head regarding Payloads, Braking, truck etc.. Especially since the Ram 1500 is typically at the low end of payload numbers. We certainly mean no offense, and if you are comfortable with it, then thats all that matters, but as GsRam said, I certainly wouldn't want the average newbie to look at a setup like that and think no problem..
Hell, we had a Guy on the forest river Forums buy a 17 3/4 ton turbo Diesel Ram and Order a 5th wheel at the same time, well because it's a diesel and RV salesman said that it would pull anything off the lot.. After some number crunching we concluded he was probably over 1000 LBS over his limit..