Longer shank on hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grandpa Rick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500 CC SRW Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I am unable to drop my tailgate all the way down with my travel trailer hooked up to WD hitch because of the trailer jack placement. Do I need a longer shank ball mount or can I drill a new hole in the existing shank. Not a huge issue, just a pain in the butt.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a good idea to drill another hole. Have you looked at other jacks, other hitches? I have a cargo trailer - probably a lot lighter, I have the same issue plus I can't add a propane tank to tongue of trailer as the Jack handle interferes. Since my trailer is light I can use a side clamp Jack and cure my problems. But I do not like them. I do not need to use my weight distribution hitch for this trailer but noticed the ball is further out than my other hitches. So I'm using it, and a side crank Jack.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Turn your jack side ways. Like so. It turns. Just don't turn it with the trailer weight on the jack.

attachment.jpg

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^That works fine if you have a power tongue jack. If you have a manual jack with a handle which needs to clear the propane cover, you're S.O.L like the rest of us. The tailgate not lowering was the contributing factor to my dropping one of my 6V batteries while lifting out of the bed of the truck last summer :(

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I agree I wouldn't drill new hole I would get a different jack or a different ball mount with a longer shank. A farther back home could weakening the unit and causesing premature failure.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What flavor of WD? Almost all of the big manufacturers sell longer shank models. Etrailer is yer best friend.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had the same issue with mine. I purchased a Jack-E-Up. You unbolt the trailer jack from the trailer frame and mount this special connector to it instead. The jack itself gets a plate mounted to it. You slip the jack inside the connector and jack the trailer up. I thought it would be flimsy, but it's not. Once you set the trailer on the hitch and remove the pressure of the jack you can turn the jack a bit to take it completely off the trailer. It works perfectly!
http://jack-e-up.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidozer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
they make them, I built my own. I have a v nose enclosed cargo snowmobile trailer had same problem. I needed to drive with gate down to carry a snowmobile in the bed, it worked great. Look in northern tool.