The little R/T that could

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hauled home another toy. Was very impressed how solid she felt towing at or just over her max rating. This isn't something i want to do with her all the time just didnt have the time to go get a HD truck from the farm.
b8b34ca416823d1cd5747454b2e71cfa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at this picI just realized out of all the 4 wheel toys I have not one of them have 4 doors.....

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I like your Ram but I would be lying if I didn't tell you that I am more interested in what's rolling on the back. Looks like she's in decent shape still or was well looked after. I'd love to find one in that good of shape.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah its not too bad, its a 88 had its bumps and bruises but over all the body and paint is about a 6 on my scale. I picked it up for 1800 with a ton of extra parts. Has dakota digital gauges and seats out if a late model tahoe retrofitted in it. Has 4:10 gears.

Needs a new lower end motor and a good cleaning and tires. Im prob going to change all the interior panels and carpet and call the interior good, throw some tire on it a new short block and drive it till i source a 00-05 motor/comp to swap into it... she will eventually become my little girls first vehicle so i have 16 years to build it right.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I guess the new transmission is working well. Not sure if this helps but I have a 350 small block complete motor out of a monte carlo with a recent rebuild and ran fine. Just been in my garage for 2 years after a crate motor swap. It's yours if you need it to get your new toy running. And you know my usual payment method.....

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess the new transmission is working well. Not sure if this helps but I have a 350 small block complete motor out of a monte carlo with a recent rebuild and ran fine. Just been in my garage for 2 years after a crate motor swap. It's yours if you need it to get your new toy running. And you know my usual payment method.....

He'll yes... can't pass up a deal like that.. spare parts are a plus .... 2 cases this time lol? Let me know what your schedule looks like. I have wildland fire training this next weekend but maybe available Sunday afternoon

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
He'll yes... can't pass up a deal like that.. spare parts are a plus .... 2 cases this time lol? Let me know what your schedule looks like. I have wildland fire training this next weekend but maybe available Sunday afternoon

you're helping me out too, it'll be nice to free up floor space in my shop as I'm going to be starting my 72 D100 restore soon. and I'd NEVER put a chevy motor in a dodge.

my liver still hurts from trying to show those IPA's you dropped off last time, who the boss is. But no one likes a quitter. PM sent.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hauled home another toy. Was very impressed how solid she felt towing at or just over her max rating. This isn't something i want to do with her all the time just didnt have the time to go get a HD truck from the farm.
b8b34ca416823d1cd5747454b2e71cfa.jpg

What hitch are you using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Receiver drop height or the hitch itself???

Its a factory hitch and brake controller, with this trailer I use a 5-1/4" drop hitch turned upside down to keep the trailer in the right level range.
My dump trailer I use a 4" drop whenever I pull it, but I'm trying to get away from pulling things with this truck.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Geeze that thing is low. Do you have helper bags or...?

This was mine lowered:
11249019_10206288787532406_2073054114190384430_n_zpso4ihi3sy.jpg

And back to stock springs:
13103497_10208396567545589_6169250796971102879_n_zps8kdclzc2.jpg

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate to bring this thread back up but is there anything reliable out there for the actual tow ratings on an R/T. I have a 2013 and have the ram truck page up. If I go by that I can only tow a really light trailer (2,200lbs once calculations are done). My manual simply states the class IV hitch is rated for 11,000lbs which is about right. It then goes on to say the standard tow rating is 5,000lbs and the Max is 10,000lbs. Found another site and the rating is different there too.

I am looking at a new travel trailer that is 3,700lbs dry and a max weight of 7,000lbs. I will never put that much stuff in the trailer or the truck. The trailer tongue weight is 320 dry so close to 500lbs with propane, battery, etc. I will only ever put around 1500lbs max in the trailer but I am trying to figure if I would go over the rating or not.

We are planning on getting a new tow vehicle in the future but that is a little ways out. Anyway, the towing capacity is driving me nuts. \

As for wear and tear, most of the towing will be somewhat local (no more than an hour away) and once a year for a longer trip. If I need to get a lighter trailer there is another one that will work but this one has the exact features we are looking for.

I have never had this issue with a tow vehicle before. I know I shouldn't have bought an R/T to tow with and that was not the intention. The tow vehicle we had we needed to get rid of due to problems and just want to wait to buy another one.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate to bring this thread back up but is there anything reliable out there for the actual tow ratings on an R/T. I have a 2013 and have the ram truck page up. If I go by that I can only tow a really light trailer (2,200lbs once calculations are done). My manual simply states the class IV hitch is rated for 11,000lbs which is about right. It then goes on to say the standard tow rating is 5,000lbs and the Max is 10,000lbs. Found another site and the rating is different there too.

I am looking at a new travel trailer that is 3,700lbs dry and a max weight of 7,000lbs. I will never put that much stuff in the trailer or the truck. The trailer tongue weight is 320 dry so close to 500lbs with propane, battery, etc. I will only ever put around 1500lbs max in the trailer but I am trying to figure if I would go over the rating or not.

We are planning on getting a new tow vehicle in the future but that is a little ways out. Anyway, the towing capacity is driving me nuts. \

As for wear and tear, most of the towing will be somewhat local (no more than an hour away) and once a year for a longer trip. If I need to get a lighter trailer there is another one that will work but this one has the exact features we are looking for.

I have never had this issue with a tow vehicle before. I know I shouldn't have bought an R/T to tow with and that was not the intention. The tow vehicle we had we needed to get rid of due to problems and just want to wait to buy another one.

Yeah I believe the tow rating is 5300# or 5800# somewhere around there. A 7k trailer would be over a little but with helper bags and such it would probably be fine, I wont advise yes or know cause that would be in your comfort zone as to if you want to push it,

I am slightly modified in the rear with the lowering kit and other dodads and no air assist, With that blazer weighing in at around 5000# I think and that trailer is about 2k I was between 6k-7k and honestly It pulled it and more importantly stopped it better than I was expecting. I would pull with it around that weight again without hesitation. Vehicle control also spot on. would I suggest or tell someone they will be fine overweight, well no, but I will say I have no issues with towing up to 7k on my little R/T without worry of damaging it.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, Honestly the trailer can max out at 7k but will be right around 4500 to 4700lbs loaded. It only weighs 3700lbs dry. Starting to not worry about it. Mainly was annoyed with the different information there is even from Chrysler.