Long tt towing. What can I expect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Looking at an Apex 300 bhs of I sell my current trailer and wondering what I can expect while towing. Not sure of overall length but probably 32-34' @ 6000 lbs empty.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's allot of trailer for that 1500. The wind will play Hell with you for sure. I'd be worried about the tail wagging the dog.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500, Hemi 5.7, 3.21
The day I picked up my 21' TT (~25' overall length, 4500lb dry weight), the wind was blowing 30-45mph. Lets just say it was not a fun 100 mile drive home. 30' and 6500lb would not be a pleasant experience, IMO.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I'm 28ish feet now with no away at all. 6300 empty. My finances may not allows to do this but I was just wondering

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow a Catalina 299 BH with my 1500. Now I will say you are not going to want to run at NASCAR speeds but I tow at 55-60 my and if I limit myself to that she goes just fine. I'm just under 5700#'s dry weight, run Airlift 5000's in the rear at 15 psi and have a WD hitch that is properly set up. Load the trailer accordingly and keep your speed in check. You will be fine. If the wind is blowing, plan a better route and/or slow down some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Stay tuned and I will let you know what 60km sidewinds are like with a 26 footer... I hope....

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Check the axle spacing on the TT. Like the commercial said, "wider is better.". Wind sucks (and yes, blows, haha) no matter what kind of box yer yanking. 32' won't be a problem so long as yer heads on straight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My oh my, breezy in Saskatchewan. Guess the good lord should've made anchovies a bit more aerodynamic. OP, that Apex clocks in @ 34'+ with a double slide. If yer talking the anniversary edition it's also got a power tongue jack (payload weight). On the upside it's only packing 2 20# lp's instead of 30's. Which model 1500 you planning on steering this big girl with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My knee jerk reaction would be to avoid this unless you're dead set on it. There are a pile of guys towing similar and the number of them that say "it pulls like a dream" are few. Ignoring weight since that can be within spec- that length will suck ass on a short 140" wheelbase. An extra 6' on the length of what you currently have could be a night and day difference.

Just my opinion- but if your finances may not allow this- just imagine what would happen to your finances if you did trade and then found yourself needing a bigger truck to handle it :/

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Just my opinion- but if your finances may not allow this- just imagine what would happen to your finances if you did trade and then found yourself needing a bigger truck to handle it :/

I can't speak for pulling a long trailer other than goose neck I have pulled with my dads 3/4 but that's a another league so I won't speak from that side, but what smurfs said is pretty true don't mean to noseing in on your finances but if it's hard to afford and you do realize you need a bigger truck life will suck when your paying for a trailer you can pull or sell.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I thought you had a long trailer ****. And smurf I wasn't sure about yours but looks like we have the same size now. Audio1der hasn't chimed in but I think his tt has some length too.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
These answers is why I ask here. Gotta get the wife to understand these things. She thinks I can just hook up and pull whatever. I did too until I came on here and learned a little...
It got me to stop pulling way over weight although it took me some time to give in.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
These answers is why I ask here. Gotta get the wife to understand these things. She thinks I can just hook up and pull whatever. I did too until I came on here and learned a little...
It got me to stop pulling way over weight although it took me some time to give in.

john55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 31' Outback, about 7k, I pulled it with my '02 1500 QC 4.7, it did alright, but I did some prep work first...4.56 gears, extra load tires, added a leaf to the rear springs, and watched our driving habits, 55 mph., no problem at all, but we are on flat ground, and I don't drive interstates either, so for us, it did fine...sure, a big diesel would be nice, but, not needed in my situation....

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Crossroads Zinger just shy of 34' bumper to ball. But I'm yanking it with a CC with the 6'4" bed. Little extra wheelbase went a long way. Bags and e-rates to firm up the ride, BlueOx swaypro with the 1k bars. TT also has the secure stance axle spacing. Fully loaded #8400. Yep, my numbers are maxed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
This would be all flat 4 lane roads. I don't go or live near mountains

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought you had a long trailer ****. And smurf I wasn't sure about yours but looks like we have the same size now. Audio1der hasn't chimed in but I think his tt has some length too.

Sorry, been busy :)
We're 35.5' bumper to ball w/2 slides, 7K lbs loaded and we both wish we could either go back in time and keep it to 27', or have the $$ to upgrade the truck/afford the loss to trade down. Last year I was unexpectedly laid off from my well paying job, and it has thrown us for a loop, everything is harder now. The dream of getting a 3/4 is GONE and we really do have to make do.
I wouldn't wish more than 27-28' on any half ton. Not just for the wind/sway, but mobility and choice of camp spots. If you were closer I'd invite you to pull our marshmallow with your truck and see.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Gotta get the wife to understand these things. She thinks I can just hook up and pull whatever.

My wife thinks like that too, which is the reason we aren't pulling a nicely appointed pop-up or a hybrid. It was a war I wasn't going to win and it took forever to find a hard side that would be short enough, light enough, within budget and still sleep all of us. It still puts us overweight though :/

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Well I see her point. It's a long term investment and she wants the kids to have room. If she'd settle for just a 4 bunker it'd be an easy choice but damn she makes me pull my hair out and I'm about bald. Well I'll rethink this one....